Question re 05 OBDII output

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RM-AB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all, new to the forum and have a question hoping someone can help me with. Did quite a bit looking around on the net about obd protocols, pinouts, etc but cannot find the answers i'm looking for, maybe someone can help.
I'm trying to install a heads up display/obd powered led screen display in my '05 to display some live data. I've made sure the units i have tried all "supposedly" support all the various obdii protocols, so they should work, but i cannot get a single one to communicate through the obd plug. my diagnostic scanner (innova 3100c) seems to communicate fine with the obd plug to pull error codes, but none of the displays/hud's i've tried show any more than voltage. i can't get any readings on rpm, speed, coolant temp etc, which i think the 05 should provide to the obd port. I know the displays/HUDs work, i've tried them in various other cars and they display all info, except nothing is displayed when using in the RAM. Can anyone shed any light on this ? (when searching online for anything related to 05 obd it seems a huge black hole, for 02-04 and 06-08 i can find various info, but what is the deal with 05?) thanks for any help anyone can send my way !

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Have you looked at the port
and where it connects to see if it is tapped or jumped?

In general in my personal experience.
Chrysler does not share fuel economy calculations.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RM-AB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Mister Luck, thanks for your reply. based on everything I tried I assume that there is an issue with the port or wiring going to the port or engine computer output. I'm just confused as to why i can read fault codes but no live data. I do have +12V on pin 16 and neg/ground on pin 4&5. Do you or anyone know where and what kind of resistance/signals i should see on the other pins with ignition on/off or engine running. i can't seem to find anything online to figure out how to test where/what pin might be my issue to trace it further. connected are pins (besides 4,5&16) 2,7,9,12 and 15. I also found info that the 2005 ram w/ 5.7 hemi used the SAE J1850VPW protocol and other info mentions it uses ISO9141 protocol. both protocols use different pins - do you know which pins should be transmitting some live data via the port ? thanks to anyone who can help me with this.

tomlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hi Mister Luck, thanks for your reply. based on everything I tried I assume that there is an issue with the port or wiring going to the port or engine computer output. I'm just confused as to why i can read fault codes but no live data. I do have +12V on pin 16 and neg/ground on pin 4&5. Do you or anyone know where and what kind of resistance/signals i should see on the other pins with ignition on/off or engine running. i can't seem to find anything online to figure out how to test where/what pin might be my issue to trace it further. connected are pins (besides 4,5&16) 2,7,9,12 and 15. I also found info that the 2005 ram w/ 5.7 hemi used the SAE J1850VPW protocol and other info mentions it uses ISO9141 protocol. both protocols use different pins - do you know which pins should be transmitting some live data via the port ? thanks to anyone who can help me with this.

You ever figure this out? I have an 05 and in the same boat