Quieter sounding after hooking up powered sub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yogibear18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an ‘18 1500 CC the 8.4 non alpine 6 speaker radio . I recently installed all new door speakers and installed alpine 6x9 ‘s left the dash one oem until I get some more $$, also I bought 8” alpine powered sub 125w, I tapped in the rear speakers in series for a signal and all door speakers are sounding quieter and without powered sub hooked up louder, I get that I’m putting a load on the rest of the speakers is that my answer why or can I do something else

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Some more info on the components used and how you hooked them up would be helpful. And I hope you mean you hooked it up in parallel and not series....

OP
OP
yogibear18

yogibear18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an Alpine 8” powered sub and I installed alpine SPE6090 6x9 coaxial speakers in all 4 doors. I left OEM dash speakers in place till I get some $$ My head unit is the stock 8.4

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
If you have a LP FILTER dial try adjusting it. It adjusts the frequency for when the sub kicks in. A common setting is 70-80hz

OP
OP
yogibear18

yogibear18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have played with the LPF some going by my ear and slowly turning it till I hear the sub starts kicking in and adjust it a tad bit higher. All the advice that has been given thank you if anyone else wants to chime in please be free to

RobertMcColl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Check your OHM load on your door speakers. The OEM ones run at 2 OHM from what I hear. I upgraded my door speakers and they did sound nicer but not as loud as the OEM. Mine were 4 OHM. Unfortunately it gave me the bug to build a much bigger system. Got $2k worth of gear I am just starting to install now

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Check your OHM load on your door speakers. The OEM ones run at 2 OHM from what I hear. I upgraded my door speakers and they did sound nicer but not as loud as the OEM. Mine were 4 OHM. Unfortunately it gave me the bug to build a much bigger system. Got $2k worth of gear I am just starting to install now

Stock 6 speaker non-Alpine system door speakers are 4 ohms. Here's a pic of one of them. I replaced the front door speakers with Pioneers. I also put in a powered subwoofer. I didn't notice any decrease in volume. Perhaps because the installer used a line out converter (LOC) to connect the rear speaker wiring to the subwoofer.

Speaker-Stock-6X9.jpg

Speakers-Front-Door-6X9.jpg