Question about 8 lug bolt patterns....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

notinfallible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V-10 Gas
I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 with an eight lug pattern. Will the rims from a 2015 Dodge Ram 2500 with an eight lug pattern fit on my 1998? From my brief research, it looks like they both have 8x165.1 bolt patterns, so that would suggest they'd be interchangeable, correct?

Thanks in advance!

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That is correct. Three things for you to verify are:

1. Offset - It varies by stock tire size and wheel diameter.
2. Lug & nut thread pitch - There was a change between the 3rd gen & 4th gen production.
3. Lug nut shoulder - You'll want your truck's lug nuts to insure they fit the lug thread. You may have to find some with a round or tapered end to fit the different wheels depending on which ones you get.

OP
OP
notinfallible

notinfallible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V-10 Gas
That is correct. Three things for you to verify are:

1. Offset - It varies by stock tire size and wheel diameter.
2. Lug & nut thread pitch - There was a change between the 3rd gen & 4th gen production.
3. Lug nut shoulder - You'll want your truck's lug nuts to insure they fit the lug thread. You may have to find some with a round or tapered end to fit the different wheels depending on which ones you get.

How does one determine what Offset is required? How can one determine what the offset of a rim currently is? I'm just trying to understand what all of these things mean more thoroughly.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Wheel offset and backspacing explained:

wheel-offset-diagram.jpg

Converting offset (mm) to backspacing (inches)
EDU_wheel-offset-backspacing-conversion-chart.jpg

Wheel specs are here:

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/

OP
OP
notinfallible

notinfallible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V-10 Gas
I should have taken measurements of the rims that were on my truck a week ago. The rims were aftermarket 16" with 285/65/16's on them. It's too late for me to measure the offset of the rims that were on it. Is there any way for me to know what offset I'll need before purchasing new rims? It's a 1998 Ram 2500 v10... sorry for the redundancy. :confused:

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The website I linked shows the stock offsets for your truck.

OP
OP
notinfallible

notinfallible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V-10 Gas
Okay. Thank you!

By the way, that is a great website you linked. I've learned a lot in the brief couple of moments that I've been on it.

:cheers:

Last edited:

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yeah, I use that one a lot.

Keep in mind that you don't need to strictly follow the offset numbers shown on that website. You do have some leeway in wheel width, offset, diameter, etc....

As an example, let's say you have a stock offset of 28mm and found some wheels that have a 18mm offset, a difference of 10mm. 10mm = 0.393701 inches. Not a huge change and that amount is not a fitment issue.

So if you find a wheel you like, in the right bolt circle size, but the offset is different it doesn't mean it won't fit.

OP
OP
notinfallible

notinfallible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V-10 Gas
Okay, I found a set of rims and tires from a 2013 ram 2500, but that website doesn't have any info for a 2500 in 2013.

I looked at some other sites and found that the 2013's have the same bolt pattern, but they are 17's and my 1998 came with 16's.

Is that going to cause any problems?

I couldn't find what the offset is for that year, so all I know is that the bolt pattern is the same.

Last edited:

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Okay, I found a set of the rims and tires from a 2013 ram 2500, but that website doesn't have any info for a 2500 in 2013.

I looked at some other sites and found that the 2013's have the same bolt pattern, but they are 17's and my 1998 came with 16's.

Is that going to cause any problems?

I couldn't find what the offset is for that year, so all I know is that the bolt pattern is the same.

No the larger rim diameter won’t hurt anything. You will have to use your original lugnuts.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

OP
OP
notinfallible

notinfallible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V-10 Gas
Thanks for the reassurance. I've been looking around this website and everybody seems to have such nice trucks. I'll upload a picture of mine just to offset all the pimped out rides people seem to have on this forum. Most of you will probably be like....:wtf:.....why would this guy want that pickup? It's a 1998 with only 152,000 miles on it. In my opinion, that is low miles.

Sorry for veering off-topic...

I'm picking up the rims at my neighbors work tonight around midnight! I can't wait to get my truck off jack-stands and off the street. It doesn't get much more white trashy than having your truck on jack-stands with a trailer connected to it, full of scrap metal right at the entrance to this wonderful trailer court.

:think:

OP
OP
notinfallible

notinfallible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V-10 Gas
Again, thank you for the good info...

I just put the rims and tires on the truck and the bolt pattern is a match, but the front rims make a slight scrapping noise when I spin the wheels. It's too late and dark to see in there or invest this further, but I will first thing in the morning. There was nothing obvious that I could see rubbing. It sounded like brake pads when they are completely wore down to metal on metal.

Any ideas on what could be scrapping?

OP
OP
notinfallible

notinfallible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V-10 Gas
There is plenty of clearance between the rim and the caliper and I can't find anything that is rubbing on the front rims, but still a slight rubbing noise. What could possible be making noise on both of the front rims?

Its drives and handles great. No vibrations, clunks or steering problems. Still I have hear something rubbing. It's hard to describe the noise. It's almost inaudible.