Question Before I Buy 2017 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ready Freddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After months of searching for a 2017 1500 RWD that suits my preferences and needs, the ones that have the other options I want typically don't have the Anti-Slip option. So before I pull the trigger on the one that has caught my eye,

Q1-How important is that option if I will only be using the truck on roads and not towing? (Concerns include typical metro-Atlanta icy roads, rare off-road potential. Reading various threads regarding traction control has me believing if traction is lost, the electronic system might simply bring the truck to a halt??)

Q2-Can anyone provide a "real-world" cost to install?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited:

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Personally I Beleive everyone should have a limited slip differential just because you don't know how much difference it makes until you actually get into a simple situation where it has you going aww crap only one wheel is spinning! That said traction control helps sometimes and hinderes most times depends on the situation. A locker/limited slip can run from $600-2000 depending what you want for your situation I'd go with Detroit locker or equivelant and a shop would probly charge a couple hundred to install.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel with the Hemi it should be standard. I had one without it and hated not having it

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Before my Ram, I had two trucks with an open rear differential. Determined I would never have another open diff again. To me, an open diff just results in a one-wheel drive truck in the rear.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you find a truck you really like, and it doesn't have it, they're not that expensive to have installed.

If mine didn't have the factory LSD, I'd go with the Eaton Detroit True Track.

I'll never be without some form of limited slip device.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I can give you real world I had a 2010 with open diff. I had the rear axle rebuilt under the recall. At that time I had them upgrade to the anti spin diff. The cost of the diff by its self was $350-400 I dont remember the exact price. I know to have a axle rebuilt at a local truck shop is about 250 in labor. So diff 375 plus install kit $200 plus 250 labor that's a total of $825 probably about your best case. Now driving difference its night and day. To me with the open diff the truck always felt like it pulled left under hard acceleration after the anti spin it was straight and smooth as can be, it felt stable and tractions was great. I even got it off road a little bit and it did good. All 2wd have there limits and suck in ice. Is it worth 825 cash it's hard to say but its definitely a great option to have.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Q2-Can anyone provide a "real-world" cost to install?

Tell the dealer that it's a deal breaker and you want it installed as part of the purchase or you'll get that "other" one you've been looking at.

I guess this only works if it's a dealer and not a private party.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an open rear diff. and regret not going having lsd. The only saving grace is that it's a 4x4.

OP
OP
R

Ready Freddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you all for the input! Still looking. Will post an update when the right truck comes along.

OP
OP
R

Ready Freddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK, Ladies & Gentlemen,

Found my "dream truck", a 2016 in near new condition with 13,500 miles (ltd. slip 3.92). Dang, this a darn nice truck, enjoyable to drive, great looking. Thanks for the input and recommendations! Freddy is ready! More later.

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had a 2014 1500 with out lsd. Pulled a 6000lb boat. Had a 3.92. I really never had a problem at ramps in snow or anywhere else. Never took it mudding. I kept the truck in 4auto its whole life and never turned the msd off. Put 115k on that truck .Never had a problem. BUT if i did it again which i did 16 2500 with lsd i would look for one with it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
As others have stated, having a LSD installed isn't much money in relation to buying a vehicle. If the vehicle you find doesn't have one, it really shouldn't be a deal breaker if the rest of the vehicle is what your looking for.

south7west

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 LoneStar
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck has the 3.92 rear axle gearing and I was curious to know how you can tell whether or not you have a LSD? It is RWD.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Google your VIN, should have build sheet.