Purolator Boss limitations - 8,700 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Vehicle: 2016 2500 5.7 with 128,900 miles.

I recently noticed my oil pressure lower than usual. I was running the Purolator Boss in OEM size (PBL12222). The filter is full synthetic media and is rated for 15,000 miles and has a 24 gram particle capacity. My oil change interval is 5,000 miles and I was changing the filter every other time (running oil filter for 10,000 miles). This was working fine until this time around when I noticed at 8,700 miles on the filter:

Cold start: 50 PSI max vs 60
Hot idle: 39 vs 42+
Cruise: 47 vs 53

I changed the oil and filter and everything is back to normal. I think the bottom line is not to trust the oil filter manufacturing rating. I know there are a ton of variables but I thought this was an interesting observation. Burla, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

KLook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have noticed that I am running very low with a stock filter from O'Riellys. I changed the oil and it seemed normal, now I am idling at 31 psi and rolling along at 50 at 33 psi. I have already purchased the Mobil 1 filter I normally use, but would like an informed answer also as to how this can be. I never saw the post about if the pressure is measured before or after the filter.....Truck, 6.4, is running great and no abnormal noises or decreased fuel mileage.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Vehicle: 2016 2500 5.7 with 128,900 miles.

I recently noticed my oil pressure lower than usual. I was running the Purolator Boss in OEM size (PBL12222). The filter is full synthetic media and is rated for 15,000 miles and has a 24 gram particle capacity. My oil change interval is 5,000 miles and I was changing the filter every other time (running oil filter for 10,000 miles). This was working fine until this time around when I noticed at 8,700 miles on the filter:

Cold start: 50 PSI max vs 60
Hot idle: 39 vs 42+
Cruise: 47 vs 53

I changed the oil and filter and everything is back to normal. I think the bottom line is not to trust the oil filter manufacturing rating. I know there are a ton of variables but I thought this was an interesting observation. Burla, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Changes oil and leaves a dirty filter in place,just one question "Why". Filters are cheap,replacing engine not so cheap.Your call,but i'd seriously think about revising your mode of operation

OP
OP
R

Richard Kim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Changes oil and leaves a dirty filter in place,just one question "Why". Filters are cheap,replacing engine not so cheap.Your call,but i'd seriously think about revising your mode of operation
W.O.

Did it for the convenience more than anything. My thought process was that an extended mileage filter would be good for every other oil change. Results prove me wrong. Will be going back to filter change every 5,000 miles.

KLook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just to follow up, I changed the oil early, by the miles. The oil life gauge was indicating I was going to get about 10,000 miles on that oil and filter. I checked some pressures before changing. Cold idle, 34 psi. Hot idle, 31 psi. Hot, 70 mph, 39 psi. After changing the Microguard extended filter and putting in the same oil, new I mean, and a new Mobil 1 filter, the pressures went back to normal. Cold idle, 53 psi. Hot idle, 49 psi. Hot, 70 mph, 51 psi.
I find it interesting that the oil life gauge showed an increase in oil life with lower pressures. The oil pressure must be one of the parameters used to predict oil life. It increased by about 2500 miles based on previous observations. I change at 5000 regardless.