Question on how make money renting my truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Put a load of wet sand in the back and see what THAT does! LOL. Did you have to shovel it off ...for the $20?

In all fairness, I thought I read the OP was thinking (toying with the idea) about hauling ...for people, but not outright renting his truck for others to drive. He'd be able to refuse jobs he didn't feel good about. That's how I read it, correct me if I'm wrong. I agree on the hot-shot trucking. A guy would need a trailer and probably a dually for that job ...or at least a 3/4 ton. I know a guy real well who was making more than his previous job doing h/s trucking (and loves it!). He quit his former job this spring to go full time. Last I saw him he was doing pretty well (he never gave me any numbers), and was thinking about hiring a guy to drive another truck. His wife has a good steady job which carries health insurance etc. Those things have to be factored in. The driving and hours have to be something that a guy enjoys, or like anything it could become a grind.

Last edited:

Mittens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12v Cummins
I did security for a power plant for a while. We had hotshots quite often. Usually a box in the passenger seat. Sometimes a crate in the bed. Very rarely something on a trailer.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
That happens quite often, a large truck is loaded with a product that needs to be assembled & some needed piece of hardware is missing, it could be fasteners or a control box.

The trucking company can bring it on the next load, but it is needed the following day or two, someone will call a service that can expedite the missing part(s)

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can always give it a try, cherry pick the 'good jobs' as best you can (since you don't NEED to do this), and see how it goes. Throw up a shingle and try a few. Think ahead what qualifying questions to ask (to deselect the loser jobs) and see how it goes.

Another idea, is if you know what times you generally are free, go to a couple large factories or operations nearby, and tell them you'd like to get on their list of couriers. As someone said above, when a key part fails, a factory or large operation needs to get a replacement part FAST. It's nothing to pay a lot for a courier to deliver a key part if it means getting a production line up and running (which could be losing $30k+ per hour while not running). But then you have to be prepared to drop everything and MOVE if you get the call.

So, yeah, you can always give it a try and stop doing it if you want. There are places here which rent a pickup for around $20/1.5-2 hours, so you're competing against that kind of pricing. Our local gas station has a sign which pays 18/hr for new hires (starting) ...and even then they're short-staffed. You might be better off doing 5-6 hrs a week at something like that and not wearing your truck out.

Mittens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12v Cummins
I've had the thought before to make an app like uber but for stuff. customers post their stuff (camper, tractor, washer...) and the to and from, then haulers can pick a load to take. Not at all what you're looking for, but it'd be neat to upset the industry like uber has.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I've had the thought before to make an app like uber but for stuff. customers post their stuff (camper, tractor, washer...) and the to and from, then haulers can pick a load to take. Not at all what you're looking for, but it'd be neat to upset the industry like uber has.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have my own business, i have to be certified & pay commercial insurance, i also have to have special equipment.

Before i got sick 18 months ago
I got paid $170 to do a more or less local job
Anything away from Local, i got paid $1.70 a mile

Now with the transportation industry being what it is
i don't know what the local jobs go for
The out of town jobs are paying $2.00 per mile

I did Three 600 mile jobs in 6 days, but that was a good week & does not happen often
The only thing is, you only get paid when follow behind a load
zero dollars when dead heading, as it is called

1665222786088.png

1665222909590.png
below is a 60 person survival craft, it was going from San Diego to South Padre Island to be stationed on an oil rig

1665223081859.png
1665223690529.png

Last edited:

EveReynolds

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Hey there! I saw your post about renting out your truck for hauling or moving services. It's a great idea to make some extra cash with your free time. Regarding pricing, you should factor in your truck's time, gas expenses, and wear and tear. You could charge hourly or per job, depending on what works best for you. It's also good to research what other similar services are charging in your area to stay competitive. Remember to ensure you have the proper insurance and licenses to protect yourself and your customers. Btw, Have you considered checking out some of the best money making apps as an alternative way to make some extra cash? Anyway, keep us updated on how it's going, man!!

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m not sure which forum this question belongs in. Admin feel free to move it or delete it if violates the rules. Apologies in advance

Thread
I have 2017 truck with 50,000km on it. My weekends are free and I was thinking about providing hauling or moving services. Has anyone ever done this? How did you price the jobs? How much can one potentially make? Ideally I would want customer to load and unload and I would provide the driving. I’m just wondering if I can make a few extra bucks since my truck is just sitting there. I’ve never done anything like this for others. Wondering if anyone can chime in with experience. I live in Southern Ontario (Canada)

I’m not sure which forum this question belongs in. Admin feel free to move it or delete it if violates the rules. Apologies in advance

Thread
I have 2017 truck with 50,000km on it. My weekends are free and I was thinking about providing hauling or moving services. Has anyone ever done this? How did you price the jobs? How much can one potentially make? Ideally I would want customer to load and unload and I would provide the driving. I’m just wondering if I can make a few extra bucks since my truck is just sitting there. I’ve never done anything like this for others. Wondering if anyone can chime in with experience. I live in Southern Ontario (Canada)
You're crazy. I watch how my friends treat my vehicles and boat when I lend it to them. They treat my stuff like a rental and me like a b*i*t*c*h*. Nobody, and I mean nobody, will ever care for your stuff like you do. If you're looking for all kinds of problems and bringing/fixing all the crap that they break, more power to you. Not worth any kind of money you may make, let alone the liability that is placed on you and your insurance.
Leave it in the driveway all weekend, you keep your keys, and when you get home, it will be in the same condition you left it in.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Never let anyone drive your vehicle when you are not in that same vehicle.
Smell their breath, before you start out.

I have First Cousins that i would never let borrow or test drive my Ram or Harley Davidson.

Heck, because of their actions, they lost a nice little Connecticut Dairy Farm
They were not growing anything illegal, just using it & drinking up a storm.
Their parents took care of the property, until they passed away, 2 years later, the property was condemned & taxes, etc. took the land.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Driving for Uber might be the best bet. Esp airport runs if you can get them. Do you have an airport in your area? A lot of times you get a group of 4 travelers with multiple pieces of luggage, and a regular Nissan Sentra won't work. And neither might a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Your pickup might.

Another idea might be to sell it and get an older Ford/Ram 3/4 ton in decent shape. Something more affordable. Then put a snow plow on it. A guy can buy snow plows pretty cheap this time of year (used)...for the fraction of new. The best time is in April... You could make plenty over the winter plowing snow. Either a few local apartments, or commercial contracts. You are in Canada, right?

If you don't want to do extra work, forget about renting or leasing it out. Unless you like the game of risk. Sell it and buy something you can afford, like a an early Gen3 Ram with a 4.7, or an early 00's GM GMT800 tk in nice condition. Either are rock-solid and cheap insurance. Insurance on an older Tk like that would be ~$200 a YEAR if you have a decent record...don't need collision. And they get you around just as well. No Hemi tick, $2,500 EPS to fail, or blend doors to break, or $3,500 cams to fix, or warped exh manifolds.

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
OP posted the question over a year ago and never posted again. I'm thinking the window for useful advise to be taken has closed...

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll troll the Toyota forums for him, lol...
:D