Questions for Those Who Have Done Folding Back Seat Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
2018 Big Horn Crew Cab. I think I want to do the folding back seat mod. My research has turned up two ways to go about accomplishing this.

1. Install spacers underneath the seat frame. I've read anywhere from 5/8" to 1" spacers would work. Either a solid bar of MDF (medium density fiberboard) with holes drilled in it for the seat bolts or else a stack of large washers under the seat frame where the bolts attach.

2. Use a hacksaw and cut off approximately 5/8" from the metal hooks on the back of the seat back.

So, which way do you think is the best and why?

Also, if anyone has a good picture of what is on that backseat cabin wall I'd like to see it. I can get a pretty good idea by pausing YouTube videos. For one thing, it looks like there is a molded, textured soundproofing board covering most of the back wall. Looks like a couple of the raised areas on this sound proofing board covers some sort of a vent to outside air. Is that correct?

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Related question.

I'd do the folding rear seat mod to be able to access the back wall in case I install a Kicker Hideaway subwoofer back there. The dimensions of the Kicker Hideway box is 14 1/4" X 9 1/2" X 3 1/4". You people that have done the folding back seat mod, do you think there is enough room on the back wall to mount this subwoofer?

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I went with spacers because I wanted to be able to reverse it if needed. My kids are the only ones who ride back there so losing 3/4" of head room isn't an issue.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I cut the latch hooks because I didn't want to raise the seats nor fool with the seat anchor integrity

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I did a 3/4" seat lift. Made the lift out of 3/4" X 2" aluminum flat bar. Bought 6' and cut them with a zip disc and drilled 5/8" holes. Bench grinder to round edges and painted them black. Stock bolts are M12 1.75 thread 50mm long grade 10.9, which I replaced with M12 1.75 75mm long grade 12.9

IMG_20180507_143105.jpg

IMG_20180507_144840.jpg

IMG_20180507_154529_hdr.jpg

IMG_20180501_125753.jpg

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
2018 Big Horn Crew Cab. I think I want to do the folding back seat mod. My research has turned up two ways to go about accomplishing this.

1. Install spacers underneath the seat frame. I've read anywhere from 5/8" to 1" spacers would work. Either a solid bar of MDF (medium density fiberboard) with holes drilled in it for the seat bolts or else a stack of large washers under the seat frame where the bolts attach.

2. Use a hacksaw and cut off approximately 5/8" from the metal hooks on the back of the seat back.

So, which way do you think is the best and why?

Also, if anyone has a good picture of what is on that backseat cabin wall I'd like to see it. I can get a pretty good idea by pausing YouTube videos. For one thing, it looks like there is a molded, textured soundproofing board covering most of the back wall. Looks like a couple of the raised areas on this sound proofing board covers some sort of a vent to outside air. Is that correct?
There is a 3rd way that many of us have taken: stacking washers on all 4 bolts. There is ample length in the bolts to keep the bench down securely. I went a step further and wrapped said washers in electric tape to make bench removal/installation easier (I took the bench out several times while doing full dynamat in the truck).

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Back wall and the seat bolted in with the spacersIMG_20180508_114508_hdr.jpg

IMG_20180323_144434_hdr.jpg

IMG_20180508_114256_hdr.jpg

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Flat bar cost 40, 12 for the bolts and about another 10 for washers and paint. My whole set up was just over 60cdn and took me 3 hours including paint and removing and installing the seats

mighty noid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hydro Blue 2018 4x2 Sport Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used the method of cutting off some metal and it went great!

Plus I dropped in my NetAudio subwoofer enclosure for my 2) 8" Image Dymanic subs... audio to come soon...

20180701_094555.jpg

20180701_094601.jpg

20180701_111036.jpg

20180701_111055.jpg

20180701_111626.jpg

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
If I decide to cut the hooks I will still need to significantly loosen the nuts holding down the seat bottom to get enough vertical play to be able to unlatch the hooks to be able to tilt the seat back forward. Is this correct?

Or do I have to completely remove the bolts from the seat bottom?

Was hoping I could back the nuts off 3/4" to get enough play to tilt the seat back forward, thus gaining access to cut the hooks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

droopie85gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, you the bolts are at least 1 inch long. You don't have to take them all of the way out. I just loosened all 4 until they were just still in. I got a flat pry bar and when I worked the seat folding up, I pried the rear seat brackets up and it came unhooked.
I only did the driver's side in mine. I used a cut off wheel because it was HOOOT outside and I didn't feel like using a hacksaw for 10 minutes....but make sure you cover up the interior with a towel or blanket and watch where you direct the sparks. I have a couple of tiny tiny black specs now on the center rear seat where my blanket moved on me. You can't really see them, but I am lucky a big chunk didn't fly out and burn a hole in the seat.

SilverRamguy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6
So when you do the spacer or cut the hooks, every time you lift the bottom up the back folds down every time? Correct?
I like to FOLD the seat back down or move it enough to clean the back window.
What has everyone done to be able to clean window?

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
So when you do the spacer or cut the hooks, every time you lift the bottom up the back folds down every time? Correct?

Nope. I did the mod tonight. I didn't use spacers, I cut off the hooks. You must lift the seat bottom, find the sweet spot, which is approximately the highest point of upwards travel for the seat back, and then lift up on the seat back and pull it away from the back wall to unhook it. If you simply lift up the seat bottom the seat back stays hooked in place. You can lift the seat bottom up and down and you'd never know the mod had been done. It moves normally just as it did before the mod.

I'll post pics and do a write up on my procedure tomorrow.

I like to FOLD the seat back down or move it enough to clean the back window.
What has everyone done to be able to clean window?

Previously I would remove the headrests to make cleaning the rear window easier. Now I can simply tilt the seat back down and easily access the whole window. Also makes tucking the fabric loops for the child safety seat behind the seat back very easy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you raise the seat 1" you can fold it forward if the bottom of the seat is up without cutting anything.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
If you raise the seat 1" you can fold it forward if the bottom of the seat is up without cutting anything.

Yes, you can. But this entails putting spacers under the seat bottom bracket, thus permanently raising the seat. Plus it means you have to take the seat completely out of the vehicle. (Not that it's difficult, but still...) With spacers you will be leaving a visual cue that you've altered the seat.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Finally decided to take a hacksaw to my new truck. Yes, it’s the fold-down back seat modification!

I decided to cut off the hooks rather than put in the spacers because I didn’t need to remove the seat and it was probably a faster method. Also, the seat remains the normal height off the floor. Finally, there is no safety compromise by cutting off the hooks that I could see as only about one-third of the hook is being cutoff. When the seat is in its usual position there is still plenty of hook holding the seat to the back wall.

Tools
18mm socket
Socket wrench (longer handle is better)
Tape measure
Hacksaw

You might want or need:
Pry bar
Shop vac

The procedure is:

1. Remove the seat bottom bolts. (I was able to leave one loosened bolt in place and didn’t need to remove the seat from the interior.)
2. Lift up the seat bottom while lifting and jiggling the seat back until you get it unhooked from the back wall. Fold it forward revealing the hooks.
3. Using hacksaw cutoff 5/8” of the hook. File the ends round and smooth.
4. Replace the bolts. Learn how to find the sweet spot and unhook and fold the back seat down.
5. Enjoy newly accessible storage space.

The bolts holding down the back seat bottom are 18mm. Naturally, the basic metric socket set I bought 20 years ago ends at 17mm so I had to go buy an 18mm socket. Wal Mart to the rescue, and it was only $1.48. While there I bought a digital tire pressure gauge.

I have a Big Horn so I’ve got the fold-flat floor with the split back seat. Therefore, there are six bolts to loosen/remove. If you have a rear bench seat you only have four bolts to worry about.

First thing I did was remove the two headrests from the seat back(s). Push in the button at the base of the headrest shaft housing and lift the headrest off the seat. I left the center one in place as it wouldn’t be bothersome.

I had a decent length 3/8” drive socket wrench. Still, the bolts were pretty tight. I’m thinking it would take some muscle to loosen them with the typical 8” long handle on the basic socket wrench. One bolt in the back of each side of the split seat has a seat belt connected to it. Either take a pic or remember the orientation of the seat belt receptacle.

Bolt-Seat-Belt_lores.jpg

I did the smaller driver’s side portion of the split seat first. I tried to loosen all four bolts almost to the point of taking them out but I couldn’t get the back of the seat to come off the hooks holding it to the back wall so I removed three of the four bolts. I used a pry bar to pry the bottom seat bracket upwards. Then I simultaneously lifted the seat bottom and pulled up and forward on the seat back until the hooks came undone from the back wall brackets. I ended up not needing to remove the seat from the vehicle.

Previous descriptions of cutting the hooks suggest cutting off 5/8” which is exactly the point where the metal portion of the clip ends. I went with this advice.

Back-Seat-Clip-Measure_lore.jpg

Cutting the metal portion of the clip with the hacksaw was fairly easy. I put some tape down around my cutting area to catch and prevent metal filings from getting embedded in the upholstery and I had a shop vac handy to vacuum up the particles before they could find a home in my interior.

Hacksaw-on-Clip_lores.jpg

I was careful as I reached the end of my cut not to let the blade crash through the metal and break the plastic tab next to the metal clip. Once the metal part was cut off I used finger and thumb to hold the plastic clip tight against the metal and used the hacksaw to finish off the job by cutting through the plastic. Then I used a file and filed down the metal edges and I also filed down and rounded the plastic portion.

I replaced the bolts. When tightening the bolt(s) with the seat belt attached to it, be careful it doesn’t twist and get seated on the bolt incorrectly. I held onto the seat belt to make sure it didn’t move as I tightened the bolt.

When everything was back in place I gave it a try. It took me a while to find the sweet spot where the seat back can be lifted and pulled forward with ease, but now that I know approximately where that point is it’s pretty easy to fold the seat back forward. And don’t worry, there’s plenty of hook left grabbing the bracket on the back wall of the cabin. The seat back is very secure even though the hooks have been cut off. And you can move the seat bottom up and down just as you could before the back seat mod was done. No one will know you’ve done the mod unless you show them, or they know about it beforehand.

I repeated the same procedure on the other side (larger portion) of the split seat. All told, from the point I first put a socket on the first seat bolt until I was completely done, it took me a little over an hour. But I’m a slow, methodical worker, double checking things, and I took some pictures. I could probably do it again in less than 40 minutes. The longest part of the job is loosening the seat bolts. Takes longer to loosen one bolt than it does to cut through the hook on the back of the seat.

Back-Seat-Folded-lores.jpg

Is there a lot of storage space back there? No, not a lot, but I think enough is there to want to utilize it. There is more down near the floor area. I plan on putting an amp back there. I can also see jumper cables going there, a small tool box, maybe an umbrella, bungee cords, winter hat and gloves (during spring/summer/fall). Some guys put a gun back there. I’d be interested to perhaps block one of the ventilation areas in the winter to see if it helps keeping the cabin warmer. With easy access to this area I can do all these things.

Here's a pic of the material removed. This is from two clips (or hooks) from one seat of the two seats in the split seat setup.

Removed-Clip-Material_lores.jpg

Last edited: