Quality Backup Tailgate Light Bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EViS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any recommendations for a rear tailgate light bar that is of high quality and will last? OPT7 and Putco seem to get the most recommendations, but there are also lots of reviews that state they only last a year or two before LED's start failing. I'm primarily in need of a better reverse backup light.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I used one of these on my 2500. Going on 2 years now with no complaints. I can see when backing like it is daytime. https://www.vleds.com/lp-reverse-72-w-5500k.html
I’ve got 2 sets of these and for the foot print they are very bright and work very well. I use these as standalone reserve lights when I’m doing reverse light Deletes. I also have the XPS version from morimoto and it’s also very nice. I also have had the opt 7 triple tailgate bar it was nice but always felt like an “add on” that never felt factory.

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have Luminex LED bulbs from Dieselleds.com and they've been great. I had the 3rd brake light bulb fail and they warrantied it at no cost to me. (Didn't even have to pay shipping) I was going to put pod lights on the hitch like I've seen other member do, but these are plenty bright. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of them lit up at night.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the Putco Blade for over 3 years and no issues what so ever. The UBL mentioned in post #2 looks interesting as well.

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tail lights only, then reverse lights. Garage approach lights were on so that's the ambient lighting in the "before" shot.
20221007_202044.jpg20221007_202056.jpg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Anecdotal evidence only: I have had the OPT7 for over 3 years and it has been just great...not one LED has gone out and the reverse light is just as bright as it was new.
I have had my OPT7 Redline Triple LED for 2 years now and no issues ... @the_goodguy07 had his for around a year and one of the leds burnt out, OPT7 sent him a new one and he kept the old one which still works but just one little LED is out lol ...

I would highly recommend the OPT7 Redline Triple LED, the light out put is B@D@$$ and easy to install ...

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Opt 7 Triple LED here. Absolutely lights up the night. Installed in 2018 or 19. Still bright as ever, no burnt LED’s. However my buddy installed the same on his ‘19 Classic and had a few led’s burn out. Opt7 sent him a replacement within a few days.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Opt 7 Triple LED here. Absolutely lights up the night. Installed in 2018 or 19. Still bright as ever, no burnt LED’s. However my buddy installed the same on his ‘19 Classic and had a few led’s burn out. Opt7 sent him a replacement within a few days.
Opt 7 has really good customer service man .. I have to give it to them ....

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I have this one mounted on my trailer but it would work just as well on the pickup. Easy plug-n-play. From that site named after the Big South American River:

49" LED Tailgate Light Bar for Trucks [Rigid Aluminium Frame] [Amber Sequential Turn Signal] [Tail & Reverse Light] [IP66 Waterproof] Rear Truck Tail Under Tailgate Brake Light Bar for Cars Trailer​

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Maybe a dumb question but how do you drop the spare tire when using a tailgate light bar? All the ones I see including the opt7 cover the hole to the winch.
You can still do it.. mine has just enough room to stick the bar through ...."but" I did use the self tapping screws and brackets it comes with instead of the 3m tape behind the bar ....

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi

az chip

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just heard yesterday, that Putco is coming out with a "Freedom Blade" model with multiply flash patterns. It is also vehicle specific and plug & play. Just FYI.

Putco Freedom Blade LED Tailgate Light Bar From

https://www.putco.com › product › freedom-blade

View attachment 507125
Unlike other rear light bars, the Freedom Blade is fully encapsulated in tinted polycarbonate resin that keeps moisture, dirt, and dust out ensuring a long life ..
Sure. Just checked the link. $506 is a little steep for me. Just bought a OPT7 for $126. Looks cool though.