Pyrometer ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Bare with me remember this is my first diesel.
Quite a few people are saying the single most necessary mod I must make is a pyrometer, and if I understand correctly it measures EGT, and you use it to ensure your not going to melt your turbo and etc while working the motor and also to ensure your EGT are below 400 deg before shutting down.
So unless I missed something in my EVIC I do not have a means to measure my EGT, there is the temp gauge, and a tranny temp gauge, and a boost psi gauge. So is this a necessity on a 2013? and if so why don't the factories make it standard issue?

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you are modifying the engine in any way then yes you will want to add one. You would have to drill and tap the exhaust manifold to install a Pyrometer.
From the factory your truck should stay within the safe range of EGT, but once you start adding more fuel and changing the tuning thats when things can heat up quickly.

OP
OP
Rotzilla

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I am planning a CAI in the near future, and maybe a tuner someday down the road, but that will probably be it.
The whole cool down thing is where my paranoia comes into play, I haven't got into the habit of waiting before turning off the ignition, and when I do remember I feel like a retard sitting there wondering if it has cooled down enough. The learning curve.

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Set of gauges for a stock truck is always a good idea. Not only does it help you monitor your engine, but it helps you diagnose problems when you have them. That's why I'm running boost, pyro, tranny, fuel pressure, and rail pressure gauges.

You'll need to drill and tap your exhaust manifold for the sensor. Sounds scary but it's really simple. Just take your time and use sharp bits. I use a magnet from the back of a speaker, put it around where I'm drilling and it catches the metal shavings.

And as far as cool down period...1-2 min is enough to cool it down, longer if you were hard on it or on a long drive (interstate)