Puff of smoke @ start up!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B0N3C0ll3CT0R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Bought my very first new vehicle and it turned out to be a 2018 RAM Power Wagon w/the 6.4 Hemi. Twice now I noticed a huge bellow of smoke come out the exhaust when I started it via the remote start on the key fob. Doesn't do it every time just the 2 times. NE1 else see this b4 or maybe tell me what is going on b4 I take it back to the dealer for its 1st recall (cruise) and the squeaky belt / pulley at start up (which is every time I start it for a couple mins.). I have less than 1700 miles on this thing and starting to wonder if my wife may have been right about buying it :cool:

Thanks in advance and hoping I didn't buy a real pile here...

/30N3C0||3CT0/2

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A few members have mentioned the same. I have seen it on mine once and never again. Nothing has ever came of it from anyone that experienced this to my knowledge.

OP
OP
B0N3C0ll3CT0R

B0N3C0ll3CT0R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
A few members have mentioned the same. I have seen it on mine once and never again. Nothing has ever came of it from anyone that experienced this to my knowledge.

Got to be something. Kind of embarrassing too when your leaving work w/a group of guys, ur vehicle starts and a cloud of smoke follows right behind. All you hear is WTF is wrong w/that already!

:confused:

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my 6.4 with 15k on it does it,on average about once every 30 starts or so. several folks with the 6.4 have commented on it, and I dont think it ever goes anywhere.. Like most things Ram, its considered normal.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Normal

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road package

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Bought my very first new vehicle and it turned out to be a 2018 RAM Power Wagon w/the 6.4 Hemi. Twice now I noticed a huge bellow of smoke come out the exhaust when I started it via the remote start on the key fob. Doesn't do it every time just the 2 times. NE1 else see this b4 or maybe tell me what is going on b4 I take it back to the dealer for its 1st recall (cruise) and the squeaky belt / pulley at start up (which is every time I start it for a couple mins.). I have less than 1700 miles on this thing and starting to wonder if my wife may have been right about buying it :cool:

Thanks in advance and hoping I didn't buy a real pile here...

/30N3C0||3CT0/2

You got a good truck! It’s normal for it to puff especially with the remote start. It comes from the muffler. I don’t have the remote start on my truck but it would puff smoke that is before... I called Nick @GotExhaust.com
Who’s a super cool guy and a preferred vendor here. I bought a Solo Exhaust Delete Kit from him. Installed it and what da ya know it stopped putting that puff of smoke out and needless to say it sounds awesome. It’s so awesome that I wanted to share it with everyone around that I put a 6”x12” chrome tip on it and WOW does it sound killer. I didn’t take the resonator off either. No real drone to speak of.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You got a good truck! It’s normal for it to puff especially with the remote start. It comes from the muffler. I don’t have the remote start on my truck but it would puff smoke that is before... I called Nick @GotExhaust.com
Who’s a super cool guy and a preferred vendor here. I bought a Solo Exhaust Delete Kit from him. Installed it and what da ya know it stopped putting that puff of smoke out and needless to say it sounds awesome. It’s so awesome that I wanted to share it with everyone around that I put a 6”x12” chrome tip on it and WOW does it sound killer. I didn’t take the resonator off either. No real drone to speak of.

Thank you for the compliment! You are awesome as well!! the Delete kit does sound sooooo good

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not 100% certain....but a friends Ram and one of my cars has had the puff of smoke when started. It seemed that they were both parked on a hill during rain....letting water accumulate in the exhaust pipes that caused it. Do you think that might be the reason for it?

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Back in the day, a little smoke at startup was valve stem seals. Oil left on the valve stems when the engine stops seeps into the combustion chamber. It usually happened after sitting over night or after work when the vehicle sits for awhile. When started, the oil is burned off immediately creating the puff of smoke.

RagnarNorsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’ve had it happen once during the summer first start of the day. It was more vapor than smoke and dissipated quickly but filled most of the garage.

Hasn’t happened again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk