Questions on 2015 Ram 2500 and 3500 towing capacity / specs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheMerchant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
Good morning everybody,

First post here, I'm new to the Ram truck world and was looking to grab some knowledge from those more experienced.

I recently purchased a 2015 Ram EcoDiesel that I've been using for towing a travel trailer. And while I love the truck it just doesn't have enough "oomph" so I'm looking to upgrade for our next season.

When I was looking for a at the specs of the 2500 and 3500 (diesel engine) a quick Google search said they pull between around 11000 - 12000 pounds which I thought sounded realistic.

However, when looking at some articles it said the 2500 could tow 18000 lbs and the 3500 could tow 35000 lbs which seemed extremely high.

To try and confirm I looked at a 2500 towing chart and it had estimates closer to the 18000 mark. So my question is which is numbers are correct and how exactly is this towing rating calculated?

Just for extra info here's the current travel trailer info:

2018 winnebago micro minnie 2106ds
Empty weight: 3780 lbs
Gross weight: 7000 lbs
Current estimated towing weight: 5000 lbs (we aren't boon docking so tanks are always empty in transit)
Truck payload: 700 lbs (2 adults, full tank, and gear in bed)
Tongue weight: 370 pounds (we do use a wdh)

I purchased this truck thinking we'd be towing something even smaller but plans changed and we had to work with what we had but you can see why I want to upgrade. We'll make it the next few weeks but definitely will need to adjust for the next year.

Thanks to anyone who read this far and can help clarify!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just went through looking at the 2500 vs the 3500. I went with the 3500. The towing capacity and payload vary widely between trucks depending on there configuration. If you have a VIN you can look both up here: https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html

My 3500, which is pretty well equipped including sunroof, has a capacity of 3,745 and max towing of 17,345. Most of the 2500's I looked at did not have enough capacity. I wanted the diesel and that lowers the truck capacity. The 2500 or 3500 with gas has about 900 lbs more capacity than the same truck with a diesel.

I'm sure the guys here will jump in and help you decide.

OP
OP
T

TheMerchant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
I just went through looking at the 2500 vs the 3500. I went with the 3500. The towing capacity and payload vary widely between trucks depending on there configuration. If you have a VIN you can look both up here: https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html

My 3500, which is pretty well equipped including sunroof, has a capacity of 3,745 and max towing of 17,345. Most of the 2500's I looked at did not have enough capacity. I wanted the diesel and that lowers the truck capacity. The 2500 or 3500 with gas has about 900 lbs more capacity than the same truck with a diesel.

I'm sure the guys here will jump in and help you decide.

I was looking at diesel cause they are known for longevity. I don't plan on replacing this truck with a newer version so I wanted it to last. Plus we'll be putting a lot of miles on it since we've been going all over the US. On the 2015 spreadsheet it had the diesels towing more but I'm not the most experienced with reading them so I may have misinterpreted

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw0R0IigfV-ywxm5aZshiaRm --> this is the file I was using (it's a PDF so if you click on it you'll get a download notification)

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I have a 2019 Ram 3500 dually with the 6.4L Hemi (Longhorn). Cargo capacity is 6292lbs., and is rated to tow 13,792.06lbs. It has 3.73 gear ratio. If it had 4.10 gears it would be a higher tow rating from what I've learned. That being said, depending on what engine you get (Hemi/Cummins) it will make a difference. Cummins will weigh more reducing your cargo capacity, but probably give you a better tow rating. Trim levels also determine the capacities and ratings. A base line Tradesman will have higher ratings than a decked out Limited because of the added weight/options available.

I thought my tow rating would be higher than it is, but the 3.73 gear ratio limits that. I wouldn't have to worry about pin weight towing a 5th wheel, my limiting factor is how much the truck is rated to pull. I've seen here where some have said that you would lose cargo capacity (pin weight) before you would run out of pulling capability. I think I am the only one here that this would be the opposite of. From what I have been researching, most 5th wheels have a pin weight between 2000-3000lbs., which most trucks run out of cargo capacity with. But the 5th wheels are under the trucks towing capacity...

As of now, I still have my travel trailer. I haven't hooked up to it yet to try towing it, because I don't have the right size shank (need to get a 2.5inch shank for the WDH). I don't think I even notice the travel trailer behind the new truck.

If you get a VIN for the truck you are interested in, you can plug the VIN into the Ram Trucks website to look up your vehicle (it's the bottom of the page) and see what that specific truck is rated at.

OP
OP
T

TheMerchant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
I have a 2019 Ram 3500 dually with the 6.4L Hemi (Longhorn). Cargo capacity is 6292lbs., and is rated to tow 13,792.06lbs. It has 3.73 gear ratio. If it had 4.10 gears it would be a higher tow rating from what I've learned. That being said, depending on what engine you get (Hemi/Cummins) it will make a difference. Cummins will weigh more reducing your cargo capacity, but probably give you a better tow rating. Trim levels also determine the capacities and ratings. A base line Tradesman will have higher ratings than a decked out Limited because of the added weight/options available.

I thought my tow rating would be higher than it is, but the 3.73 gear ratio limits that. I wouldn't have to worry about pin weight towing a 5th wheel, my limiting factor is how much the truck is rated to pull. I've seen here where some have said that you would lose cargo capacity (pin weight) before you would run out of pulling capability. I think I am the only one here that this would be the opposite of. From what I have been researching, most 5th wheels have a pin weight between 2000-3000lbs., which most trucks run out of cargo capacity with. But the 5th wheels are under the trucks towing capacity...

As of now, I still have my travel trailer. I haven't hooked up to it yet to try towing it, because I don't have the right size shank (need to get a 2.5inch shank for the WDH). I don't think I even notice the travel trailer behind the new truck.

If you get a VIN for the truck you are interested in, you can plug the VIN into the Ram Trucks website to look up your vehicle (it's the bottom of the page) and see what that specific truck is rated at.

Currently I feel like I have the same issue where the truck is fine in cargo for what we are doing (currently, that will likely change) but it's pull rating just isn't enough - especially on hills.

I'll see if I can find some VINs though and plug those in.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
You want to look at payload capacity. The max towing referenced is with gooseneck and a properly equipped trucyou need to know your pin weight is or tongue weight. infor pin weight, plan on 20-22% of Grose trailer weight. For tongue weight, plan 10-15% of gross.

Gross weight is dry weight plus cargo capacity.

Realize that a gas motor will pull slot. It will do so at a much higher RPM than the diesel. But it will still be in the operating range of the engine.

Last edited:

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My first comment is that is not that big of a trailer and well under the capacity of any 2500 or 3500 series Ram truck built in the last decade. According to the Ram website for 2020 vehicles the towing capacity of a 2500 ranges from around 17,000-19,000 lbs. depending on options and configurations, and 3500 ranges from 17,000-35,000 lbs. The reason the lowest number for the 3500 is the same as a 2500 is because they are basically the same truck, where you can go up to 35,000 on the 3500 because of the dually option and high output engine.

Even though you definitely don't NEED the Cummins diesel engine to pull that size camper by any means, if you will be putting a lot of miles on it while pulling the camper it would probably be worth it. My biggest reason for suggesting the diesel is simply how effortlessly the Cummins would pull it which makes for a more relaxing drive (IMO) especially in hills and mountains. I've always owned gas trucks because I don't tow often enough to make the added cost of the diesel worth it, but there seemed to be more thought involved pulling heavy with the gasser.......do I let it drop gears and spin at 5,000 rpm all of the way up the hill to maintain speed or slow down, how much speed will it lose on the hill even if I do let it downshift, etc.... As compared to a Cummins pulling a fairly "small" camper you literally just set the cruise control and go.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
OC

OC- your new 3500 dually is beautiful, but I'm shocked it only has the 3.73s. That's got to be one of the reasons it was at the dealer so long. I don't know who would order a gas powered dually with 3.73s evenwith the 8 speed. Just crazy.

OP - I'm suprised your ecodiesel struggles with that trailer. 7k gvwr should not be an issue for it so long as your under GRAWR. Have you weighed it to find out? I know @crash68 tows a heavier trailer with his without issue. @VernDiesel tows new rigs for a living with his. Their trucks may be 8 speeds and I'm not sure if that is what your 2015 is or not. From what I understand the ecodiesel is very capable for what it is.

I'd suggest you talk to those guys before you spend the money on another truck. Good luck.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@GsRAM all the EcoDiesels will have the ZF 8spd behind them, the OPs Gen2 will either have 3.55 or 3.92 gearing.
@TheMerchant not sure if your truck is struggling or your expecting more out of the platform. Which axle ratio do you have? Both Vern and I have 3.92 along with running shorter than 33" tires(20" rim stock size). The optimal top end rpms especially while climbing the steep grades/mountains is about 3K rpms, the closer you get to the 4K puts you out of the torque band for the engine.
Vern regularly tows in the 6K-8K range and I occasionally in the 8K range. It's the utmost importance to watch the GAWR and get the WDH set correctly when towing heavy. Those loads are doubling the weight of the truck and towing isn't a race, getting there on all eight wheels is.

RAM DRVR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
OP, what is your rear end gear ratio? Mine is 3.92 and my ED tows 6-7k pretty well. I am also surprised you may be struggling with that sized TT.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP, what is your rear end gear ratio? Mine is 3.92 and my ED tows 6-7k pretty well. I am also surprised you may be struggling with that sized TT.
The biggest question is different people have vastly different perspectives on what "struggling" to pull a trailer is. I've personally talked to people that say a certain truck "struggled" to pull a load because it downshifted one gear to maintain 65 mph climbing a decent size grade, then somebody else will say their truck has no issues even though the truck downshift 2-3 gears and can only maintain 50 mph on the same grade. The area of the country you normally drive in also makes a big difference, such as driving around the midwest that really has nothing but "big hills" versus running mountain passes out west.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
The biggest question is different people have vastly different perspectives on what "struggling" to pull a trailer is. I've personally talked to people that say a certain truck "struggled" to pull a load because it downshifted one gear to maintain 65 mph climbing a decent size grade, then somebody else will say their truck has no issues even though the truck downshift 2-3 gears and can only maintain 50 mph on the same grade. The area of the country you normally drive in also makes a big difference, such as driving around the midwest that really has nothing but "big hills" versus running mountain passes out west.

I totally agree. I've been camping nearly 40 years and can remember some of the pigs my dad used to tow with, 1969 Ford F100, 1982 Chevy suburban, the 1977 Jeep grand wagoneer with the 402 v8 did ok for what it was. I've towed with some major pooches also, 1987 Ford ranger V6, I could go on.

I never really thought any struggled, well maybe the ranger but I had that way overloaded. I just knew pulling TTs worked em hard is all.

The modern trucks I've owned all pulled like fright trains compared to the trucks of my past. We are living in good times for tow vehicles, that's for sure.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Some thoughts. Often we want to buy something so we look for a way to justify it. And or some confirmation so that we feel better. May not be the case for the OP dunno. Regardless IMO if you can afford it and WANT a different truck no justification is needed.

Another does he have a healthy properly running truck. This may sound funny to a non ED owner but these gen 2s went through a lawsuit because of emissions. Not going to sidetrack Into that. But the EPA / gov flexing it Muscles or CYA whatever forced a detune called the AEM which detuned both the motor & the transmission at least in practice to the end user who needs to work his truck. If his truck has the original tune or an aftermarket tune as many do because they got $3k for doing the AEM. This gave them money to buy an aftermarket tune which is fairly substantially better than even the original tune. Then he should have no trouble with a 5k box TT or even a 7k TT if used sensibly. Sensibly in this case means not trying to tow it at 75 & 80 mph as some do and or even whatever is left lane fast up a grade and or into the wind.

This is because RAM fokked up and put the intercooler in front of the radiator which blocked air flow and helped heat soak the cooling system. Not a problem except in that scenario. The simple Free solution is just to in that scenario limit your towing rpms to 3k so that coolant never gets warm enough for computer to pull fuel. BTW Ram corrected this mistake in the 3rd gen 2020 plus ED.

Myself and a co worker are both Transporters for the TT industry and take TTs from their plants to their dealerships with EDs. Both trucks benefit from having an ECM & transmission tune. Both get great mileage routinely towing 5 to 7k TTs. If we regularly had to do say 9k TTs it would be too much for both the suspension etc and the motor. But 5-6-7k TTs are a comfortable tow unless set up really poorly or forced to tow at excessive speed. They tow to 65 mph very efficiently.

BTW my truck has 712,000 miles. 371k before my first motor lost a head gasket due likely to the leaking EGR cooler an emissions part that made for low coolant. 343k now on my 2nd motor. My co worker has 360k plus on his. So apparently towing these loads daily isn’t over working these motors or transmissions.

Best of luck to OP whatever he tows with. If you have any ED or Ram 1500 specific set up / towing info pm me and I will get back to you as soon as I can which sometimes means when I get home from a run.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The reason the lowest number for the 3500 is the same as a 2500 is because they are basically the same truck, where you can go up to 35,000 on the 3500 because of the dually option and high output engine.

I can add a little to this - there was a change around 2016ish where they changed some things to differentiate the 2500 and 3500. Prior to that they were literally the same truck with the only exception being rear coils (2500) and leaf springs (3500). Some keyboard cowboys argue there are different things on the frame but this was found to only be the way the different suspensions are attached so not really anything structural at all

Not sure it changes anything for the current question but can be helpful information. The easiest way to know if your 2500 is before or after the change is the RAWR on the door sticker. Pre-change is 6500# (and real world more if you upgrade your tires as they are the weak link and the part # for the ear axle is the same as the SRW 3500). Post-change RAWR = 6000# and is a different part number than the rear axle on the 3500 SRW.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I can add a little to this - there was a change around 2016ish where they changed some things to differentiate the 2500 and 3500. Prior to that they were literally the same truck with the only exception being rear coils (2500) and leaf springs (3500). Some keyboard cowboys argue there are different things on the frame but this was found to only be the way the different suspensions are attached so not really anything structural at all

Not sure it changes anything for the current question but can be helpful information. The easiest way to know if your 2500 is before or after the change is the RAWR on the door sticker. Pre-change is 6500# (and real world more if you upgrade your tires as they are the weak link and the part # for the ear axle is the same as the SRW 3500). Post-change RAWR = 6000# and is a different part number than the rear axle on the 3500 SRW.

That is interesting. My understanding is that after 2013 or 2014 when the upgrades were completed on the HDs, the only difference was rear coils vs rear leaf springs. I think I'll go check the door sticker on my 2017 now...

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Ok, so my truck, produced 12/2016 has a 6500 GRAWR, which should be the same rear axle as 3500 SRW.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ok, so my truck, produced 12/2016 has a 6500 GRAWR, which should be the same rear axle as 3500 SRW.

I believe so - maybe someone with a newer 2500 can confirm a 6000# RAWR and we can figure out when it changed.

I got in a debate with someone on here once and he produced part #s showing different rear axles for 2500/3500 but the year range was only on newer trucks (maybe 2017?). I never cared enough to chase down part #s for my 2014 but I believe the rear axle is the same on 2500/3500 SRW.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I believe so - maybe someone with a newer 2500 can confirm a 6000# RAWR and we can figure out when it changed.

I got in a debate with someone on here once and he produced part #s showing different rear axles for 2500/3500 but the year range was only on newer trucks (maybe 2017?). I never cared enough to chase down part #s for my 2014 but I believe the rear axle is the same on 2500/3500 SRW.

It is good info to have, that's for sure. My truck is a 2017 model. I'm surprised that changed with newer trucks (heavier axle in 3500 srw)
If so, more fuel for my fire down the line come trade in time to buy a 3500 srw.

Thanks.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It is good info to have, that's for sure. My truck is a 2017 model. I'm surprised that changed with newer trucks (heavier axle in 3500 srw)
If so, more fuel for my fire down the line come trade in time to buy a 3500 srw.

Thanks.

I just took a quick look at the towing charts from 2014-2019 and it looks like the RAWR on the 2500s bounces around between 6000 & 6500 until 2018. Finally, in 2019 they all go to 6000# (unless you do a box delete in which case you get a few hundred more pounds). Basically, if anyone is shopping and it might matter, check the door sticker as it can be different depending on model, etc.. I suspect the 6500# axles are the same as the SRW 3500 but don't know for sure.