question about transmission(s)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carl newton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ford diesel
looking to do a upgrade in a year or so going from a 2003 7.3L ford with the 4r100,, (4 speed that is know to be a weak link), to a ram 2500 HD diesel 4x4 truck..

I doing some reading it seem the Asian trans is the best with the 6.7, year 2105 to 2018, and was wondering how you tell which unit a truck has..?? is there a digit or letter on the VIN that will let you know?

What model are they available on looking at the Ram Laramie 4 door trucks.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
Those model years the only trucks that had the Aisan transmission are the Cab and Chassis 3500, 4500, and 5500 series. Truthfully I would rather drive a CTD with the 68 RFE because the Aisan trucks have too much torque management through the first 4 trans gears, and they require more service. If you are going to use the truck for severe duty heavy hauling, as in industrial use, then you may want the Aisan, but for just normal driving and towing a camper I think you would be happier with the 68. I have nearly 75,000 miles on my 2011 with the 68rfe and some miles towing our 32' 5er and the trans in my truck runs as well as when it was new. I will say that I am running a transmission tune along with the engine 50hp tow tune and delete via EZlynk. In my narrow minded opinion most people that have early failure of their 68 is due to hot rodding. These trucks have a lot of torque and they will take out any automatic transmission if they are driven with with a foolish amount of skinny pedal.