QOTD: Did anyone originally consider a Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

Rogues Gambit

Just curious, since they're basically in the same league as us (Offroading beasts)

If they could tow more and cost less, it'd be a problem, but fortunately they don't and feel that compared to the Rebel, they're getting a little too played out, plus I like having a NA V8 that has the option of being supercharged down the line anyway.

Wbu thought, did you consider it and if so, what brought you to the Rebel instead?

IMG_20190127_150905.jpg

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I initially considered a Raptor. But then when the LSD wore off, I bought a Rebel instead.

Actually, the Raptor and Rebel are not even close to being in the same class. The Raptor is a high performance off-road racing inspired truck. Much faster and more off-road capable than the Reel. The Rebel is just a Bighorn with an ugly grille, Sport hood, Air Suspension, some bigger tires and a stupid silver integral brush plate, and a custom interior. All of these things attracted me to the Rebel, over a regular 1500 model (except for the silver brush plate), which you can see on my Avatar, I had sprayed with black Rhino Liner, when I had the bed done.

Don't get me wrong, the Rebel turns head because they look different, but it's still just a 1500 with some cosmetic goodies, not a serious off-road truck, like the Raptor.

Now the Rebel TRX with the Hellcat motor.....that's a friggin' Raptor killer.

edgarrian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didnt consider the raptor as its priced too high for my liking. Although nice looking trucks I would never use it for its intended purpose. If dodge releases the TRX then you will have a comparison. To me the raptor is a better truck even though there are a lot of reviewers saying otherwise. IF money was not object then Id have the raptor over the rebel. But if you have the TRX then Id certainly take that over the raptor.

What attracted me to the rebel was the 12 inch screen. I just locked in my purchase last night over the phone. Picking it up in a week. Im not a huge fan of the silver brush plate so ill either get an aftermarket bumper installed or rhino line it.

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nope, never even thought of looking at a Raptor. I am not a serious off road driver and the Raptor is way to expensive. The different look of the Rebel in reference to the other 1500 Rams made me consider it. I could see what it would be after MODS, even before I signed the paperwork to buy it. :D

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why not a Raptor:

1. Price....no need to explain there

2. Would never off road with a truck that expensive. IMO if your off roading a A Jeep is for playing on the rocks and a Toyota is for the trails. A desert would be nice for a Raptor but I live in NY.

3. V6???? That really lost me. Idc how much HP it puts out. I’m a V8 guy when it comes to a pick up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
R

Rogues Gambit

Good points, plus what the hell's up with the V6 anyway and once the TRX comes out, game over.

@Puba08 agree with point 2 about the tristate, though I do know friends who go on trails in the area and I bet that stock, I should be fine

@Scottly damn, had no idea about that, should of paid attention to that

@Hawkman can't wait to mod it :D AFE and Borla to start. How are the Moe's TB btw, thinking about getting one

@K-Dawg exactly, and definitely gonna get the bottom painted now that ya pointed that out, didn't even notice it until now

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Moe’s TB along with a good CAI is awesome on the Hemi. My truck seems to pull stronger since I installed myine with the K&N CAI. Plus when you hit the go fast pedal you can suck the feathers off of birds from 20 ft away. :evillol:

Last edited:

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Nope Ram only!! No one in their right mind would buy a rapjunk ****

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 2500 4x4 C/C Off Road.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Why not a Raptor:

3. V6???? That really lost me. Idc how much HP it puts out. I’m a V8 guy when it comes to a pick up

It puts out 450HP and 510lb/ft of torque. Considerably more then the current V8 Hemi at 395HP and 410 torque.

I'm an old V8 guy myself but you can't deny the fact that the current technology is pushing smaller engines to impressive numbers.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
you can't deny the fact that the current technology is pushing smaller engines to their limits.

Fixed it for you. Automobile engines have always lasted a long time because they produce 20% of their power 80% of the time. Small turbo gasoline engines used in applications where non-turbo larger gasoline engines used to be utilized, change that equation. Anyone that thinks those Fords will all run out to 200K without major issues is kidding themselves.

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Raptor V-6 makes 450 HP, compared to 395 in the Rebel's Hemi.

Correct the V6 puts out more than the Ram. But if we are talking about 4wheeling, a Raptor or Ram is way to big to get into some tight spots where I have wheeled. But IMO a V6 in a 1/2 Ton pickup is like a Vette with an automatic or a Mustang w/ a V6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I used to get hung up on that V6/V8 thing until the 87 Buick GNX with it's Turbo V-6 became the fastest American made production car for that year. Certainly the nearly 20' long Rebels and Raptors are tight squeezes on narrow trails (hail to the Wrangler), but if I had to power through some mud or pull a steep hill, I'd take that 450HP in the Raptor, all day. Too bad it's in an ugly-@$$ wrapping with that Oval logo on it.

OP
OP
R

Rogues Gambit

The Moe’s TB along with a good CAI is awesome on the Hemi. My truck seems to pull stronger since I installed myine with the K&N CAI. Plus when you hit the go fast pedal you can suck the feathers off of birds from 20 ft away. :evillol:

Sold! Now to wait for my big payday...

OP
OP
R

Rogues Gambit

I used to get hung up on that V6/V8 thing until the 87 Buick GNX with it's Turbo V-6 became the fastest American made production car for that year. Certainly the nearly 20' long Rebels and Raptors are tight squeezes on narrow trails (hail to the Wrangler), but if I had to power through some mud or pull a steep hill, I'd take that 450HP in the Raptor, all day. Too bad it's in an ugly-@$$ wrapping with that Oval logo on it.

Not really bashing the V6 over its power, definitely has it, just a Truck like that should of had a V8 with an optional supercharged version.

If I want that power, plenty of blowers out there

bigdave2212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I bought my Rebel because I stand up to pee........ Just saying. Ford might boast the top selling truck, but I think those numbers are not 100% accurate due to the fleet sales

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk