Question on Locking Lug Nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
Even though they are still defeatable, I’d much rather have my locking wheel nuts on there as opposed to not having them at all because they do still act as a deterrent. But actually if you look at one of those locking wheel nuts from Mopar, I like that they’re not completely flat on the sides of the nuts which would actually make it rather difficult and finding the right size plane socket to hammer on there or even one of those tools I talked about and even then, there’s also a steel band that’s not even part of the lug nut itself that wraps around the side of it so, even if you were able to hammer something on there, that steel band isn’t going to grab the lug nut so I’m kind of curious what the dealership had to do to remove those off the OP’s truck.
Sorry, but I've removed the ones with the rotating ring just as easy as the regular ones. You hammer a 12 point socket over it and it grips the inner nut. I keep several sockets that are dedicated to removing lock nuts. I've had many issues over the years.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, but I've removed the ones with the rotating ring just as easy as the regular ones. You hammer a 12 point socket over it and it grips the inner nut. I keep several sockets that are dedicated to removing lock nuts. I've had many issues over the years.
Locking nuts KEEP the HONEST people Honest. But yes, there are even You Tube videos mon how to remove locking nuts.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, it sounded good anyways. I figured they’d be a little more difficult to remove than just your basic locking lug nut that isn’t rounded and doesn’t have that steel band.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Unless you live in a high crime area I would get rid of them it happened to me with my jeep I welded a big nut on them to get them off

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless you just didn’t want to use them whatsoever, I’d just do better to keep up with the key.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have always removed my chrome McGard locking lug nuts before taking my truck to the tire shop. I also ordered a new key from McGard to keep in my truck as a spare. I also have chrome McGard locks and lugs on my trailer too.
2.JPG

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
go to the selling dealer or a discount tire or chain. they can get them off. The dealer sold them and should be responsible to get them out. Had one and took it to discount and said I wanted new locks and they were more than happy to get them off because they made the sale.

The problem is that the locking lug nuts are a dealer markup item. They charge you for the nitrogen, locks and what ever else they add on and gouge the snot out of you. So there is no oem record of the key number.

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I hate locking lug nuts , came on my new truck , didn't have the truck an hour , gone . Broke the key on my 1st set I had wwhat pain to remove . Never again , only sad part is the locking nuts are far better quality than the oem ones.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The day I brought my my 2022 home , the locking lug nuts came off and put them in a drawer where they belong . They only deter lazy thieves and not worth the aggrevation they can cause .
I’d still rather have them, myself. At least if anything, it looks good to the insurance adjuster if you can show that you at least attempted to protect your wheels instead of essentially painting a “free” sign on them without them and as far as the aggravation they cause, I don’t see how they cause aggravation when it’s the owner who loses the wheel lock key or misplaces it.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The day I brought my my 2022 home , the locking lug nuts came off and put them in a drawer where they belong . They only deter lazy thieves and not worth the aggrevation they can cause .
I agree, not only did I get rid of the MOPAR wheel locks, I got rid of those stupid aluminum capped OEM lug nuts and ordered some McGard chromed steel lug nuts

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree, not only did I get rid of the MOPAR wheel locks, I got rid of those stupid aluminum capped OEM lug nuts and ordered some McGard chromed steel lug nuts
Later on, I got rid of both the Mopar lug nuts and sold the Mopar locking lug nuts to someone and bought all new one-piece McGard nuts and matching locking nuts.