Pulling rear brake rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WVBiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Purchased a very used 2008 3/4 ton hemi, 6 speed standard. No parking brakes. Cables seem intact. Cannot turn the little star nuts through the adjusting holes. Tried to pull the rear rotors to look inside. Cannot beat them loose, tried a wheel puller. Used PB Blaster. Tried everything but putting a hot wrench to the rotors to get them off. Anyone have any ideas to pull these things without destroying them????

Brakes work well. Rotors look good. I think when I eventually get them off it will destroy the inner brake shoes, (if there inside there) but I really would like to have a parking brake. Kind of tired of putting it in first gear and having to re-start the engine.

Thanks folks.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Any wiggle on them at all? Can you use a length of all-thread, some washers and nuts through one of the caliper bracket holes to push them off?

That sucks that you have no P-brake engagement at all. If you did, I'd suggest driving it around with the P-brake on to burn off enough material to give clearance.

A suggestion that's worked for me is to use an air impact chisel with a blunt tip. Blast the rotor face between the studs all the way around. Sometimes that will break the rotors free.

Last solution is to sawzall the rotors off. A good quality sawzall blade will go thru them like butta.

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Silly question, but I assume you've removed the rotor retainer star washer thingy (that's a technical term in case you were wondering) if it happens to still be there on an 08?

There's probably a nasty rust lip inside the hat of the rotor where the parking brake shoes live. Did you try turning the adjuster wheel both directions to free it up?

It couldn't hurt to spray some penetrating oil around the studs so it works it's way between the rotor and hub. There could be rust build up there as well.

OP
OP
W

WVBiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used an air hammer between the studs with the wheel puller on. The adjusting nuts won't turn in either direction. This is an oil well tenders truck, I can only imagine the wheels have been under water several times in all kinds of weather. Salty roads too. Yes, the little factory installed rotor keepers were still on there so I doubt anyone has been inside the things. Starting to consider that 20 ton wheel puller from Harbor Freight, but I fear it will break the rotors which are still useable. Does anyone think the welding torch heat might allow the rust to let go?????

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you get it hot enough with the torch to free things up, you'll probably end up warping the rotors.

The rotors may not be reusable anyway if there's that much rust and corrosion inside the hat.

**Edit** I found this video, it may or may not actually work. Lol.

Last edited:

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What I’ve done in the past is loosen the wheel lug nuts just bit so they are not clamping the rotors to the axle and then roll the truck a bit in the driveway, motor running, and slam the brakes on. Back up a bit, on the roll, slam the brakes on. Continue this back and forth brake slams until you think you’ve had enough. It may be just enough to break the rotor free. You do not need to go but a couple mph. You will have brought the total weigh of the truck to bear on the rotors in a twisting motion which might loosen things up.

T

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WVBiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. New ideas are always helpful. Guess I will get back at it when the weather is more reasonable. Being as the little star nuts won't turn in either direction I already know the parking brake shoes will need replaced----maybe more. If the rotors themselves were in poor condition I wouldn't mind taking them off in pieces.
So much fun. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When you do get the rotors off, let us know how you did it.