Pwm controller/v6 electric fan install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m going to try. I had it since August so 3 months. I’m going to contact the person I purchased the controller from to see if it is capable or if they have one capable

Hemi 808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
3 months of use is way too soon to fail. Keep us posted on your brushless fan project.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3 months of use is way too soon to fail. Keep us posted on your brushless fan project.
I’ve been doing research and it appears the fan runs off a canbus signal not true pwm. I’m not finding much info on the ram trucks but it appears the jeeps have got it working but still tied into the tipm for controlling it. The few people who have tried tuning it in or swapping parts have been unable to get the parts to work. Since I’m currently trying to move my budget is cut on parts so back to stock for now

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow. I forgot about this post. So to start things off. The fan had not failed. Nor did the controller. Actually had a failure with the tipm and didn’t know it then. Had been fighting that issue on and off for a few months. I think I have a thread somewhere about that. Still running the same fan as of right now. Had pulled the controller out for warranty work and reinstalled the stock fan motor for the time being. Just reinstalled the controller and fan yesterday. Everything is operational and running great. I missed this fan controller. The stock setup is ok but I hate relying on a relay and running the fan full speed cycling on and off. This controller helps regulate temps better because the fan is usually on low speed unless needed higher which helps prevent Coolant temp fluctuations and this control is all solid state so no relays to burn out. When I reinstalled this controller I ordered micro2 add a fuse taps and tied into the tipm. There is 1 fuse in the entire tipm that turns on and off full power with the engine on which is what’s needed to engage the controller. If anyone is interested I can go back into the fuses and see which slot it was that I used. Still waiting for rpm extreme to get back to me about the pentastar fan controller but with COVID I know things are more difficult.

D2DA01B9-9826-4ADB-AB11-142321684B90.jpeg

596E9C81-D106-4D21-A324-4D4C50AFBCBF.jpeg

A4D7894F-89D9-4C21-8E32-5310121DE567.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Something I noticed as a bonus. Prior to reinstalling the fan controller my IAT has been 10+ degrees above ambient. Hitting 30° above at some points. Outside temp was registering 102° on my truck and IAT was reading 112° and would go all the way up to 130° while stopped and would take forever to come down. Took the truck out last night and checked my IAT and it was roughly 2-5 degrees above ambient at any given time. While idling I hit 96-97° IAT and ambient temp was 92°. While driving I was reading 93-94° IAT. Looks like the fan controller keeping the fan on low is helping to keep my engine bay temps down and keep everything from heat soaking as bad. 6.4 intake manifold and stock 6.4 air box. With my s&b I almost always sat 5-7° above ambient temps no matter what.

3D9CA7BF-E020-4B16-B8AE-B810782AC713.jpeg

450F16B8-80FC-45E0-9C0E-B2C2E10FF6A6.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never posted a picture of my temps sensor location. I changed it from an inline sensor to a bimetal sensor. Auto cool offers both styles depending on your needs and can make a custom inline tube so if you need/want to replace the factory plastic diverter and install the inline sensor they can do that for you. Just send them an email.

DBC80E4A-B733-4177-9F48-5AD6172F1CDB.jpeg

Ryno1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I just came across this post while doing my own research. My company deals with SPAL fans and we have our own CAN BUS to PWM controller, as well as the SPAL temp sensor with built in electronics. We use this particularly in Ag machines, but I’m looking to adapt to my truck as the V6 conversion is too loud. If anyone is interested how it goes, let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just came across this post while doing my own research. My company deals with SPAL fans and we have our own CAN BUS to PWM controller, as well as the SPAL temp sensor with built in electronics. We use this particularly in Ag machines, but I’m looking to adapt to my truck as the V6 conversion is too loud. If anyone is interested how it goes, let me know.

Are you talking about a controller for the newer style 2014 and up fans? If so there were quite a few people interested a while back. I was working with someone on producing a ram specific module but have since stopped as it became to time consuming for me so I stuck with this simple pwm style speed controller instead of a canbus style module.

Ryno1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Are you talking about a controller for the newer style 2014 and up fans? If so there were quite a few people interested a while back. I was working with someone on producing a ram specific module but have since stopped as it became to time consuming for me so I stuck with this simple pwm style speed controller instead of a canbus style module.

That’s exactly what I’m talking about, as I haven’t been able to find anything specific for the Ram. I have access to the components, I just need to do some programming changes.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s exactly what I’m talking about, as I haven’t been able to find anything specific for the Ram. I have access to the components, I just need to do some programming changes.

Something that would communicate with the truck canbus or full standalone? Full standalone would be awesome as long as temp settings are adjustable. I have a 2014 model v6 pwm brushless fan in my storage I would love to use. If your controller would work like my current setup that would be awesome. My current fan is a 2012 model with a pwm based speed control for brushed style fans.

Last edited:

Ryno1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Something that would communicate with the truck canbus or full standalone? Full standalone would be awesome as long as temp settings are adjustable. I have a 2014 model v6 pwm brushless fan in my storage I would love to use. If your controller would work like my current setup would be awesome.

This would communicate with truck’s canbus and then be able to adjust temps as well with software. I would be able to offer a stand alone sensor that has a fixed temperature sensor as well.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you on Facebook? If so you should look up “high performance rams” and post there. That’s where you will find a more people that may be interested. If you can get one together and working I would be interested as well. The one I was trying for used the truck canbus to cycle on and off for ac on as well as speed adjustment based on engine demand
This would communicate with truck’s canbus and then be able to adjust temps as well with software. I would be able to offer a stand alone sensor that has a fixed temperature sensor as well.

Ryno1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Are you on Facebook? If so you should look up “high performance rams” and post there. That’s where you will find a more people that may be interested. If you can get one together and working I would be interested as well. The one I was trying for used the truck canbus to cycle on and off for ac on as well as speed adjustment based on engine demand

I’m not on Facebook, but if this goes somewhere, I guess I’ll have to.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

I echo Kris,you might find more interest on the Ram performance pages,another page to post on besides High Performance Rams is Tuned Rams on facebook.

(18) High Performance Rams | Facebook

(18) TunedRAMS | Facebook

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New location coming soon for my fan controller. Not necessarily the best at ease of access but definitely the driest location I can find that this fits. Been running on the stock computer to run the fan recently due to floridas wet weather and the addition of my snorkel has pushed me to remove the controller until I found a better spot. This is the best I could come up with. Now to order automotive wire to rerun all my controls and the feed for the fan. I need to find a wrecked truck and get the truck side fan wiring harness to wire into my truck for a super easy install

Attachments

• A7213EC6-9E37-4936-AC12-ED76B3F32588.jpeg
    A7213EC6-9E37-4936-AC12-ED76B3F32588.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 13

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
New location coming soon for my fan controller. Not necessarily the best at ease of access but definitely the driest location I can find that this fits. Been running on the stock computer to run the fan recently due to floridas wet weather and the addition of my snorkel has pushed me to remove the controller until I found a better spot. This is the best I could come up with. Now to order automotive wire to rerun all my controls and the feed for the fan. I need to find a wrecked truck and get the truck side fan wiring harness to wire into my truck for a super easy install
What about mounting it under the pass seat Khris,looks like it should fit,and it'd be a little more accessable.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What about mounting it under the pass seat Khris,looks like it should fit,and it'd be a little more accessable.
Thought about under the driver seat even but figured if I’m off-roading and get water in the cab that’s the first place to get wet so higher is better.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes if you plan on sinking it that deep,under the seat wouldn't be a good place. Some days i worry about you Khris,lol:Big Laugh:
Another thing I’m contemplating is how I’m going to tap for the ac to turn the fan on. The old way I had it anytime the compressor ran the fan would kick to full speed. If the ac is on max it would run the entire time the truck is on especially now in the heat of summer. I’ve noticed since I’m back running on the stock computer that the fan hardly runs unless I’m stopped. May tap the feed from the tipm that feeds the fan to tell my controller the ac is running instead. All speculation. I’ll check to see if there’s a fuse I can use a fuse tap for the ac

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Done. Plug and play. I can switch back to the stock harness now without modifying anything. Can also swap fans and it’s a direct swap. Used the factory fan relay as a failsafe feed to my controller to bypass the controller if the coolant temp goes above my programmed temp. It sets the controller into full speed and also kicks on for the ac.

Attachments

• 1A36DA63-CED7-4B88-B31B-1F5334BCDD0C.jpeg
    1A36DA63-CED7-4B88-B31B-1F5334BCDD0C.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 3BC0C6AD-9235-45B6-BC6F-E6E4A553EADF.jpeg
    3BC0C6AD-9235-45B6-BC6F-E6E4A553EADF.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 19