RACK and PINION REPLACEMENT- 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamthisGirl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
Hello...just purchased my 2002, the seller said when they installed the lift kit (years ago) they didn't reconnect the 4WD part so in essence making it a lifted 2WD.

None of which makes any sense and even if did...would still be foreign to me.

In addition the current (2WD) Rack & Pinion snapped and broke the right side bracket so they welded it together and put a metal clamp/strap on it (sounds completely fatal).

I'm so confused, do I buy a 2WD Rack & Pinion since the 4WD is no longer functional or a 4WD Rack & Pinion?

Specs: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD, SLT, 5.9l V8, Short Bed, 4 Door

nick pena

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
Purchase the 4WD rack. Its engineered for the Geometry of the vehicle. You may have loss of drive train control, due to disconnect but overall steering control is needed.

OP
OP
RamthisGirl

RamthisGirl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
Jason G Slabaugh...honestly I have no idea why they disconnected the 4wd. I have spent day & night researching more symptoms, possible reasons & try this fix(s).

Since my last post I am now troubleshooting a No Crank, No Start, No Power, No Nothing, Dead Battery and the only thing I remember is a little red light flashing on the mid dash.

I've tried disconnecting the battery cables & holding them together, reconnecting etc to no avail. Tried jump-starting the battery...nothing.

I'm at a loss, this my first truck & I am a total girl when it comes to this stuff but I'm gonna learn, know this!!

Thank you for your input.

OP
OP
RamthisGirl

RamthisGirl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
nick pena....ordered my 4wd rack and pinion today. Thank you for your input.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would be real curious what the disconnected. Likely they removed the front drive shaft because it had a vibration they were unwilling to resolve.

Are you familiar enough with what's under there to tell? Maybe take a picture of the bottom of the truck, looking up from driver's door area.

OP
OP
RamthisGirl

RamthisGirl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
I would be real curious what the disconnected. Likely they removed the front drive shaft because it had a vibration they were unwilling to resolve.

Are you familiar enough with what's under there to tell? Maybe take a picture of the bottom of the truck, looking up from driver's door area.

Not familiar by any means but I will take a pic(s) like you said and post them.

All I was told was they took out the 4wd when they installed the FabTech lift...years ago.

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Taking out the 4wd.... I know guys that have removed their front CV axles. Like what was mentioned, removing the front driveshaft does as well. The no crank, no power, no nothing. You said you disconnected the battery cables. Are they corroded at all? You try cleaning them? I wonder what the difference is between the 2wd and 4wd rack and pinion. Looking at them side by side on rockauto. They look the same. If it where me, I would also put a new high pressure line on for the rack. Make sure you flush the old fluid out from the Power steering pump, before hooking up the High pressure side and return line. I'm sure there is a DIY thread on here that can walk you through the flushing process. Or you can just YouTube it. Good luck