QQ - 2004 1500 SLT quad lab long bed hemi :: rear sway bar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DarthHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
QQ is: Why does my truck not have a rear sway bar?

I replaced the front sway bar links and bushings. Truck is now steering like a dream. I was so impressed I was noticed I can purchase rear sway bar links and bushings. I check under the truck and I have no rear sway bar.

Was this part not standard? Is my trim not supposed to have one? I see I can buy a new one online, but is there a reason why mine doesnt have one?

Im thinking about going to the junkyard and finding one with brackets and buying new bushings and links. Is there something I am missing?

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2005 same truck, no sway bar. I just bought the truck and Im grabbing the Hellwig 7651 for the back end. Straight bolt on. First thing I noticed when I was looking over the truck, no rear sway bay. I took off the front sway bar and painted it and through on new bushings and end links with upper and lower control arms. Torsion bars were easy to remove and reinstall surprisingly.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
SRT reg cabs came with one but not the quads. I think the HD trucks did but don't quote me on that. Dodge just decided pedestrian 1500's didn't need one I guess.

OP
OP
D

DarthHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is there a reason not to put one on if I can find one pick one up?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not at all, I put a Hellwig in mine; keep in mind it may make the rear ride a little rougher:

Rear sway bar install.jpg

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Been wondering about this myself. Nothing on my HD 2500. And nothing in the service manual about it. Very noticeable in corners though. Guess they expect the rear end to be loaded down by a trailer and taking corners easy.

Hellwig you say?

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So the Hellwig for my truck looks like a monster. @HemiLonestar , what is the ride like in your srt-10 over ripples/bumps in the pavement?
I'm concerned that the Hellwig would make my rear end so stiff it would just cause it to skitter over bumps when not loaded, which will be 99.9% of the time.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So the Hellwig for my truck looks like a monster. @HemiLonestar , what is the ride like in your srt-10 over ripples/bumps in the pavement?
I'm concerned that the Hellwig would make my rear end so stiff it would just cause it to skitter over bumps when not loaded, which will be 99.9% of the time.
I don't have an SRT-10, my 1500 just has SRT-10 parts in it lol. Smaller stuff is fine, but larger bumps, potholes, etc the rear will get a little lively when empty. The reason I tolerate this is because after I set up the truck suspension the way I wanted it (it's 2wd, so it doesn't go offroad, just towing and hauling; front SRT reg cab coil springs with a larger front sway bar, rear sway bar on the stock leaf springs with SRT Bilsteins all around) it handled better than my 2006 Charger R/T did when it was stock lol.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hmmmmmmm... I wonder how replacing the end links with something like hood struts would make it handle? Some kind of gas charged strut with limited travel, maybe some kind of collar on the shaft you can adjust. Thinking progressive rate sway bar. Just daydreaming.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wouldn't be stiff or strong enough to counteract the weight of the vehicle.

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put the Hellwig on mine. Love the way it grips when charging on to the Interstate on ramp.Its definitely thicker than the stock sway bars.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DarthHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Awesome responses all, thank you all.

I’m 99% with no hauling/trailering. So for me it sounds like better to leave off.

I have one of the few 1500 AWD/4WD :)