Quite a bit of smoke on start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrjohnson1969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 common rail
New guy here. I have a 06 2500 just bought a month ago. 4" turbo back muffler delete, 2piece exhaust manifold, banks cold air, banks high ram and banks autotuner. Tuner is set to economy. I get lots of white smoke on start up and once grid heater shuts off, still get a little greyish blue smoke after warming to 180 degrees. Used an Infra red thermometer on each exhaust runner and got these #'s....cyl1-323 degrees...cyl2-337 degrees....3-335 degrees...4-344 degrees....5-314 degrees and 6-251 degrees. I can smell raw fuel from up front after truck is shut off. Is this an indication of faulty #6 injector? Should I continue driving it? No aftermarket fuel mods.

I do not off road or drive it hard. Don't know about previous owners tho. Just did an oil, filter and duel filter change. By suggestion of a friend, added hot shot secret to oil and their fuel additive to tank, 500 miles ago. Valvolive diesel extreme 15w-40 with wix filters. 214000 miles with a good service history according to carfax report.

BWC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
It is cold outside where you live? I would check all of the fuel system connections and make sure everything is tight

OP
OP
J

Jrjohnson1969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 common rail
It is usually cold lol. It has been record setting warm, in upper 50's and upper 60s. But I will check all the connections for tightness as I remove lines for injector removal and testing. Thank you.

Xiphos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Is raw fuel the only smell? Not sweet or any sign of low coolant?

Could be poor diesel quality or water in fuel (which the hot shot secret fuel additive should clear up)

OP
OP
J

Jrjohnson1969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 common rail
Coolant level doesn't drop. No antifreeze smell either. Looks like I am doing injector replacement. 3 injectors failed testing. They still work, but the shop said not for much longer. Very reputable shop in my area. As far as I know, injectors haven't ever been replaced, so 214000 miles I guess it's time.

OP
OP
J

Jrjohnson1969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 common rail
Turns out the injectors had been replaced before. Truck runs like new again. No more smoke after starting or idling. One thing I can say to someone doing an injector job for the first time is, pay close attention to torque specs on connector tube nuts and fuel line nuts! 39 lb/ft for tube nuts, 37 lb/ft fuel line nut to connector tube and 45 lb/ft fuel line to fuel rail nut. If you don't get these correct, you will get dtc's.