Pulling a Small Trailer...Couple of Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
fivestar

fivestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Filled the truck up yesterday. Was down to just below 3/4 of a tank, although the Uconnect app said I had 62%. Took 10 gal to fill it up. The computer avg is 16.1 mpg but by hand it calculated out to 14.8. Took a picture of the dash showing total trip miles of 148.3, and of the fuel gauge. Also have the receipt. Have only driven the truck on one trip prior to this fill up...went to the IX motorcycle show in Cleveland last weekend. 90% of that trip was highway to and from Cleveland.

Im at a loss. I sure would've thought the truck would get better mpg than this.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in a similar boat with mileage, debating on pulling the battery and shorting to drain the pcm to force a relearn on driving to see if that helps me.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would't be using tow mode all the time with that amount of weight. Tow mode does not allow you to go into ECO mode.

Are you sure about this? I swear mine goes into ECO mode in tow mode. The only way I don't go into ECO is if I change the max trans gear...

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I pull a v nose 20ish foot travel trailer in summer, truck is 2013 quad cab 2 wd 6 speed with 5.7, think 3.55s, can't remember , have a few other vehicles also. On long flatter trips I can get 24mpg, but normally on long trips around 18, towing the trailer, loaded up is right at 4k pounds and I get around 12 average.

OP
OP
fivestar

fivestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Wow. Yeah, 12 mpg is better than I normally see with mine.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I'm usually in the 9-11 mpg range towing my 6k tt with my 17, 2500, 6.4, 3.73 combo.

I've been as high as 11 average on a flat highway run. So towing what 1500 lbs with your 1500, I'd think your mpg would be better than mine, towing with an HD and over triple the weight you are.

Hopefully they can find something for you. But in general your mileage will not be great towing with a gasser. Good luck

OP
OP
fivestar

fivestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks. Next time Im at the dealer Im going to have them look at everything. Again though, Im sure they wont find anything.

Oddly enough, Ive driven my truck a bit over the last week. Here's what happened....

At 50.1 miles, all city....I averaged 10.6 mpg according to my trip meter/computer. Horrible for some reason.

Truck was filled up, and then I ended up taking a couple of longer 2 lane/4 lane highway trips for 35.4 miles....averaged 17.6 mpg....even went so high as 18.3 at one point, but I didnt get a picture of that.

The highway mileage seems to be about spot on with what should be expected. But man...that city driving and towing my small little trailer/bike is what's killing me. Unfortunately these conditions are what I use my truck for about 85% of the time. Oh well I suppose.

KeithStone76

Reaction score
Ram Year
20??
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I would't be using tow mode all the time with that amount of weight. Tow mode does not allow you to go into ECO mode.
My pentastar does.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk