Questions about tail lights wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4XLGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I bought a set of used smoked LED tail lights. They came off of an '06 and my truck is an '06 so my thinking was they are plug and play. However, my '06 has a different harness/plug than the lights do...the harness/plug on my truck appears to be the same as the '02 - '05 harness/plug. My truck has 1 harness with 5 wires, and the tail lights have 2 harnesses - 3 wires on one harness and 2 wires on the other harness.

I have done a ton of searches online trying to find a wiring diagram for '06 tail lights thinking if I find out what colors are used for what I can adapt the lights to my truck, or adapt my truck to the lights.

Anyone have any info?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
try PM'ing Demon-Hemi, I know he's played with these a LOT.

OP
OP

4XLGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
^ I PM'd him but he hasn't been on since April 14th.

Hopefully he will get my PM and provide some info.

Thanks Jeremy.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I sent him an email. :D

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Lee check this out ... Follow the steps and the wire diagram is there .

http://www.dodge.com/en/business/body_builders_guide/

1. once on the main page select the link to the left for body builder
2. PDF window will open and just select your year from 2004-2009
3. select model and the n select cab type
4. select any options under technical info

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
I bought a set of used smoked LED tail lights. They came off of an '06 and my truck is an '06 so my thinking was they are plug and play. However, my '06 has a different harness/plug than the lights do...the harness/plug on my truck appears to be the same as the '02 - '05 harness/plug. My truck has 1 harness with 5 wires, and the tail lights have 2 harnesses - 3 wires on one harness and 2 wires on the other harness.

I have done a ton of searches online trying to find a wiring diagram for '06 tail lights thinking if I find out what colors are used for what I can adapt the lights to my truck, or adapt my truck to the lights.

Anyone have any info?

Thanks in advance for your help.

ok the tail lights you have are from a 07-up so obviously they wont work on your 06 without the wiring harness i make to convert trucks to use the 07 and up tails, i would offer you on but i dont have any built and they arent really that cheap to make so it comes down to how much your willing to spend, the easiest thing for you to do is sell them as the 07 tails they are and buy some 06 and under ones, i know thats not what you wnat to hear, but it is what it is, now there are other ways to make these work on your truck, but those methods would be called more "redneck" or "bubba" mods, and you would have to have some wiring skills to make em work as well, what ive done for someone who wanted the 07-up LED tails on their truck and wanted it cheap, we wired up the brake feed from the truck to the brake feed on the tail light, and his blinker feed from his truck to the reverse light and then stuck an amber bulb in the reverse light housing, now yes this removes having the reverse light, in the tail light, but TRUST ME you wouldnt be loosing much, the reverse lights in the smoked LED tails SUCK at best and you almost always need an aux reverse light if you do alot of night time backing up, which the guy i did this for had lights under his bumper, but in all honesty if your just a regular guy backing out of his driveway and such then you could use the red from the brake lights to back up if you just had too, they are plenty bright. now i can help you do any of these options if you like, and you can e-mail me or send me a im on yahoo messenger at [email protected], or just send me a pm on here, i admit i have had an absence from most of my forums do to a bunch of events going on at home but if you message me on any of them i will jump on here and reply, let me know what you wana do and we will make it work on your truck

OP
OP

4XLGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
^ I tried that a few times Dave, but couldn't get it to work...error message states the destination file could not be found.

Thanks though.

OP
OP

4XLGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Thanks Daniel, I greatly appreciate you responding.

I will email you about this for further details.

What's weird is the guy these were bought from had these on his truck and he said his truck was an '06. That can't be correct...he must've bought them to put on his truck and didn't want to fool with them, or, is it possible he doesn't know what year his truck is? LOL

Thanks again, I'll be in touch via email.

wedge775

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
ok the tail lights you have are from a 07-up so obviously they wont work on your 06 without the wiring harness i make to convert trucks to use the 07 and up tails, i would offer you on but i dont have any built and they arent really that cheap to make so it comes down to how much your willing to spend, the easiest thing for you to do is sell them as the 07 tails they are and buy some 06 and under ones, i know thats not what you wnat to hear, but it is what it is, now there are other ways to make these work on your truck, but those methods would be called more "redneck" or "bubba" mods, and you would have to have some wiring skills to make em work as well, what ive done for someone who wanted the 07-up LED tails on their truck and wanted it cheap, we wired up the brake feed from the truck to the brake feed on the tail light, and his blinker feed from his truck to the reverse light and then stuck an amber bulb in the reverse light housing, now yes this removes having the reverse light, in the tail light, but TRUST ME you wouldnt be loosing much, the reverse lights in the smoked LED tails SUCK at best and you almost always need an aux reverse light if you do alot of night time backing up, which the guy i did this for had lights under his bumper, but in all honesty if your just a regular guy backing out of his driveway and such then you could use the red from the brake lights to back up if you just had too, they are plenty bright. now i can help you do any of these options if you like, and you can e-mail me or send me a im on yahoo messenger at [email protected], or just send me a pm on here, i admit i have had an absence from most of my forums do to a bunch of events going on at home but if you message me on any of them i will jump on here and reply, let me know what you wana do and we will make it work on your truck

How was this done? I got a set of LED tails with no harness also. Just a red, green, and black wire for the turn/brake lights and a black and a white wire for the back up light. Tried wiring it up like what you stated, but the driver's side would flash along with the back up light when the lights where off. Also all the lights would flash while I had it hooked up. I couldn't even get the blinker to work on the passenger side. Do you have any kind of diagram I could follow to wire it the way you did your friends???

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
i need to see what you have before i can suggest wiring

wedge775

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Here are tow pics of the back of the lights

P3251584.jpg

P3251583.jpg

I figured out that the following:

Red - Brake Light
Green - Tail light/ Turn signal??
Black - Ground
White - Reverse light

Also these are SONAR LED tails if that helps any

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Here are tow pics of the back of the lights

P3251584.jpg

P3251583.jpg

I figured out that the following:

Red - Brake Light
Green - Tail light/ Turn signal??
Black - Ground
White - Reverse light

Also these are SONAR LED tails if that helps any

your wiring is incorrect...

if i have to guess id assume

Red - Brake/Blinker
Green - Parking
Black - Ground
white - Reverse +

that being said, im not sure exactly which one (red or green) will be which, but it will go like this

Brake & Blinker will be one wire

Tail lights will be another

black will be the obvious ground and white will be the + on the reverse light...

now what you will need to do to make these work (this is the easiest way but will leave you without reverse lights) is wire the parking light wire to your parking lights on your truck.

then wire your brake light wire from your truck to the blinker/brake wire on the tails.

then take both ground wires from the Tail light and wire them to the ground wire on your truck.

and finally take the blinker wire from your truck and wire it to the + wire of the reverse light and replace the bulb in the reverse light area with amber.

you will leave the reverse light wire from your truck disconnected unless you have some AUX lights on the back that you want to use as reverse lights

Last edited:

wedge775

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
your wiring is incorrect...

if i have to guess id assume

Red - Brake/Blinker
Green - Parking
Black - Ground
white - Reverse +

that being said, im not sure exactly which one (red or green) will be which, but it will go like this

Brake & Blinker will be one wire

Tail lights will be another

black will be the obvious ground and white will be the + on the reverse light...

now what you will need to do to make these work (this is the easiest way but will leave you without reverse lights) is wire the parking light wire to your parking lights on your truck.

then wire your brake light wire from your truck to the blinker/brake wire on the tails.

then take both ground wires from the Tail light and wire them to the ground wire on your truck.

and finally take the blinker wire from your truck and wire it to the + wire of the reverse light and replace the bulb in the reverse light area with amber.

you will leave the reverse light wire from your truck disconnected unless you have some AUX lights on the back that you want to use as reverse lights

Ok, thanks Daniel. I wanna say that's how I had it wired up myself, but I was running outta daylight while doing it and might have gotten the one mixed up. My original description was wrong on the red wire, you got it right. Just hooked up to 12v the red is brighter that green, thus red is the brake/blinker. I have a Recon Fire and Ice LED tailgate bar that i hooked the reverse to. I thought about putting a single led diode in the reverse are with the blinker (since one diode is small and bright) just to give the effect on a backup light in case anyone is walking behind me while backing. Thanks for the info, gonna give it other try this weekend. Let you know how it goes!!

wedge775

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well no luck. Just tried wiring them up again. No go. When I wire the drivers side up, all everything works but the blinker. With the parking lights off and the blinker on, all the rear lights flash with the blinker. Tail, license, brake, etc etc. Hook both sides up and my front passenger side blinker will not work properly. So I put the OEM's lights back on and now they are doing the same thing. I give up, why couldn't just wired these trucks up like everyone else does.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Well no luck. Just tried wiring them up again. No go. When I wire the drivers side up, all everything works but the blinker. With the parking lights off and the blinker on, all the rear lights flash with the blinker. Tail, license, brake, etc etc. Hook both sides up and my front passenger side blinker will not work properly. So I put the OEM's lights back on and now they are doing the same thing. I give up, why couldn't just wired these trucks up like everyone else does.

sounds like your truck has an internal issue and not the lights, ive never seen that happen before

JonBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 quadcab 1500
Engine
I recently had the same issue. I removed the led panel from my lights (lenses not sealed), I then cut the jumper from the first led panel to the next led panel. The jumpers are wired
With a yellow hot instead of red, which is should be connected to the blinker hot. How you get the connector is another story