RA-2 Radio with backup camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StormGirl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L V8
Hello everyone! I am the new owner of a 2014 Ram. It has the RA-2 radio, which is compatible with a backup camera, but mine did not come with the camera.
It doesn't appear that there is camera software installed. When I go in reverse there is no blank screen or guide lines, etc.
My question is, can I flash the radio with backup camera software myself? If so, where do I get it? Or do I need to have the dealer flash it?
I planned to buy the camera in the tailgate latch off ebay and have my local mechanic install it.
Thanks for your help!!!!!

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hello everyone! I am the new owner of a 2014 Ram. It has the RA-2 radio, which is compatible with a backup camera, but mine did not come with the camera.
It doesn't appear that there is camera software installed. When I go in reverse there is no blank screen or guide lines, etc.
My question is, can I flash the radio with backup camera software myself? If so, where do I get it? Or do I need to have the dealer flash it?
I planned to buy the camera in the tailgate latch off ebay and have my local mechanic install it.
Thanks for your help!!!!!
This thread should have what you are looking for. Instead of having dealers/mechanics flash sales codes to activate the camera, I'd recommend doing it yourself with an App called AlfaOBD. It can activate the camera in your truck's computer and a whole lot more.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
A guy who has a 2013 Ram Tradesman made a detailed YouTube video on the RA2 & tailgate camera

OP
OP
StormGirl

StormGirl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L V8
I'm at the dealer getting recall work done and asked them about buying the tailgate camera, and they act like I am crazy. They said they have never seen the RA-2 radio used as a monitor for the backup camera, and my VIN says I can only get it in the mirror.
Does this mean my truck mau have come with the RA1 originally? Or do some RA2 cameras not have the camera monitor function? I have had this truck 2 weeks so I have no idea, but voice commands, blue tooth, compass all work fine with the radio.
Either I am confused or the dealer is. I'm not tech savvy enough to know about Alfaobd or how to begin to use it.
I guess maybe this dealer should know what radio was in the truck to begin with, and what software version?

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm at the dealer getting recall work done and asked them about buying the tailgate camera, and they act like I am crazy. They said they have never seen the RA-2 radio used as a monitor for the backup camera, and my VIN says I can only get it in the mirror.
Does this mean my truck mau have come with the RA1 originally? Or do some RA2 cameras not have the camera monitor function? I have had this truck 2 weeks so I have no idea, but voice commands, blue tooth, compass all work fine with the radio.
Either I am confused or the dealer is. I'm not tech savvy enough to know about Alfaobd or how to begin to use it.
I guess maybe this dealer should know what radio was in the truck to begin with, and what software version?
My 2014 Express came from the factory with an RA2 and a backup camera...it'll work just fine.

They can look up the original equipment too.

OP
OP
StormGirl

StormGirl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L V8
They told me they couldn't tell what the original radio was. I did finally convince them to flash it with the XAC code and imagine their surprise when the blue screen came on in reverse! I also now have the camera settings for grids, delay, etc. They were truly shocked! I would have tried that app but I wouldn't know how to use it.
Thank you!!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I knew if it could be done with a 2013 Ram Tradesman
There would be no reason that it would not work on a 2014

Glad that you got it working :)

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
They told me they couldn't tell what the original radio was. I did finally convince them to flash it with the XAC code and imagine their surprise when the blue screen came on in reverse! I also now have the camera settings for grids, delay, etc. They were truly shocked! I would have tried that app but I wouldn't know how to use it.
Thank you!!
I wouldn't be too put off by AlfaOBD if you want to do more factory upgrades, you can save a lot of money. However, if this is the only upgrade you plan to do then having them flash the code was the way to go and you are halfway to having your backup camera.

UnkoBro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's crazy how the dealership so often denies the abilities of mods and upgrades to 4th gen Rams...the incompetence is ridiculous. I bought a 2014 Ram new off the lot, that came with an RA2; originally they wanted to charge me $970 to add the tailgate handle rearview cam. I installed an aftermarket one myself back in 2015 and had the dealership flash my BCM to activate the video for the radio and they wanted to charge me $75 bucks, but since I bought the truck from them, they comped it. I connected the cam wiring to pins 31 and 32 on the radio harness and it was perfect. About 6 months ago I upgraded the radio to a 2018 8.4 UAQ and installed a new aftermarket cam, and its all good. I bought both tailgate cams that I have had off of ebay, and since purchased Alfa OBD over a year ago to do all my own flashes...which would also work for activating the camera on your RA2...I highly recommend getting it for future upgrades!

Attachments

• 20150314_214801.jpg
    20150314_214801.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220325_130203.jpg
    20220325_130203.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 10

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year