RA1 to RA2 need a microphone option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rearview

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm just looking to swap out the RA1 with an RA2 in my '15 Ram. I just want bluetooth, so I need a Microphone option. I tried OEMautopartsco.com and they are having issues with the harness they sell. Any one know of any alternate ideas to hook up a mic to the RA2?

nyciti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
get the review mirror with the mic in it and run the required 4 wires..

toolndie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I kind of have the same question, looking for a microphone option, or the mirror. Will the mirror mount the same as the stock one? and is there a harness you can buy to connect it? I am looking at getting the radio and mirror from the local junk yard, Is there a harness i could just pull out of the truck with the mirror ?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can use the factory mirror that has a microphone and harness for the RA2. The harness for the mirror plugs in on the bottom of the A pillar on the passenger side behind the glove box We just did my friends and it works great. Got the mirror out of a wrecked Ram on e bay for forty dollars. He bought the harness from the dealer for 25 or 30 dollars. I don't remember the part numbers but there are some posts on here with all if the numbers. I will try to check and see if I can remember the numbers. The mirror that comes in an Express with the RA2 is a manual dimming mirror that is the one he used.

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok mirror with microphone part number is.....68102484AA.......upper mirror cover is....1ZA38DX9AA.....lower mirror cover is....1YW11DX9AA......mirror harness is.....68172193AE....the mirror harness is for the Express so I don't think it has illuminated sun visor hookups. but I am not sure.

Last edited:

nyciti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually I'm sorry I forgot been a while so unless you have the mirror with the camera in it you will be fine the wires are already there what you need to do is run the four wires from the plug behind the passenger air vent in the dash to the back of the radio in the respected pins. The mirrors all mount the same and is plug and play.

You will need 8 of these pins and 8 wires 20 gauge and about 50" long I believe. (get a few extra if you don't have the proper crimper)

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=638551-3virtualkey638551-3virtualkey571-638551-3

Sorry don't remember the site for the wiring diagrams hopefully someone will add it so you know what pins you need to plug into on both ends.

ebay is your friend find a complete mirror on there

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rearview

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems a bit complicated. I'm trying to keep it simple. Is there a mic that I can just wire right into the harness and then drill a hole in the bezel and surface mount the mic? Oh and btw its a RAM 1500 Express 2015.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Seems a bit complicated. I'm trying to keep it simple. Is there a mic that I can just wire right into the harness and then drill a hole in the bezel and surface mount the mic? Oh and btw its a RAM 1500 Express 2015.

Check with www.allmoparparts.com
I think they have an option

If you want the audio controls on your steering wheel allmoparparts.com has that kit as well and there is a very good post on here for the how to install the audio cotrols and hands free phone button on your steering wheel ! Hope this helps ...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1434898453928.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1434898453928.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is a harness offered by OEM AUTO , it's pricey but it's made for exactly what you want , to my understanding if you end up with the mirror with back up video capabilities it will work for that application as well , if you decide to install that kit in the future .

View attachment 53032

Check with www.allmoparparts.com
I think they have an option too!
If you want the audio controls on your steering wheel allmoparparts.com has that kit as well and there is a very good post on here for the how to install the audio cotrols and hands free phone button on your steering wheel ! Hope this helps ...
uploadfromtaptalk1434899352655.jpg

Audio controls on the steering wheel. From www.allmoparparts.com

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
If you have the RA1 without the camera you wont have any wires running to the mirror, best bet is to buy the harness from quirk or tasca for 25.00 plus shipping and a mirror off ebay. them its all plug and play. As previous poster said the connector is located behind the passengers side ac vent.

1. Remove both a pillar covers
2. Remove both sun visors and anchor clips
3. Remove existing mirror
4. remove passenger's side dash endcap and airvent
5. lower headliner just enough so you can get access to run the harness by carefully working it out of the rubber door gaskets
6. pug new harness into existing plug behind dash
7. route new harness thru dash up the passengers side a pillar and across the roof to the mirror.
8. the new harness will have Christmas tree anchors, the truck body will have corresponding holes along the route just push them into the holes.
9. the headliner will have a notch wher the mirror plug exits.
10. plug into new mirror and install new mirror and trim pieces.
11. put headliner back into door gaskets, reinstall visors and a pillar covers.

It really is fairly straight forward, just use care and take your time. I wore latex gloves to avoid getting the headliner dirty. It takes maybe an hour or two, and its all pnp. One thing I did was to plug it all together prior to installing just to make sure everything was good. Oh and mine involved removing the existing harness because I have clearance lights, my new harness was for both so I had to replce the one that was there which made it a little bit harder. Still only took about 2 hours and I feel was the best solution.

RLK that oem hands free kit you have there is for my gig radios, 2012 and prior model years, it will not work on 2013 and up trucks.

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^^^^^What he said ^^^^^^^^^^

TwistedJake

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
I upgraded from RA1 to RA2 a few months ago, tried several microphones with no luck until I just spent the money on this one: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DN72KZU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Wired it up into the harness on the passenger side, ran the wires up the pillar and behind the headliner to the driver side, mounted on driver side pillar. Works great. I haven't had anyone complain about call quality.

It would appear that the microphone has to be powered and that is why the cheap two wire ones won't work.

nyciti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
WOW!! for 100 bucks... you can get a used mirror off ebay for half that..

TwistedJake

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
WOW!! for 100 bucks... you can get a used mirror off ebay for half that..

But can you get a used mirror with the BT mics in it and the harness? Don't forget it needs to be the one that mounts on that stupid hex mount or you will need a $50 adapter to mount it in a RAM.

I have an auto dimming mirror with compass and temp. No reason to rip it out just to spend a couple hundred to get an OEM mirror in there when that mic was only $100 and a piece of cake to install. In the scheme of things we are working on $30k-$40k trucks. If $100 makes or brakes things there should be some re-evaluation of budget.

For those who were looking for a pic of the actual mic.

10888891_10203290171174053_2676597411723745532_n.jpg

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's clean and sleek and close where the driver needs it . I like this option if the reception quality is good on the other end . I've been looking everywhere for a used mirror with microphone best price I found was $125 w/o harness

nyciti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Harness? Its 4 wires coming from the mirror to the plug, then 4 wires to the back of radio....16 pins and 8 wires, you can make it for like 10 bucks and 15 mins...

Hey you have the information you need now to make it work, just have to pick the best solution for yourself.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Harness? Its 4 wires coming from the mirror to the plug, then 4 wires to the back of radio....16 pins and 8 wires, you can make it for like 10 bucks and 15 mins...

Hey you have the information you need now to make it work, just have to pick the best solution for yourself.
4 wires from the mirror to (the plug) Q #1 is this( the plug ) the one I seen just laying there unmarked , not covered or terminated under the glove box coming from the direction of the passenger vent and door pillar when I was doing the cabin air filter install ?
Q #2 If that is the plug ... from the plug to the back of the radio , is the back of the radio / or harness plug clearly marked or obvious as to where to install the 4 pins of my home built harness ?

Building a simple harness is not a problem , so long as I can aquire the proper pins or connectors as required .
The drawing posted above looks simular to molex style pins ?
How would I go about aquiring a print /drawing of the audio & Bluetooth system ? Dealer ? Or is there something on line ?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
nyciti disregard most of my previous post , your post #6 above answers most of my Qs ( I truly hate it when people don't read the threads to find info and here I go doing it ) SORRY , still need to find the wiring diagram though

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi