Question for Rebel owners about tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hi,

Ordered 2021 Rebel back in Feb. Still waiting for it.

Curious, those that have the one. If you tow a trailer with it. Have you replaced the stock tires?
Been reading the forums here and on another site. Some people mention using E type tires are better?

Also anyone have interesting mods or changes to their rebel?

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont have a rebel but I believe the "E" is the load rating of the tire. Id imagine it would depend upon the trailer you're pulling but if the trailer is within the towing/hauling specs of the truck I wouldn't worry too much about it.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't have a Rebel but being a "sporty" 1/2 ton I'd guess you are going to exceed the payload rating of the truck before you get into E rate tire range. With that said my friends Rebel came with Goodyear Duratracs and in my experience those have a very "squishy" ride to begin with and would not be my choice for a towing tire so a better tire might be in order if you tow a lot.

OP
OP
CanRebel

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for the replies.

I purchased it because I like the look of the Rebel vs others models.

It said it could tow 11250 or around there. So figured, I could use it to tow a trailer as well.
Been looking at Jayco Trailers, as they have mentioned 1/2 ton models.

I have never towed trailer before. After reading, it seems at least some people mentioning Trailer
and Truck manufactures numbers don't really mean you can tow those weights.

Dry weight for one the trailers, I was looking at, is 8100.

Truck says it comes with lt275/70r18 owl all-terrain tires, so figured if I did get the trailer.
I should look at putting different tires. I don't really plan on towing often. 1 or 2 weeks a year.

With covid and chip issues, waiting a long time for the Truck to be built.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The Rebel already has an LT tire which are usually at least D if not E already.
The door plate air pressure for the rears will be significantly less than the max inflation, you can add an extra 5-10 psi when towing if the rear end feels squirrelly.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
~11k Tow rating is the max I see on a the 1500 tow chart, I would bet a rebel is less then that (that high number is usually a stripped down truck). And a 8100lb trailer dry is over what I would ever tow with a 1500. I don't care what the rating says that kind of weight is just not stable behind a 1/2 ton truck. If it's just towing that weight once in a blue moon for a short distance it's probably okay but if plan on hauling a travel trailer around more often that is NOT the truck I'd be doing it with.

I'm sure this is not what you want to hear but I would seriously re-think what you want to tow and maybe move up to a 3/4-1 ton truck if that size trailer is what you want.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Not sure about the new Rebels, but my '17 came with LT285/70-17 Toyos which were E load rated.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
I've always put E rated 10 ply tires on my previous 1/2 ton pickups, stiffer sidewalls, less flats. You can run them at lower pressures when not towing. That said dont go over the max towing limit.

OP
OP
CanRebel

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks, Rule and Crash, you both are correct. I should have check better before posting. They are already E load rated.

OP
OP
CanRebel

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
~11k Tow rating is the max I see on a the 1500 tow chart, I would bet a rebel is less then that (that high number is usually a stripped down truck). And a 8100lb trailer dry is over what I would ever tow with a 1500. I don't care what the rating says that kind of weight is just not stable behind a 1/2 ton truck. If it's just towing that weight once in a blue moon for a short distance it's probably okay but if plan on hauling a travel trailer around more often that is NOT the truck I'd be doing it with.

I'm sure this is not what you want to hear but I would seriously re-think what you want to tow and maybe move up to a 3/4-1 ton truck if that size trailer is what you want.

Hi, Couple questions. I'm not saying you are wrong or anything. Just trying to learn more.
Is there technical reason why you think that or personal view?

As I mentioned, I didn't originally purchase to tow anything. When I started looking into trailers. I noticed some people saying the same as you have.
So bit confusing when Ram says Max tow weight for this model, and trailer company says weight, and made for 1/2 tons.
I looked around for WDH. Was thinking about getting Hensley Arrow Anti-Sway. Seemed to have good reviews.

So far I've put buying trailer on hold. Mostly because I'm still waiting for the truck to actually show up :)

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@CanRebel there's more to towing than the max tow capacity, that rating is pure weight and doesn't factor other forces like wind-load and leverage.
You also need to factor in load percentages and axle weight ratings. When you hear someone say towing a 8K lbs trailer behind a 1500 truck is a white knuckle endeavor, they didn't have it set up correctly.
Here is a good read on how to set up a truck for towing by someone who has more miles towing with a 1500 than most on this forum drive their trucks. Vern has over 800K on his EcoD most of which is pulling travel trailers.

OP
OP
CanRebel

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have been reading some of his posts. Not that one thought. Thanks for the link. Some of his comments remind me of some my older relatives :)
Company I work for, co-owns a cat scale, so I'll be doing that as often as needed.
As mentioned, I have zero experience with travel trailer, just little trailers. Want to get as much information as possible before I purchase one.
I might just buy a 2500 next year with TT, keep Rebel just for normal driving.

REBEL12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-torque
i have 2019 Rebel and it came with the (E) rated tires and i do tow a TT 30 foot 7600lb no problem's

OP
OP
CanRebel

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
i have 2019 Rebel and it came with the (E) rated tires and i do tow a TT 30 foot 7600lb no problem's
Is that loaded weight or dry weight? Which WDH did you go with?

MarkCA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You ordered it February and you are still waiting for delivery? Over 4 months?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your biggest issue with a trailer of that weight will be the payload and rear axle weight rating.
Very few 8100 lbs. dry weight trailers are going to be close to that weight when camping ready - most are going to be over 9k.