Question from you Experienced Ram Drivers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Going to start off say, I'm using to driving my car and/or sometimes F150

I'm not sure if it's just me not use to how this Truck handles yet.

Rebel has air suspension, which I've never had on Truck before.

I put it to Aero Mode and also tried with Normal mode.

Truck seems bouncy. Can feel it in steering wheel, and also Truck. It's not lot, but I seem to have keep
correcting it. I am driving on a highway, it's also at times bit windy, not major though.

Is this 'normal' or just me? Seems to sway a lot. Truck is empty.

Advice?

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
How is your tire pressure? Assuming the 2021's are the same as my 18' is 55 front, 45 rear. They will tend to bounce a bit if too low. I've has 2 Rebel's (16 & 18) both with 4 corner air, they definitely ride a bit different than my previous truck which was a 2011 1500 Big Horn.

OP
OP
CanRebel

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It says on console. tire pressure is 4.2 for all tires

OP
OP
CanRebel

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I installed the Uconnect app. It sent me an email.
1629849059369.png

The app says 441 Left Front, 353 Right Front
Left Rear 448, Right Rear 448

Need to fix Right Front.
Then I guess I'll try to lower back little bit, and both front.

I ordered Hellwig Sway bar, which should be here tomorrow.
Adding that, does that effect what I should do with tire pressure?

OP
OP
CanRebel

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Dumb app was in metric... Now it's PSI, and I can read it :)

OP
OP
CanRebel

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I put all tires to 52 PSI/359 I noticed a huge difference just test driving on street, haven't tried highway yet.
Before, I would press gas, tires would spin bit. Now when I do it, the Truck moves like it has a Hemi.
Sorta of expected I guess. I need to purchase set of rims and tires when I'm driving to work. Keep these ones for fun.

Depending how this feels. I might try 55 in front and 50 in back. Test it again.

OP
OP
CanRebel

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just doing 52 on all of them, driving on highway. Huge difference.

I will taking both your advices, and doing 50 front/45 rear.

You put 20" wheels? What do you go with? Did you have mod things?

I seen someone mention they put these on a Rebel, stock with no mods or spaces.
Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT
Only 18" but reviews seem good.
Going be winter in few months. So need to pick something that will work for that.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
'18 Rebel door panel sticker (What I always use to set my tire pressure on all vehicles) is 55/45, rides great, no "bounce".

Crawgator59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Piece of advice get rid of the air suspension. It’s not a question if, but when it will go out. Mine last December and was fixed under warranty. Just went out again out of warranty. Replaced system with 2” coil over lift kit. Even had it been still under warranty, I still would have replaced it. 2017 Rebel here.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
My 2017 Rebel has the four corner air. E rated front tires at 55 (cold) and rear at 45 (cold) and it rides and handles great.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Piece of advice get rid of the air suspension. It’s not a question if, but when it will go out. Mine last December and was fixed under warranty. Just went out again out of warranty. Replaced system with 2” coil over lift kit. Even had it been still under warranty, I still would have replaced it. 2017 Rebel here.
Did the shop not have some kind of parts/labor warranty on the work??? Seems like under a year should be a shop issue...

Crawgator59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe, but I already had in my mind to get rid of the air ride. After 2 breakdowns not reliable enough for me. The last time I was pulling my 24’ bay boat. Luckily I was only 15 minutes from my camp. Not gonna take a chance again. Plus the dealership had for 2 weeks the first time.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You're right of course, eventually air suspension will have issues. But, the design of the air suspension on 5th gens seems to be a lot better than it was on 4th gens. When I owned a 2017 Rebel I was constantly reading about failures with the air suspension. And is part of the reason I got rid of that truck. Since the 5th gens have been out I've only seen a couple of issues with the system. Air suspension is a must have for us. The wife loves the entry/exit mode, and I like to raise it all the way and deploy the side steps to help reduce door dings when I park in crowded parking lots.