Proximity/Passive Entry Tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie / 2020 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was scanning the forum tonight , just hangin out and a thought occurred to me.... yeah, I know, could be pretty scary!!

I looked around the forum and used the search bar but came up empty....

So, has anyone here tried a mod to install a passive entry/proximity in the tailgate handle? I wind up sometimes trying to get into the bed but fob is in my pocket and maybe not wanting to have to remotely unlocking the truck to just get in the bed... grabbing the tailgate latch and having it unlock like the front doors do, might be pretty handy...at least for me.

Anyone done this? Would a MOPAR drivers side door handle work and wire it into the circuit there?

Seems like a good start to a thread and discussion...

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you want to do what Fords been doing on their trucks for years? Tight be able to get the sensor from a door handle to work back on the tailgate, but I’m not sure if itt would work with the computer since it’s only expecting to see only the door sensor.

OP
OP
VA-RAM

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not a Ford guy so didn't know they have one that operates that way. Last Ford truck I had was a 95 F150 Lariat long bed, all power everything, two-tone white and teal, and twin tanks. Its been in NC doing farm duty for about 10 years now!!
I have heard of folks adding the passive entry to the RAMs rear doors and they work just like the front doors. I guess electrically, it is the same point of operation; the computer shouldn't be able to tell the difference between one and the other, just between left and right sides. If it is wired from one of the front doors, do yo think it would work just the same?

How is the Ford wired? is it separate handle and sensor for their computer to read?

Beemer533

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I actually am in the process of adding push button and proximity entry to my truck and I want to do exactly what you are talking about.

I bought an extra door antenna when I bought my other parts and I am still looking for a cheap handle to pull the proximity parts from.

My plan is to wire them in parallel with the drivers side handle and antenna.

It will probably be a while before I get it hooked up though.

OP
OP
VA-RAM

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually am in the process of adding push button and proximity entry to my truck and I want to do exactly what you are talking about.

I bought an extra door antenna when I bought my other parts and I am still looking for a cheap handle to pull the proximity parts from.

My plan is to wire them in parallel with the drivers side handle and antenna.

It will probably be a while before I get it hooked up though.

I think your parallel path plan with an additional door antenna is the right one....not sure how the BCM/computer would react to another passive entry handle wired in series...but a parallel path wih another antenna might just work, providing the BCM doesn't ignore it since it wouldn't be expecting 3 passive entry sensors or another antenna... I'll be looking at other possibilities for figuring this out, but following your build when it comes around.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not a Ford guy so didn't know they have one that operates that way. Last Ford truck I had was a 95 F150 Lariat long bed, all power everything, two-tone white and teal, and twin tanks. Its been in NC doing farm duty for about 10 years now!!
I have heard of folks adding the passive entry to the RAMs rear doors and they work just like the front doors. I guess electrically, it is the same point of operation; the computer shouldn't be able to tell the difference between one and the other, just between left and right sides. If it is wired from one of the front doors, do yo think it would work just the same?

How is the Ford wired? is it separate handle and sensor for their computer to read?

The Ford has a sensor on the tailgate. You touch it with the key nearby and the tailgate lowers by itself.

OP
OP
VA-RAM

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Ford has a sensor on the tailgate. You touch it with the key nearby and the tailgate lowers by itself.

Now if we can just figure out a simple way to make it close by itself also!!!

Beemer533

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think your parallel path plan with an additional door antenna is the right one....not sure how the BCM/computer would react to another passive entry handle wired in series...but a parallel path wih another antenna might just work, providing the BCM doesn't ignore it since it wouldn't be expecting 3 passive entry sensors or another antenna... I'll be looking at other possibilities for figuring this out, but following your build when it comes around.

I'm pretty certain it will work, I've seen at least a couple folks do basically the same thing with the rear doors so you can lock/unlock from all 4 doors.

I think they just ran the handles on each side of the truck in parallel with each other.

I'm not sure about the antennas though, so that will be an experiment.

OP
OP
VA-RAM

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
talking to some folks over on the 5th Gen forum and found out the 2021 Laramie and Limited's actually have passive entry tailgate latches...

Well...surprise. Just checked my wife's 2020 Laramie and lo and behold, the tail gate does have a passive entry switch and does not unlock the cab doors, just the tailgate. There isn't any way right now...to lock it from the tailgate latch (like the doors with their small buttons), but might could be added later.

One issue is the 19-20-21 Laramie tailgate latch is about twice the size of my 17 Laramie.... need to find one to see if it can be retrofitted in to mine.....

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
My multi function tailgate on my 21 Longhorn Limited opens from the key fob, it doesn’t have a sensor for passive entry…..I am jealous as many times, as you say, arms full, key in pocket!
I am going to double check now, you got me going. I do not remember seeing a sensor on my rear handle though. Maybe multi function can’t do it. ( or I am missing it!)

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know if this will help but my wife's Journey has a passive button on the tailgate latch that locks and unlocks it. Maybe find one of them and adapt it to your tailgate