PWIM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
No, I spoke with Mike. They have some personal challenges and can’t attend, but are making sure that the event is still covered. They are assuring that the event will be carried on as normal.
Probably means the vendors won’t come out?!

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
He did say he had a few venders drop out, but didn’t specify who (and I didn’t ask).
I had pulled out the weekend before the deadline (to get a full refund) since I had a big work deal that closed the same week. I will catch it 2021.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I had pulled out the weekend before the deadline (to get a full refund) since I had a big work deal that closed the same week. I will catch it 2021.
I’m confused then, your post said “we” twice. Are you not attending?

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I’m confused then, your post said “we” twice. Are you not attending?
Since I dropped out I thought there was no chance but now that their is no host, I could come if something changes at work that will allow it. I’m always hopeful... I built my rig with Moab in my foresight. I still lack the 37s and the radio that I want/need before I go.

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Since I dropped out I thought there was no chance but now that their is no host, I could come if something changes at work that will allow it. I’m always hopeful... I built my rig with Moab in my foresight. I still lack the 37s and the radio that I want/need before I go.
I have 4 hand helds, you can have one of mine if you want, save the few bucks. I have an integrated GMRS radio now, I won’t need the hand helds but I carry them with me anyway just in case.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I have 4 hand helds, you can have one of mine if you want, save the few bucks. I have an integrated GMRS radio now, I won’t need the hand helds but I carry them with me anyway just in case.
Deal!! Thanks

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Deal!! Thanks
No problem. I’ve got the midland hand helds that they recommend on the PWIM website. I’ll keep one for myself if Mike/JorDanée take up my offer to be a spotter, that way I have a radio if/when I exit my vehicle. But that leaves me with three I won’t be using, so you’re welcomed to use one of mine. Just gotta figure out the charger. Maybe switch them out every day and I’ll keep the others on a charger at night or something.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
My wife and I both try to stay clear of the 4x4 tourist hot spots of Moab, Creede, Lake City, Ouray, and Silverton. Other than quickly getting our essential groceries, fuel, and general merchandise supplies in these small towns, we live, camp, and 4x4 nearby our home in remote locations. We don't stay longer than necessary in the tourist towns. Living in rural Western Colorado and seeing even more than the usual out of state plates on our highways gives us some reasons to worry about visiting our local towns. There are too many tourists who have been bringing in both some much needed money and unfortunately their China virus. It's both good and bad. Moab can wait.

https://www.newsbreak.com/colorado/...her-out-of-staters-but-at-what-cost-to-health

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My wife and I both try to stay clear of the 4x4 tourist hot spots of Moab, Creede, Lake City, Ouray, and Silverton. Other than quickly getting our essential groceries, fuel, and general merchandise supplies in these small towns, we live, camp, and 4x4 nearby our home in remote locations. We don't stay longer than necessary in the tourist towns. Living in rural Western Colorado and seeing even more than the usual out of state plates on our highways gives us some reasons to worry about visiting our local towns. There are too many tourists who have been bringing in both some much needed money and unfortunately their China virus. It's both good and bad. Moab can wait.

https://www.newsbreak.com/colorado/...her-out-of-staters-but-at-what-cost-to-health

So what I’m getting from that article is that you like all the tourist money that these local economies pretty much depend on but not the tourists that come with it lol.

I completely understand that crowds of tourists can be a pain to locals but you can’t have it both ways.

So everyone should just stay where they live and not come to to “your” town or crowd “your” highways? Last I checked this is free country and and we can explore it as we wish.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I live in northern MI and while we dont have quite the amount of tourist stuff some places have, it does get super busy and crazy at times. Mainly summers. But yea, its a love hate relationship. Its great to see businesses busy and thriving, but man, all of the extra traffic and people can really drive ya buggy.

I just know its great for fall to come around and see everything slow down a bit again.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes Sir, that’s what they are built for, Haven’t taken My 12 PW out there yet but am planning to when all this Covid is said and done. Got a couple of my Buddies looking to go also and maybe my Brother with his 2500. I’m already sitting on 37’s got a fiberglass topper and setting up the bed as the go to all for sleep, supplies etc. I want to stop in there when I visit my Sister’s family when we go to Colorado. I plan on doing some Mountain trails there also, It’ll probably cost me 1k in gas but what the hell, you can’t take it with you.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Yes Sir, that’s what they are built for, Haven’t taken My 12 PW out there yet but am planning to when all this Covid is said and done. Got a couple of my Buddies looking to go also and maybe my Brother with his 2500. I’m already sitting on 37’s got a fiberglass topper and setting up the bed as the go to all for sleep, supplies etc. I want to stop in there when I visit my Sister’s family when we go to Colorado. I plan on doing some Mountain trails there also, It’ll probably cost me 1k in gas but what the hell, you can’t take it with you.

Within a 1/2 hour of my home in Colorado there are plenty of 4x4 trails below tree line. Over the years the side by sides have taken over leaving some of the trails far too narrow and of too low in tree branch clearance for our larger vehicles. Expect lots of screeching paint noises while bush whacking it through.

As of last Labor Day there's still a medium sized diameter (by Colorado standards) down tree crossing a popular trail just east of Parachute within a narrow steep section of which my Power Wagon would be way too tall to get under, but the Jeep Rubicon I rode up in cleared with only couple of inches to spare. Around Creede and Lake City the beetle killed trees far out number anything in sight. Bring a chain saw to get through any downed timber. Above treeline the Power Wagon rules the trail.

Gateway, Colorado to Moab is an optional trail. Tire chains (there is a large sign outside of Gateway) are essential equipment during wet and/or snow covered conditions.

Last edited:

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Within a 1/2 hour of my home in Colorado there are plenty of 4x4 trails below tree line. Over the years the side by sides have taken over leaving some of the trails far too narrow and of too low in tree branch clearance for our larger vehicles. Expect lots of screeching paint noises while bush whacking it through.

As of last Labor Day there's still a medium sized diameter (by Colorado standards) down tree crossing a popular trail just east of Parachute within a narrow steep section of which my Power Wagon would be way too tall to get under, but the Jeep Rubicon I rode up in cleared with only couple of inches to spare. Around Creede and Lake City the beetle killed trees far out number anything in sight. Bring a chain saw to get through any downed timber. Above treeline the Power Wagon rules the trail.

Gateway, Colorado to Moab is an optional trail. Tire chains (there is a large sign outside of Gateway) are essential equipment during wet and/or snow covered conditions.
Thanks for the info, I can imagine how much has changed over the years since I was stationed at Carson. I had a Honda XR500 I would take up to Pikes Peak It did okay right up to about the summit. Think I’d get close to about 12500-13000ft and then it was slow chugging the rest of the way. I loved running all the fire trails down around Manitou Springs and up by the NORAD complex. Didn’t get too close back then but then again I didn’t want to get shot. I do bring my pack out gear with me when I wheel with all the essentials, chainsaw, tree saw, chains, straps, highlift jack etc.... Thanks again and when I get ready maybe I’ll drop you a note.

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Mines all packed. Packed every tool I thought I’d ever need, plenty of beer, a folding chair for campfires, and snacks and Gatorade. I’ll figure out food when I get there lol

IS IT TIME YET?!

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Mines all packed. Packed every tool I thought I’d ever need, plenty of beer, a folding chair for campfires, and snacks and Gatorade. I’ll figure out food when I get there lol

IS IT TIME YET?!

Good news on transporting beer into Utah!

Utah is still an alcohol control state.

Prior to May 2020 transporting just one full twelve ounced beer across the state line into Utah was illegal and could get you busted for bootlegging. The Utah Highway Patrol would enforce this law during any possible minor traffic infraction through a requested vehicle search. It was a criminal offense to transport any alcohol into their state. It's been updated this year to a limit of 288 ounces (24 twelve ounced cans).

Old law...

https://www.utahtravelsecrets.com/bringing-alcohol-into-utah.html

New law...

The maximum amount the person transports or possesses under this Subsection (5) is:
(i) two liters of:
(A) spirituous liquor;
(B) wine; or
(C) a combination of spirituous liquor and wine; and
(ii)
(A) one case of heavy beer that does not exceed 288 ounces; or
(B) one case of a flavored malt beverage that does not exceed 288 ounces.

https://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title32B/Chapter4/32B-4-S414.html

Last edited: