purchased a 2008 quad cab need some advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilnel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, I just purchased a 2008 quad cab *lonestar* what ever that means, could be a SLT. I only had a few minutes at the dealer ship with it I am awaiting the finance company to cut a check.
1) I need install my trailer brake controller. What I see is a 4pin connector on the back but I know anyone can add those by hooking into to the taillights. I checked by the ebrake and I couldn't find the controller plug, I may search more. Is it possible this trim level didn't have it pre-wired?

2) no fobs *rant why are these always missing!!!!* I have been reading up on programming new ones you have to have 2 keys now, it seems most howtos assume you have 2 fob keys. I have 2 non fob keys. I know the key part still has to be cut(for the doors) then it gets paired with the ignition.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure if 08 is the same as my old 05 but you have to buy a harness that plugs in under the dash. That plugs into your controller.

vwmaniaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if your truck doesn't have the towing package on it you probably don't have the blue plug for trailer brakes.

OP
OP
Wilnel

Wilnel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't like to bubba or jerry rig things, is it possible, or I should say fairly easy to remove a harness from one in the Jyard? My other option is just taking the wiring off my other truck, it was just installed in april, this completely aftermarket

Tigerwithn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Welcome, i too picked up a 2008 with a single key, broken keyfob, bought 2 off ebay for like $13, had them programmed at AAA lock and key for $40, 2nd for $36.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi, I just purchased a 2008 quad cab *lonestar* what ever that means, could be a SLT. I only had a few minutes at the dealer ship with it I am awaiting the finance company to cut a check.
1) I need install my trailer brake controller. What I see is a 4pin connector on the back but I know anyone can add those by hooking into to the taillights. I checked by the ebrake and I couldn't find the controller plug, I may search more. Is it possible this trim level didn't have it pre-wired?

2) no fobs *rant why are these always missing!!!!* I have been reading up on programming new ones you have to have 2 keys now, it seems most howtos assume you have 2 fob keys. I have 2 non fob keys. I know the key part still has to be cut(for the doors) then it gets paired with the ignition.

1) Lonestar is the TX appearance package, it's an SLT. If you have a 4 pin in the back, that's the factory piece when it doesn't come with the towing package with 7 pin. You should have a spot to plug in, but they may have not put it in with the later trucks.
2) You're stuck on that one lol...gonna have to pay if you want the fob keys. Sucks because those are chipped keys (integral and non removable) and the chips used in the fob keys are different and integrated with RKE.

OP
OP
Wilnel

Wilnel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi on the keys, is it possible to program the ignition fob keys with the regular keys so they can start the vehicle. I know they still have to be cut.

OP
OP
Wilnel

Wilnel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome, i too picked up a 2008 with a single key, broken keyfob, bought 2 off ebay for like $13, had them programmed at AAA lock and key for $40, 2nd for $36.
that's and Idea, Ill call local key shops.

OP
OP
Wilnel

Wilnel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

1. 9.jpg
  2. Finance company finally quit darling around and released the funds. Picked it up at lunch21ki9lf.jpg
  3. vhghi1.jpg
  4. 3480lk3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wilnel

Wilnel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As soon as I pulled into the dealer lot to claim my vehicle they had a beautiful 4th gen that just showed it, prairie pearl coat , chrome everything, not topper tho. But the sales man says yeah thats 3 grand more its 2013 with 190,000 miles on it :eek:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
hemi on the keys, is it possible to program the ignition fob keys with the regular keys so they can start the vehicle. I know they still have to be cut.

I don't believe so because the programming process with Starscan requires they be inserted into the ignition, as that's where the antenna is for the SKIM.

1. Finance company finally quit darling around and released the funds. Picked it up at lunchView media item 26043View media item 26042View media item 26041

Links don't work

OP
OP
Wilnel

Wilnel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
no blue pre installed brake controller connector. I went and wired it in from scratch. It works now. Ordered some fob keys. One rear door doesn't lock/unlock with button, probably bad actuator. The wife is really wanting a backup camera, So I will be purchasing one of those cheapy chinese android radios, hey I put one the 07 caravan 2 years ago no issues! At first I wasn't crazy about the blue looks dark as you see from previous photos but in sunlight is definitely beautifulv5bbys.jpg
jfg1p3.jpg

JunkyardDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Wilnel,

I am following this as I have a similar key issue. I recently bought a 2007 RAM 1500 with only one key available. I need to get additional keys. In my research, here is what I believe to be true. (If I am incorrect, PLEASE, correct me! I have NOT seen most of this on THIS forum. I could have missed it. Or, I guess it may be common knowledge to others.)

Transponder keys are the type of key with a chip in it and have a grey case on the key. Non-Transponder keys use a black case. I have not been able to find a statement that actually states HOW you can identify vehicle transponder usage without the keys and their associated color codes. Non-Transponder keys don't need to be programmed as they don't "communicate".

With Transponder type keys, I understand that you PERSONALLY can program additional keys, IF you have 2 working keys. (I saw the phrase "2 working Master Keys" referenced once. I have not been able to confirm that it means 2 Original Master keys, or what specifically.) I have also seen reference to a limit of 8 keys per vehicle. I added the process as I understand it has worked below.

Beyond that, help will be needed. Whether that is a dealer or a locksmith, that is still a question. But, be assured, it will be one of them (at least from my research).

There is a code that is needed to progress further. If you bought the vehicle new, they should have provided it. If you choose a dealer to help you, they should be able to obtain it to get you to the next step. Used vehicle buyers are at the mercy of sellers to pass the code to you. (My seller, apparently, had no mercy for me!) I have yet to complete my research to see if a locksmith will definitely have the same abilities as a dealer. Though, I suspect they should.

With the code, they can burn the new code in the replacement keys.

IF you decide to have a new code programmed in the vehicle brain and the new keys, the old working keys CANNOT be re-programmed. The old keys will not work and they must be replaced.

If it were me needing all new keys, or if there was a trust issue with the seller (like you suspect they kept a key), I would have a new code programmed. In my case, I only need 1 extra key to get by.

Process to re-programm a new key if 2 keys are available.
CUT the NEW remote head key for your vehicle.
INSERT the first working remote head key into the Ignition.
TURN the Ignition to the ON position for at least three (3) seconds but no longer than fifteen (15) seconds.
TURN the Ignition to the OFF position and remove the first remote head key.
INSERT the second working remote head key into the Ignition.
TURN the Ignition to the ON position for at least three (3) seconds but no longer than fifteen (15) seconds.
After ten (10) seconds a chime will sound and the vehicle’s security light will begin to flash.
TURN the Ignition to the LOCK position and REMOVE the second remote head key.
INSERT the NEW remote head key into the Ignition.
TURN the Ignition to the ON position within 60 seconds.
After ten (10) seconds a single chime will sound and the vehicle’s security light will stop flashing.
The vehicle’s security light will turn ON again for three (3) seconds and OFF to indicate successful programming.
Test all remotes. Programming is now complete. The remote and key are now both programmed.

I hope this will help somebody!

OP
OP
Wilnel

Wilnel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 2 keys with the grey case. I have purchased 2 remotehead keys, I will get them cut and try them out.

OP
OP
Wilnel

Wilnel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
finally got the keys made. I shouldve bit the bullet a long time ago, I called a locksmith. It wasn't so bad either he said he could drop by my house. He was there in 30 min , he said he wouldn't guarantee it would work, his machine might break them. I said I didn't care. charged me 3 bucks a key. I was even able to program the keys myself.