Question about Vararam intake breather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quick question. I guess the chrome piece at the end of the hose off of the Vararam is the "breather". Is it normal to click while idling/driving? Is there anything I can do to make it quieter? Or anything I can buy to replace it that doesn't make noise? Thanks in advance. I shot a video earlier today, no idea how to post it up.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I’ve never heard mine make a noise. I put it on the short elbow that was on the original hose that you put it on but mine is back on the drivers side sitting under the engine cover out of site out of mind.

OP
OP
texan279

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve never heard mine make a noise. I put it on the short elbow that was on the original hose that you put it on but mine is back on the drivers side sitting under the engine cover out of site out of mind.

Thanks I may try that.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It’s all stock parts just puts out of sight and the cover may quiet your noise? I’d take a picture of it for you but the truck is getting dyno tuned at the shop and I’m well over 1000 miles away from it right now.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mine has a tiny tick. I was told injectors pulse nothing like that though. You are gonna hear more though you removed the cover.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Hemi 808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just installed my Vararam this past weekend. Got it from Moe's and followed his youtube video.

The breather is installed on the other side of the engine close to the oil fill cap.

Didn't notice any clicking or ticking.

Hemi 808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a question to add. Does everyone's hood hard to close after the install? I'm not one to slam hoods. I lay it down first, then push down with both hands. I have to push down hard several time to get it to catch. Tried adjusting the height of the vararam as low as possible, doesn't make any difference. I bend the AC line as stated in the video and have about 1/2" clearance with the vararam resting with the hood open.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hemi, that’s what I did as well. Works and looks nice as well.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a question to add. Does everyone's hood hard to close after the install? I'm not one to slam hoods. I lay it down first, then push down with both hands. I have to push down hard several time to get it to catch. Tried adjusting the height of the vararam as low as possible, doesn't make any difference. I bend the AC line as stated in the video and have about 1/2" clearance with the vararam resting with the hood open.

I don’t have any issues and I didn’t adjust anything. I made sure the intake tube on the throttle body is all the way down and made sure the rubber strip on the top of the outside housing is all the way down.

Hemi 808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm going to redo it this weekend. For some reason, the hose clamps I got are way too big, like 6 inch plus. Going to change it out to proper sized ones and try putting the intake tube on the vararam first, then bolting the vararam with the intake tube attached, to the throttle body.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I usually attach it to the Vararam and tighten it down there and then put it on the throttle body and use a long flathead screwdriver to tighten the bottom clamp that way.

OP
OP
texan279

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you all for the replies. It appears I may have installed the breather filter with way more hose than I needed. I have a tendency to get frustrated and start to rush things when working on projects. I'll take a look again tomorrow. Thanks all.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you pull the breather off does the noise stop? If it does I would replace it with a new one, they're a couple bucks at any parts store...

OP
OP
texan279

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you pull the breather off does the noise stop? If it does I would replace it with a new one, they're a couple bucks at any parts store...

I moved it to the right side a short while ago. Appears noise is still there, I can't tell what the hell is making the noise. But the noise is definitely worse on the left side of you are facing the front of the truck.

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like an exhaust leak or a very noisy valve train to me personally. I would be looking in to this a little further.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I hear a little tapping but it all sounds like valvetrain noise that isn’t abnormal. Maybe I’m missing it or your phone is amplifying the valvetrain and I’m just not able to hear what you’re talking about.

OP
OP
texan279

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone for replying. I stopped by my mechanic on the way home, he said the sound is normal. Said these engines are known for being a bit "noisy". Said it's just a combination of moving components, also said that taking the engine cover off for the Vararam makes everything louder. Said should only worry if I start hearing "tapping" sounds, he called these "ticking" sounds. Makes sense I guess. I have no reason not to trust him. Thanks again all.