Put 37” tires on stock Power Wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think it's beyond intelligent debate that a modified purpose built machine will perform better at that specific purpose than a stock do it all vehicle. Might as well compare a C8 with a top fuel dragster then lament him slow the Corvette is and how poorly suited for road trips the dragster is.
I agree, and why I stated you have to keep it in perspective. A C8 Corvette is fast when compared to other production cars you can find on a normal dealer's lot, but if you include any and all vehicles like a top fuel dragster then a C8 is not fast. Same goes for a PW. They are close to top of the line capable compared to the average stock fullsize pickup truck, maybe top 25% when compared to all stock vehicles (i.e. a Wrangler Rubicon will outperform it off-road 9 out of 10 places), but it does pretty bad compared to a full out trail rig. My PW when stock other than 35" mud tires would walk circles around my previous 2500 truck with 33" mud tires and a rear limited slip, however a buddy's Jeep CJ on 35" tires (6 cylinder, stock axles w/ lockers) could walk circles around the PW. Most of that is due to the fact it weighs half as much.

Again, I like the PW (I own one and do some off-roading with it!) and it definitely has it's advantages over other vehicles. However just trying to be realistic and don't want to give people the impression they are unstoppable and can go anywhere. Really hate all of these automobile commercials that show these car amd minivan based AWD cross-overs tearing through the woods and blasting across rivers....that get's people in trouble and tears up those cars because they have no experience off-roading but based on those commercials they think these cars can go anywhere. Just go watch these off-road recovery channels on YouTube and they are filled with these AWD cross-overs stuck in places they shouldn't be.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I use my lockers and larger tires to help in tricky spots. I don’t use them to get me into trouble I’ve seen little cars and suv in places that they shouldn’t be too. For all the safety features on these cars they still don’t install common sense on the driver.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
one tons is a very loose term. we talking one tons from the 70s or 2023. big difference

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
one tons is a very loose term. we talking one tons from the 70s or 2023. big difference
Understand where you are coming from. Though the 70's and 80's era "1-tons" are typically a Dana 60 front and 10.5" full-floater rear axle. Those are pretty comparable to what you find nowadays in these trucks, though the difference is "back then" you found that combo only on true "1-ton" or the heaviest duty trucks. Nowadays they are on 2500, or "3/4 ton", trucks.
The old Dana 60 front has a 9.75" ring gear and 35 spline 1.5" axle shafts, so actually a slightly bigger ring gear and equivalent size shafts to the AAM 9.25" front axles.
The AAM 10.5" rear axle used for years is basically a copy of the old GM 14-bolt full floater, and equivalent specs to the Dana 70 which was found in Ford and Dodge trucks in that era. Granted that Ram has moved up to the AAM 11.5" rear axle, which is expected with the higher power levels, higher truck weight, and increased towing capacity.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the dana 60 fronts in the 70s and 80s were only 4500 and 5000 gawr. 5500 maybe through the 90s. smaller diam tubes. perhaps smaller bearings. smaller c knuckles. for a jeep or k5 that should be plenty
modern 3/4 and one ton fronts are 6k gawr.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
how can the ram 10.5 and gm 14 bolt be basically copies when one has third pinion bearing and one doesnt. one has removeable housing snout and one doesnt. unless im missing something.
theyre probly similar in load capacity rating maybe.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
how can the ram 10.5 and gm 14 bolt be basically copies when one has third pinion bearing and one doesnt. one has removeable housing snout and one doesnt. unless im missing something.
theyre probly similar in load capacity rating maybe.
The point I was attempting to make is that are basically equivalent in overall component size and functionality. Keep in mind that AAM is basically the same company that made the GM 14 bolt. They were originally the GM Axle division and just spun off into an independent company under the name AAM.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I don't know that this is relevant to anyone else in the thread, but the last few weeks have me thinking more about bed loading height. After a couple of bed loads of downed tree from a 28" diameter Maple and a bunch of bags of concrete for fence posts, a higher lift to get that stuff in/out would have made the job more difficult. I think I'm going to settle on 35" when it's tire time just for the more all around utility since I occasionally play off road, occasionally actually work with the truck, but normally just road trip with it.

That grandpa step that folds down with a foot tap is a forehead smackingly simple idea, but man is it smart.

TrailStorm

Reaction score
I'm baffled at how some people are saying a Power Wagon is not a highly capable off-road vehicle, and I don't even own one yet LOL. The four ingredients of a decent off-road vehicle: 4WD, ground clearance, all/mud terrain tires, and torque.

A Power Wagon has all of this PLUS a winch, front lockers, rear lockers, and a sway bar disconnect. Throw in some extra skid plates and sliders and you're golden. I've seen videos of Power Wagons doing Black Bear Pass, Fins and Things, Hell's Revenge, etc. with no problem. Sure the length is not ideal for Black Bear and you come really close to scraping on Fins and Things, but you're able to make it through. Could a Bronco, Jeep, or Toyota get through a little easier? Sure.

The approach and departures angle on Power Wagons are decent - the breakover angle is definitely not good. Neither is the turning radius but where there's a will there's a way.

P.S. The difference between 33", 35", and 37" tires is significant. e.g. In this video, the may have been able to get up the obstacle with larger tires. https://youtu.be/Yen7xecqvYg?t=174 (2:54)

OP
OP
Corvette427

Corvette427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Quick update. Again love the new 37” tires look and drive! Did notice about a 5 mph difference than what a GPS actual is (WAZE). Going to hold off on a leveling kit for now.

Attachments

• IMG_8310.jpeg
    IMG_8310.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 23

Cchurchi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In regards to off-road capability, I guess it's all relative to what you are comparing it to. As somebody who has ran highly modified off-road rigs (everything from quads, SxS's, and fullsize trucks) I will say a stock PW is just average, or maybe even marginal. I've ran a Chevy K5 Blazer off-road for years and it has progressed from 33" tires and limited slip front and rear diffs, to 35's, replacing the rear limited slip with a locker, replacing the front limited slip with a locker, going to 38" tires, and then 40" tires. I will say that the K5 on 35's and limited slip diffs would out perform my PW on 37's in 9 of 10 conditions. Most of that is because of the much heavier weight and the overhang/ground clearance of the PW. The only advantage in some situations the PW would have is it has more power and a longer wheelbase which helps in some situations. Compared to the K5 with 40" tires and lockers front and rear there is absolutely no comparison.
Now a stock PW compared to a stock regular 2500 is a decent difference in off-road ability......but still only so many places a 7k+ lb. fullsize truck on 33's can go. I do think that going from a 33" to 37" tires make a pretty big difference. 2" of ground clearance may not sound like much, but it makes a big difference.
I try not to compare my Power Wagon to Jeeps, side by sides, 4-wheelers, dirt bikes, mountaiin bikes, or submarines. I simply need a heavy duty truck to tow my trailer, haul my mountain bikes, my dirt bike, and to drive off pavement up steep, loose, crappy roads to various trail heads. I do compare my Power Wagon to other 3/4 ton trucks, and it is by far the best option for me.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I try not to compare my Power Wagon to Jeeps, side by sides, 4-wheelers, dirt bikes, mountaiin bikes, or submarines. I simply need a heavy duty truck to tow my trailer, haul my mountain bikes, my dirt bike, and to drive off pavement up steep, loose, crappy roads to various trail heads. I do compare my Power Wagon to other 3/4 ton trucks, and it is by far the best option for me.
Completely agree with your comment! That is why I stated it all depends on the person's perspective, or what they are comparing it to. While a Jeep Rubicon will outperform a PW off-road, that same Jeep definitely can't pull a big trailer or haul of bunch of stuff in the bed like a PW. All depends on the person's needs.