Quieting Hemi Tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ok, so I am back after a few months (153,500 miles). I thought the oil change helped but I now have ticking and the occasional chirp from inside the engine. tick tick tick chirp tick tick tick tick chirp (I thought a bird was trapped under the engine cover). It made loud ticking last night (almost knocking) and well after warmed up. I don't want to assume lifer/cam yet but signs are leaning that way. About time to take it to Dodge.
Did you read this thread? There is golden information if you want to avoid or kill hemi tick. Also looks up threads in my signature. If you say a simple dealer oil change helped your hemi tick, I think it would be rather simple to kill that hemi tick. But you really should read those 3 threads, redline thread, lubegard biotech thread and this one, and even the oil filter thread. Read the polls as well, then follow whatever strategy you want.

PowersOf12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, and sorry for disappearing. The tick turned into a #8 cylinder misfire this week, check engine light, and loud ticking. Tech at Dodge said, yep lifter / cam lobe. I have done 100% maintenance on-time since new, never missed an oil change, coolant flush, plugs, etc., and almost never idled for more than a few minutes. Most of my miles are highway to/from work. From first minor tick to check engine light in about 4000 miles. Waiting to hear how long they will have the truck under Maxicare Warranty work. Good Luck to all, I had hoped for something minor, but I expected this at some point.

I think the tick was just intermittent at the beginning (right at 150,000 mile oil change) and would go away or quiet down but progressed slowly until the end (154,300 miles). I have read so much and watch so many YouTube videos and it has nothing to do with idling or lack of oil changes. I think it is just low-quality lifters that will eventually wear out.

Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks, and sorry for disappearing. The tick turned into a #8 cylinder misfire this week, check engine light, and loud ticking. Tech at Dodge said, yep lifter / cam lobe. I have done 100% maintenance on-time since new, never missed an oil change, coolant flush, plugs, etc., and almost never idled for more than a few minutes. Most of my miles are highway to/from work. From first minor tick to check engine light in about 4000 miles. Waiting to hear how long they will have the truck under Maxicare Warranty work. Good Luck to all, I had hoped for something minor, but I expected this at some point.

I think the tick was just intermittent at the beginning (right at 150,000 mile oil change) and would go away or quiet down but progressed slowly until the end (154,300 miles). I have read so much and watch so many YouTube videos and it has nothing to do with idling or lack of oil changes. I think it is just low-quality lifters that will eventually wear out.

Sorry to hear that. Just out of curiosity, what was your OCI like (how many miles between changes), and what was your choice of oil?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

The cam and lifters are good as anything made, you can read this guys report. Also, it isnt maintenance schedule but more of lubrication type that can extend the life of these camshafts. The only thing this guy got wrong was for hemi's EP additives are more important the AW additives at protecting these camshafts. If you still have a hemi, look at the hemi tick lubrication threads, like this one.

kmyvgod-jpg.449439

imcvwvj-jpg.449440

PowersOf12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting paper. I will let this thread go since this is a "quieting hemi tick" thread and I just got word from Dodge that the Cam and lifter are both bad. Waiting for further analysis for what all will be replaced under lifetime maxicare warranty. Thanks for all the help.