R152a refrigerant swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Same with Quarpel water repellant for jackets and other clothing. Worked great and lasted a long time. But it was a "nasty" fluorocarbon so it was phased out and all the new stuff does not work near as well or last as long.
It really doesn't. They don't make a good refrigerant any more.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Good refrigerants are around they are used more in Europe then here R600 and R290,
they work very well and shouldn't be expensive.

OP
OP
D

David Herde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 L6
R12 aside... 350 - 425 lbs pressure on the high side is ok?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
R12 aside... 350 - 425 lbs pressure on the high side is ok?

350-400psi on 1234yf is way on the high side. Unless your baking in +100° heat if the system is 350 at idle I would start looking for cooling fan not working, plugged air flow over the condenser and then start investigating if the system is overcharged, mixed refrigerant or restriction in the high side.
The cooling fan enable of 240 psi is in the upper end of an acceptable pressure range.

OP
OP
D

David Herde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 L6
Thanks for that info... So the spec of engaging at 290 psi is high? I copied it right from the alldata spec. My manual for some reason doesn't mention the transducer circuit. Weird.
Already put a new fan clutch in. (That was early on. Wasn't kicking in when the truck was hot (or when starting up)) Maybe the transducer is bad.

Sure wish I knew of an affordable OBDII / CAN buss reader that could see EVERYTHING and allow me to actuate the components for testing. Anyone have a suggestion? (I don't have a grand to throw at a reader much less $2500.)

Thanks..

OP
OP
D

David Herde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 L6
Just found AlphaOBD thread.
Do you all like this product?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The cooling fan is just a back up means of cooling, that why they bring on the cooling fan near the upper end of the working range.
If you having high pressure, what's the low side pressure doing? Did you weigh in the charge exactly? A couple of extra ounces can make a difference.
Lots of people use AlfaOBD on this forum, most don't realize it has a lot of diagnostics available.

OP
OP
D

David Herde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 L6
I now have the alfaobd set up and I am wondering.

Three questions:
-For a 2007 5.9l (shouldn't make a difference) is there a way to actuate the viscous fan clutch in the alfo OBD program?

-Also is there supposed to be a fan RPM pid that is monitored?

- Also I am seeing a coolant temp monitor entry, but it remains at -40 in alfaobd. In my idata maestro, the guage correctly shows something else (the coolant temp) AM I looking at the Alfa incorrectly?

1plant4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I now have the alfaobd set up and I am wondering.

Three questions:
-For a 2007 5.9l (shouldn't make a difference) is there a way to actuate the viscous fan clutch in the alfo OBD program?

-Also is there supposed to be a fan RPM pid that is monitored?

- Also I am seeing a coolant temp monitor entry, but it remains at -40 in alfaobd. In my idata maestro, the guage correctly shows something else (the coolant temp) AM I looking at the Alfa incorrectly?
I assume you got your a/c fixed. Did the alfaobd help any?

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963