Question about actual ordering vs online build and price

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowindown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I plan to order a 3500 4x4 crew cab long bed single rear wheels. It will mostly replace, although I plan to keep, my current 07 1500 hemi with 3.92 gears, which I bought new 15 years ago. I'm a fairly frugal person, as the fact that my truck I bought 15 years ago (230,000 miles) is still my daily driver shows. I don't require many extras but there are a few things I would like.

My main mechanical requirements are long bed, 6.4 engine, 3.10 gears and 50 gal tank. The reason for the long bed is so we can pull our camper and haul our golf cart in the truck bed at the same time. I am mostly looking at the big horn edition as you can add fog lights and tan cloth is a choice. One of the issues I'm having on the build site is if I add the bed utility group, it forces me to add either level A equip or level C and then safety group B. Likewise, if I add one of the equip groups it forces safety group B on me. While I'm not necessarily opposed to equipment group A and might would add it anyway, I do not really care for safety group B, especially at the nearly $3K price tag.

There are a few other examples of online requirements I don't really care for. For example, I cannot choose night edition without the equipment and safety choices above, I cannot make a night edition without a black interior and I cannot add the 9 alpine speakers to a bighorn without making the equip and safety group selections.

So, I was wondering if the same choices are required when you go in person to order or if you have more freedom of selection.

Thanks

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I cannot make a night edition without a black interior
The Night editions are always going to have black/black, just the way it is.

You have to figure out the combos that you want that won't require another selection.
I've played with the builder and found certain things you have to skip around and click on first instead of the Groups.

I don't know if it's the same for dealers.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I was playing around the builder, I clicked on Group C and it didn't require the Safety group. I also didn't click the Bed Utility group, but you can scroll down and you click LED bed lighting, and then scroll further and you can click the spray in bed liner separately.

I was also able to click the Alpine system....

WoodGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The most important thing for me was 4:10's and 52 gallon tank, so the rest was easy ;). I dealt directly with the fleet manager when I ordered and ended up with a better price then building online as well

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The most important thing for me was 4:10's and 52 gallon tank, so the rest was easy ;). I dealt directly with the fleet manager when I ordered and ended up with a better price then building online as well
When I ordered my 21 I built it on the site and shopped it to the big dealers in the country. Got the best price and then went to my local dealer and told them if they would match it I would buy from them. Three months later I picked up my new truck. Point is the internet build price is just a starting point for negotiations on a new truck.

OP
OP
S

slowindown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies guys.

The 4.10s, the 50 gallon tank and long bed are most important to me too. But since I will keep the truck for at least 10 years, barring a collision, there are a few other things I would like too - like my color choices. I see you can add fog lights and bed lights by themselves on the bighorn selections. I would like adjustable pedals but I do not care for dual zone climate control etc. so unless the ordering is different at the dealer, I guess I won't have them. I do want a bed step, but I can order that separately - same for upgraded speakers. I do see you can add equip C for $4500 but really the only thing I care about in it are the adjustable pedals - so I guess I won't have adjustable pedals.

OP
OP
S

slowindown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FWIW, the build site will now allow you to make the selections that I mentioned.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That's good. Order what you want and nothing else. That is what I did. Good luck.

Red

Downzero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just noticed that the build a ram website you can no longer get the 8.4 unit with nav.

OP
OP
S

slowindown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was able to order what I wanted from Mark Dodge in St. Charles, LA, which is a bit over 200 miles from me. My local dealer could not order the hemi. 2022 orders end 5/2/22.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just noticed that the build a ram website you can no longer get the 8.4 unit with nav.
I just picked up myn2022 2500 Bighorn today. It was built on 4/22/22 but the dealer ordered it for dealer stock back in October and just got it in last week. It has the 8.4 with NAV even though the web site won't let you build it that way. I have no idea if it's because of when it was ordered or if it's because dealers can order options you can't build online. I just lucked into a truck on the lot that was just what I wanted.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It is always best to steer clear of the Dodge Dealership Showroom Sales Group
They have Junior Salesmen & they can't fart without running to the Assistant Sales Manager or the Sales Manager.
They have run too many times if you have done your research.
That laptop computer they carry & refer to is exactly what you could carry with you, there is no different software than you have. They run to the Manager for any information that is not on your own laptop.
The Managers on the other hand have what is called
DEALER CONNECT
You will always pay Commission when dealing with the Showroom Sales Team

I go to either Dodge VIP Sales Team, usually their senior salesman have access to Dealer Connect

The best sales team is called the FLEET/INTERNET Sales Team
All contact can be done by internet or telephone, but if you are uncomfortable doing business that way, you can request to see who you will be working with.
Most every sales person on the Fleet/Internet Team are Senior Sales Persons & they do have direct access to the Dealer Connect website.
Another thing is, the sales team is on salary with bonuses

I bought my Ram through a senior salesman that had his own office & he was part of the Fleet/Internet & VIP Sales teams
When i asked a question that he could not answer off the top of his head, he actually called Dodge Headquarters in Auburn Michigan & they Faxed the information back.
He only left the office to ***, as did i, too much coffee