Push To Start Button is crap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KC5TGQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
My 2019 Laramie had to be towed in because the push button start switch broke. Left me stranded in the boondocks. I figured it was just a freak thing. Now our 2019 Bighorn is stranded 3 states away with same problem. The dealer told me that there is a cheap plastic ring that breaks. You would think Ram would make sure to make this a quality part being it is so important. Both Rams have failed and had to be towed because of this. The only other truck with a problem this year was a 2018 GMC that had a injector fail at 70k.. The RAMS had 33k and 35k on them.

13ram1500crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Strange, Ive had a 2013, 2017 and my 2019 which i have about 35k on and haven't had any issues with any of them, what does it look like when it breaks? Is the button stuck in or out?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
My 2019 Laramie had to be towed in because the push button start switch broke. Left me stranded in the boondocks. I figured it was just a freak thing. Now our 2019 Bighorn is stranded 3 states away with same problem.
you have some bad luck, there's millions of these push button start modules in use and you unfortunately got two bad ones.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is there a better option out there for a fix ?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Looks like I'll just keep my original switch in the truck in case this happens to mine. I swapped it out for a red TRX button for the extra HP it gives me. :laughing1:
Seriously though, I like the red button. Takes all of 3 minutes to swap them out.
TRX button cropped.jpg

Last edited:

R Brown III

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2019 Laramie had to be towed in because the push button start switch broke. Left me stranded in the boondocks. I figured it was just a freak thing. Now our 2019 Bighorn is stranded 3 states away with same problem. The dealer told me that there is a cheap plastic ring that breaks. You would think Ram would make sure to make this a quality part being it is so important. Both Rams have failed and had to be towed because of this. The only other truck with a problem this year was a 2018 GMC that had a injector fail at 70k.. The RAMS had 33k and 35k on them.
Thats crap! What did they charge you to fix that? Sounds like it might be a good idea to have an extra one on hand just in case it happens again. I hate to be stranded away from the house.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That sucks... I have thankfully never had a button go out on any of the 4 dodge/chrysler products we have owned with them. My wifes Pacifica is glitchy with her button.

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
Maybe should be part of the tune up! Seriously…. are you a smoker?

jpin9b

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO Cummins
Maybe the FOB remote start would have been useful here... I know not every truck has that feature and frankly, I would NEVER have gotten remote start but in order to get certain things that I DID want I had to get a bunch of other stuff I didn't necessarily want...

(Edit) Actually, I think you have to press the start button once you get in the truck even after the remote start so never mind.

Last edited:

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your the only one I've ever heard of with this issue, I've had five different mopars three of them 1500 Rams with zero issues. What are you guys doing starting them with your fist?

MSgtZ

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Have that push to start in my truck also, so at 103K no problems with it. Sorry you had two *** ones in a row and it sucks having to get towed. Hopefully your dealer takes proper care of you for the hassles. Also if you use the remote start you still have to press the button once you get into the truck to be able to drive it.