Question about my '98 1500 Laramie 5.9 - Clicking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnum
Hey everyone - My trusty Dodge Ram has been making a clicking sound from the front right wheel when I drive forwards. Sounds a bit worse (louder) when I am driving a little slower. It goes away when I'm turning. I have attached a couple of photos and a link to a video below. Any advice much appreciated! I love this old truck and fingers crossed it isn't anything too serious.

Video:

Cheers! C

20190327_183808.jpg

20190327_183831.jpg

rezzy_85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Does it only quite when you turn to the left or does it when you turn to the right also? Could be a wheel bearing

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnum
Quietens if I steer in either direction. Looks like the UJoint is loose (rattling) when the truck is in park and wheel turned all the way to the right. Think that could be doing it?

OP
OP
K

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnum
Going to do the bearings on both sides as well :)

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
do the bearings, and u joints, and the ball joints, or whatever those are called that connected the hub to axle. should fix it.

OP
OP
K

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnum
Thx. Got a quote on the labor for both sides front ujoints and bearings - $350 total. I'm supplying the parts. Seem reasonable?

Reactions: Mop

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
If you can get the whole job done correctly for $500 or less, including parts that seems fair to me.

You could call another shop, tell them the parts you want replaced and compare quotes?

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Sad part....u joints had a grease zerk (that little nut like fixture on the end of the cap) and were never greased.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah, that's likely the u-joint. I remember back when my driver's side went out and I kept driving it like that because I was too freakin' broke to have it replaced. Well, by the time I got to it, the holes where the caps fit to were ovalled out but I knew a guy that was certain he could make new u-joints fit snugly in the ovalled holes. Yeah...I drove the truck twice and the entire u-joint literally fell apart, resulting in the axle shaft yoke grinding the hell out of the steering knuckle. Ended up having to replace both.

I backtracked and never did find a single piece of that u-joint.

Also, I used Moog non-greasable "Super Strength" u-joints. They're supposed to be stronger than the greasable type, although they're not expected to last as long. Been a few years now and they're still holding up fine, though, despite Moog's increasingly shaky reputation...

Last edited: