Pulsar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's truly all person preference. But I would honestly say it depends on how far down the bolt on rabbit hole you'll go.

The pulsar doesn't and won't offer custom tuning so if you plan on doing a bunch of bolt ons a unlocked pcm and tuner would be a better option. But if you want to keep the stock pcm on all the time and don't want to swap it but just want a little bit extra somtin somtin I would say it's a very good option. I had someone I knew get one for his 2019 classic and he said it made a noticeable difference!

IMHO

I'd go custom tune. It's one of the biggest bang for the buck in horsepower. Especially for the 8spd. It's definitely more expensive to get a second pcm though (I did the swap). I've also seen people order a used pcm off ebay and just send that back to diablo sport to keep the stock one lolol wish I thought of that.

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh don't forget about factory warranty if you have it. The pulsar will keep factory warranty. Just remove it when you go to the dealership.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have one with the CTS2 and LOVE it. Its worth the money. The performance mode on it is insane. It will get loose on you if you want it too.

OP
OP
scott harmon

scott harmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys. I have been looking at them for quite some time, just haven't saddled up on one yet. Trenton, say it's a beast on performance mode?

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think as long as you know what you’re getting into realistically and understand what it offers as well as some of the areas it comes up short vs custom tuning then you can make a correct decision on one. Personally I’ve been looking at one for about a year. They have new open box ones ($350)on their ebay store as well as refurbished ones ($275) on their as well. I will get one soon just need tires and some other things first.

Majority of people who get it seem to like it. Especially when pair with Pedal commander to keep throttle sensitivity dialed when on performance mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im on my second pulsar. First on my 17 WhytRam till I got close to out of warranty then got a custom Green Tune.
My 19 classic now has 8200 miles and a pulsar was bought 12 days after purchase and put on at 350 miles. Bought open box from powerteqperformance for 275.
Paired both with a pedal commander and love them for what it is, ie: canned tunes. I have a ways to go yet to clear warranty to custom tune my new ride

Screenshot_20200522-165321_eBay.jpg

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im on my second pulsar. First on my 17 WhytRam till I got close to out of warranty then got a custom Green Tune.
My 19 classic now has 8200 miles and a pulsar was bought 12 days after purchase and put on at 350 miles. Bought open box from powerteqperformance for 275.
Paired both with a pedal commander and love them for what it is, ie: canned tunes. I have a ways to go yet to clear warranty to custom tune my new ride

View attachment 208628

What combo you running: Pulsar setting with what PC setting?

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What combo you running: Pulsar setting with what PC setting?

Pulsar mostly on 6( no mds) with pc on sport minus 3 or 4
When I feel the need I push the wheel button to 8 lickity split
I have played with the pc alot to find the sweet spot for me( non bluetooth that was on my 17) and now its mostly sport minus but in wet weather i go to city plus 3 or 4

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I also live in Cali so the source I found DOES ship to Cali.
It is a real pain to get around the rules to play here!!
Lots of add on mods wont ship here so either gotta have peeps willing to mediate or find the occasional one who will.
Funny thing is powerteq is a Holly company, Holly wont, they will.....
Wait, WHAT??

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have ramm5.7’s first pulsar and it works great in my truck to! I had a hemifever tune in my old truck and it doesn’t quite compare to that but for these trucks buying the unlocked pcm and tuner just seems too much of a hassle for me and with my warranty still being good for a few more years I wasn’t going that route. The pulsar does the trick tho, def can feel a difference!

MCMLXIX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI R/T
I picked up a CPO (Certified Pre Owned) 2017 RAM R/T with 20k miles so I have a long extended warranty to think about...

Has anyone actually put a stock truck on a dyno to compare with and without the PULSAR?

*edit - I see they claim 30hp gain

Last edited:
OP
OP
scott harmon

scott harmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I picked up a CPO (Certified Pre Owned) 2017 RAM R/T with 20k miles so I have a long extended warranty to think about...

Has anyone actually put a stock truck on a dyno to compare with and without the PULSAR?

Supposedly, they are around 390-395 stock on the 5.7. Now as far as the the gains on the pulsar, I cannot verify, mine is on its way. I’d be happy to let you know the before and after once it’s installed.

MCMLXIX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI R/T
Supposedly, they are around 390-395 stock on the 5.7. Now as far as the the gains on the pulsar, I cannot verify, mine is on its way. I’d be happy to let you know the before and after once it’s installed.

Are you going to run it on a dyno before and after?

I watched a video and they said they'll have a way to update a custom tune base on the specific mods to the truck... through the OBD2 port...

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

There’s a YouTube video of a dyno run with them adding a cold air intake, adding exhaust then another run, and then added the pulsar and a run afterwards.

Chris Hoffman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Are you going to run it on a dyno before and after?

I watched a video and they said they'll have a way to update a custom tune base on the specific mods to the truck... through the OBD2 port...
That's a possibility in the future, but nowhere close to happening