Question about 1500 Ecodiesel Max Towing / Rear Gear Ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motivology

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I am looking to purchase a 2021/2022 1500 Limited 4x4 with EcoDiesel truck. It seems the max towing cap is right around 9480 lbs with 3.92 gears according to RAM's website (see below).

If I were to upgrade my gears to 4.10, or even 4.56 gears from Stage 3 Motorsports - how much would that bump up my max towing cap? I realize there are other factors involved in terms of bumping up the max towing cap but it seems the gears play a big role in that.

Every now & then, I tow my car hauler to haul one of my cars/trucks or to move furniture & materials. I posted a picture of my trailer & Saleen as an example.

I understand that 9480 lbs may be plenty for what I need, I'd like to bump it up more so I don't have to worry about being close to maxing out.

I know it's easy to say why not upgrade to 2500 or 3500 but like I said, I do not haul often so I felt that is an overkill.

Any help/advise is appreciated.

1658363831662.png Car Hauler.png

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Even if you change gears your still legally only allowed to tow the 9480 that's listed on door sticker...

OP
OP
Motivology

Motivology

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Even if you change gears your still legally only allowed to tow the 9480 that's listed on door sticker...

That's a first, I never heard of that. Do people really get stopped for this? I doubt my tows would go over 9480 but I am looking for the extra cushion - hence the gear upgrade question.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The lower gears will help you to get moving easier and faster but do not change the fact that your rear axel, springs & suspension system are only rated to what's listed they may take a bit more weight but I would not chance it...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
That's a first, I never heard of that. Do people really get stopped for this? I doubt my tows would go over 9480 but I am looking for the extra cushion - hence the gear upgrade question.

"Usually"? You mean every trip everywhere? No.

Enforcement varies by state. Some of the states up here have gotten very lax and don't check consumer vehicles anymore - they're overwhelmed with trying to keep commercial rigs legal.

Back in the day, Wisconsin had troopers running around with portable weigh scales nabbing loaded trucks quite often.

So, enforcement varies by state and era.

OP
OP
Motivology

Motivology

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
"Usually"? You mean every trip everywhere? No.

Enforcement varies by state. Some of the states up here have gotten very lax and don't check consumer vehicles anymore - they're overwhelmed with trying to keep commercial rigs legal.

Back in the day, Wisconsin had troopers running around with portable weigh scales nabbing loaded trucks quite often.

So, enforcement varies by state and era.

Maybe it's the southwest states that rarely check them (I'm in AZ). I just never heard of that.

I mean, I can see why a driver could get pulled over if one is pulling a load that is obviously way overkill for the truck to handle.0

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
You sure as heck don't want to be over weight and have an accident as your combined weight is one thing they will look at to see if it somehow played a roll...

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I am looking to purchase a 2021/2022 1500 Limited 4x4 with EcoDiesel truck. It seems the max towing cap is right around 9480 lbs with 3.92 gears according to RAM's website
There won't be any issues dragging almost 10K behind an EcoDiesel with 3.92, you'll be out of truck before your out of engine. If your regularly need to tow around 10K, go with an HD truck.
No need to run a lower gear ratio as unlike the Hemi which the torque peak is 410 ft/lbs at 4K rpms the EcoDiesel is 480 ft/lbs at 1600 rpms, when it comes to towing torque is your friend not horsepower.
Even with 8K behind my EcoDiesel it's almost as quiet like a church mouse, unlike the gasser screaming trying to pull the same grade with a much lighter trailer. Listened to that truck drop 3 gears while mine dropped one gear near the crest of the hill and the cruise held 65 mph the whole way up and over.

OP
OP
Motivology

Motivology

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
You sure as heck don't want to be over weight and have an accident as your combined weight is one thing they will look at to see if it somehow played a roll...

That is a valid point. I definitely don't want to be pushing close to max, hence why I thought if lower gear ratio would help.

There won't be any issues dragging almost 10K behind an EcoDiesel with 3.92, you'll be out of truck before your out of engine. If your regularly need to tow around 10K, go with an HD truck.
No need to run a lower gear ratio as unlike the Hemi which the torque peak is 410 ft/lbs at 4K rpms the EcoDiesel is 480 ft/lbs at 1600 rpms, when it comes to towing torque is your friend not horsepower.
Even with 8K behind my EcoDiesel it's almost as quiet like a church mouse, unlike the gasser screaming trying to pull the same grade with a much lighter trailer. Listened to that truck drop 3 gears while mine dropped one gear near the crest of the hill and the cruise held 65 mph the whole way up and over.

That is what I was thinking. I am not towing very often - every now and then. And yes, I am aware that torque is my friend over horsepower for towing - hence why I'm looking at diesels. Eventually I do want to upgrade to 2500 but I am waiting on the new Gen 5 2500/3500's hopefully that comes out in 2024.

Frankly, it's hard for me to go back to gas after owning a few diesels.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I'm thinking that the lower gearing would cause the motor to turn at higher rpms than it is designed to run best at. the peak power on dsl motors comes on lower so most trucks with the dsl have taller gears to keep the motor down in it's power band. not an expert on this but am thinking 3.92 gears is already plenty low for a dsl rig.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
If you are looking at a 4x4 in your tow rig, you'd have to change the front gears too....which from what I've read doesn't seem possible because the way the front end/axle is designed. If youare going with a 4x2(RWD) then a gear change shouldn't be an issue. But with what is mentioned previously, changing your gears will not net you more towing capacity...