PWIM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/03/31/navajo-nation-enforces/

As of now a 8 PM to 5 AM curfew is being enforced immediately south of Moab. It includes the huge (27,413 square miles) Navajo Nation. It also applies to San Juan County, Utah (7,933 square miles). The county line is just a few miles south of the city of Moab on Highway 191. Can't miss crossing the county line if you're heading south to anywhere out of Moab. Not to be confused with San Juan County, Colorado of which the Sheriff has a 24/7 enforcement policy for non-locals.

"Thank you to our Navajo Police Officers who are holding roadblocks in our communities tonight as the Navajo Nation’s 8pm curfew goes into effect to help fight the spread of COVID-19! We are a strong people and we will overcome this! Ahe’hee’"

"Employees on essential business who are out at night are required to carry “official identification and/or a letter of designation from their essential business employer on official letterhead, which includes a contact for verification.”"

"James Adakai, president of the Oljato Chapter of the Navajo Nation, told The Salt Lake Tribune the Navajo Nation’s curfew applies in San Juan County as well, even if there is less overt police presence in rural areas due to personnel limitations."

EUaP1PoUUAIWSaQ?format=jpg&name=360x360.jpgEUaP1PtUwAAeD4A?format=jpg&name=360x360.jpgEUaP1PjU4AACuJY?format=jpg&name=360x360.jpgEUaP1PxUEAU_V0R?format=jpg&name=360x360.jpg

10:14 PM - Mar 30, 2020

Last edited:

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
Now, I do agree the virus exists and that it`s highly contagious, however, something smells REAL FISHY with all of this "GOVERNMENT CONTROL," the news won`t tell you train loads of tanks have arrived in So Cal, Natl Guard is being sent out in several areas all over the country, don`t be surprised if similar or worse curfews start popping up all over the country, don`t be surprised if the Gov starts controlling/limiting bank accounts!
For the record, I`m not a gov basher or prone to rumors, however, I have enough common sense to know when things look sketchy.
At this point I`m more worried about the gov than the virus....

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
If you're heading north from around Flagstaff to Moab it takes 4 and 1/2 hours (280 miles) to drive through the curfew area of the Navajo Nation and San Juan County, Utah without stopping. Got to make it through the area before 8 PM.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Now, I do agree the virus exists and that it`s highly contagious, however, something smells REAL FISHY with all of this "GOVERNMENT CONTROL," the news won`t tell you train loads of tanks have arrived in So Cal, Natl Guard is being sent out in several areas all over the country, don`t be surprised if similar or worse curfews start popping up all over the country, don`t be surprised if the Gov starts controlling/limiting bank accounts!
For the record, I`m not a gov basher or prone to rumors, however, I have enough common sense to know when things look sketchy.
At this point I`m more worried about the gov than the virus....

This event will be like 9/11. There is a distinct before 9/11 and after 9/11 in laws and generally how we think about things. 10 yrs from now we'll be talking about before COVID. You can beat money on that.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
This event will be like 9/11. There is a distinct before 9/11 and after 9/11 in laws and generally how we think about things. 10 yrs from now we'll be talking about before COVID. You can beat money on that.
Had this exact conversation today.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Grand County (Moab region) Utah has opened up camping to all residents of nearby Green River (population 934)! Limited to 10 people per campsite.

Document.jpeg

Moab update...Masks/coverings are required for swimming pools, except while essential swimming.

Reminder...Masks/coverings are for the face.
bikini-model.jpg

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Although Grand County (Moab) Utah has had not one (zero) confirmed case of a Covid-19, all primitive camping for the flatlanders, big city folks, and other outsiders is still illegal at this time except for residence of Moab and Green River, Utah.

Our surrounding counties are using the Coronavirus lockdown excuse to clean their house by keeping the normally snowbound highways to the High Country closed beyond the winter seasons. To ensure that it's kept clean here are some new restrictive ideas for primitive camping around Moab for when that area "may"open...

https://moabtimes.com/2019/05/03/blm-seeks-to-end-primitive-camping-at-klondike-bluffs/

https://moabtimes.com/2019/05/03/too-many-campers-too-few-spaces/

A new law for #2 waste will go in effect soon for primitive camping on BLM land around Moab in that it must be all hauled out, but I haven't re-found the link. No more burying it.

Last edited:

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Although Grand County (Moab) Utah has had not one (zero) confirmed case of a Covid-19, all primitive camping for the flatlanders, big city folks, and other outsiders is still illegal at this time except for residence of Moab and Green River, Utah.

Our surrounding counties are using the Coronavirus lockdown excuse to clean their house by keeping the normally snowbound highways to the High Country closed beyond the winter seasons. To ensure that it's kept clean here are some new restrictive ideas for primitive camping around Moab for when that area "may"open...

https://moabtimes.com/2019/05/03/blm-seeks-to-end-primitive-camping-at-klondike-bluffs/

https://moabtimes.com/2019/05/03/too-many-campers-too-few-spaces/

A new law for #2 waste will go in effect soon for primitive camping on BLM land around Moab in that it must be all hauled out, but I haven't re-found the link. No more burying it.

Yikes. That doesn't bode well for us. We don't camp down there. That's the full-timers haven though. Everyone on earth knows about those areas, and they are over run.

Our spot is south of town. But makes me nervous more will locate the other area with far less campers.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
https://www.kuer.org/post/arches-an...ning-weekend-moab-shifts-low-risk-coronavirus

"MOAB — As Arches and Canyonlands national parks prepare to reopen this weekend, Gov. Gary Herbert has rejected a request from Grand County officials to limit overnight lodging."

"Some are calling for stricter rules to prevent the spread of COVID-19 while others are ready to get back to business."

"In the working class there is a tremendous amount of want and will to open the town back up"

1pieceatatime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
That is extremely sad. Not anti-oil by any means - nobody driving a machine as inefficient as a Power Wagon could be - but damn, there’s so many other places to drill that aren’t such a rich off-roading hotspot.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
1peaceatatime, Don't be sad.

I should have read the bottom line of the story as to the source "The New Yorker" of this article prior to posting. Based on prior publications that I have read from them, their objective isn't to save Moab from oil and gas for off-roading. It's to eliminate them both all together, along with our non-electric gas guzzling Power Wagons. This will allow them to be able to fly over my region of the country at 30,000 feet without any dust or smog to spoil their view. My error to even have posted it.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Looks like we lost our host this year and we are on our own.
from the mass email they sent this morning:

“... We are just very saddened to announce that we will be unable to be there with you in September. We’ve been struggling with this change due to personal circumstances for a few days and what it means, but in the end we understand that Power Wagons in Moab isn’t the Mike and JorDanee show, by any means. We just facilitate and keep everyone moving with those 7:30 driver meetings. It’s people like you - fellow Power Wagon and Ram enthusiasts who make this event amazing! Without you, there wouldn’t be an annual pilgrimage to Moab! So nothing has really changed. You will get together in September. You will wheel together in September. And you will have an amazing time! ”

Last edited:

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well it still sounds like everything’s a go for the most part. I’m sure y’all will still have a blast.

I’m hoping to get back in Oct. for a little more serious wheeling this time around.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think what is probably happening is they are struggling to be able to put something together legally...so if they say they arnt gonna have it and everyone just happens to show up on a wim, well......

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think what is probably happening is they are struggling to be able to put something together legally...so if they say they arnt gonna have it and everyone just happens to show up on a wim, well......

Legally as in group event permit problems or something?

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
No, I spoke with Mike. They have some personal challenges and can’t attend, but are making sure that the event is still covered. They are assuring that the event will be carried on as normal.