Rack and Pinion seals replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
OK first let me start by saying I might have taken on a bit more than I thought I could chew... :crazy:

I had a rack and pinion I had found for free to replace my leaking one on my truck.
After inspection it seemed in very good condition, but I found it had started to leak a little.

Since it was on my workbench waiting, I figured I would give a shot at replacing the seals on the main shaft. I figured 2 seals can't be that hard to replace right? Plus a replacement seal kit is available on the cheap from the auto parts stores.

Well taking the R&P apart isn't that complicated and getting the passenger side seal is also very easy. (thank's to a few Youtube videos on the topic, but not specific to the Dodge RAM R&P)

However...

The driver side seal is far inside and after trying a few tricks I had up my sleeve, it won't budge. Has anyone ever done this seal replacement and can somehow help with a trick of the trade on getting this seal out of there.

Maybe another question that may help me out: The R&P is made of the main housing that is cast aluminium, and the pressure sleeve that is made of steel. Are they screwed together or are they press fitted?

I'm thinking the 2 parts need to be separated to remove the inner seal but I don't want to damage the unit by trying to unscrew 2 press fitted parts.

Worst case scenario it will have cost the 35$ the seal kit was worth to learn I can't do it on my own, but if someone can chime in and help me out it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
xb1230

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Here is where I was able to get without difficulty.

picture.php

The seal I need to remove sits about at the junction of the rusted and aluminium part.

Here is what I can see looking down the tube from the rusted (or passenger) side of the housing:
picture.php

Here is the seal kit I have received:
picture.php

I will not be using anything above the orange O-Ring as I will not be touching the pinion assembly which did not leak. Also this is a TRW unit possibly of a different year and the lower pinion seal is not of the same size as the one on there so I cannot change it.

As you can see in the following picture, the main shaft and Pinion are in pristine condition, and the boots (not shown) aren't dried up stiff or cracked, so if I can get to that seal it will have been well worth the effort in saving this Rack:
picture.php

I have searched extensively to find any information on the R & P and have come up with nothing but complete assembly replacement information. Torque info would also be nice, especially if there is pre-load on the pinion retaining bolt. The positive side of this story is that it is not the rack that was on the truck, so I am not stuck without a vehicle at the moment.

Last edited:

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Slide hammer with a seal puller on it should get it out. I haven't done a steering rack yet, but that seems like the type of job it was designed for.

toyv84x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saw this post a few years back. I was worried that no one knew how to change all the seals in the rack? I added that lucas sealing liquid and it has lasted a few years!!! but now the leak is back and worse and I need to change the seals. Is it worth it? I m going to try anyway as I have the seal kit for $18. Is there a write up anywhere on changing all the seals as I can't find one? How hard is it to do?

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine is leaking on the drivers side, I ordered a new rack and tie rod ends for about $140 that are sitting in the garage, just haven't felt like messing with it. I don't drive the truck much, so I just add an ounce or 2 whenever it needs it. I figured it'd be easier to swap the whole setup than deal with tearing it apart. I do that stuff at work and don't want to do any more than necessary on my free time.