Rack and Pinon Replacement Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iadams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was able to pull out the leaking rack and pinon within a couple hours. Very straightforward. The only part that I struggled with was disconnecting the steering column shaft to the top of the rack and pinon. I used a prybar and the frame to push the top of the R&P down. Some pressure and a couple knocks got it to separate.

However.... now I can not get the new R&P installed. The steering shaft seems to be too long. If i bolt the R&P to the frame then the steering shaft is too long and I cannot get it to slide over the top of the R&P. If I put the shaft over the top of the R&P then it does not sit flush against the frame so that I can bolt it in.

I'm afraid the steering shaft was pulled down somewhere. Has anyone replaced one of these or been through this before? Or anyone have a suggestion where it could have slipped?

Thanks for any help.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I was able to pull out the leaking rack and pinon within a couple hours. Very straightforward. The only part that I struggled with was disconnecting the steering column shaft to the top of the rack and pinon. I used a prybar and the frame to push the top of the R&P down. Some pressure and a couple knocks got it to separate.

However.... now I can not get the new R&P installed. The steering shaft seems to be too long. If i bolt the R&P to the frame then the steering shaft is too long and I cannot get it to slide over the top of the R&P. If I put the shaft over the top of the R&P then it does not sit flush against the frame so that I can bolt it in.

I'm afraid the steering shaft was pulled down somewhere. Has anyone replaced one of these or been through this before? Or anyone have a suggestion where it could have slipped?

Thanks for any help.

The steering shaft is a 2 pc unit. Use some wd40 or equivalent(I call it slick em juice)to free the shaft so it will slide enough to give the space needed for reinstall. It’s a very common thing because dirt n grime get in there. On some years there was a set screw that held the 2 pieces together. It may be located closer to the firewall and column.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wonder if the coupler slid down. I would loosen the set screw and push it up if you can. The coupler joint does wear out. I just replaced mine and the steering is tight.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
OP have you made any headway on the rack n pinion? Just curious if you had gotten it finished

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

OP
OP
I

iadams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, I finished it up last night. Took about 15 mins with the help of another guy. I took a soft wood and placed it against the u-joint frame in the steering shaft. A few knocks moved the shaft up enough that I was able to easily slide it over the rack and pinon. I would suggest bolting the R&P to the frame and then adjusting the shaft. It didn't happen to me, but I could see someone retracting the shaft too much then it not being long enough - which would just be salt in a wound.

Overall, the whole job took 8 hours: 2 hr of unbolting everything, 30 mins of pulling it out and draining it, 3 hours of wasted time, 2 hours reinstalling and filling it up, 30 mins of cleaning up. I hope I save someone else the wasted time part. Very straight forward job on our trucks.
Having a second helper as a go-fer and support while moving the R&P in and out is key.

Happy wrenching and thanks for the help,

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holy crap, 8 hours! Anyone know what the regular "shop time" and "book time" rates are for this job? All jokes aside, I found your experience very helpful and mentally prepares me for the same task I will have in the future. Damn... Not looking forward to it.

Overall, the whole job took 8 hours: 2 hr of unbolting everything, 30 mins of pulling it out and draining it, 3 hours of wasted time, 2 hours reinstalling and filling it up, 30 mins of cleaning up. I hope I save someone else the wasted time part. Very straight forward job on our trucks.
Having a second helper as a go-fer and support while moving the R&P in and out is key.

Happy wrenching and thanks for the help,

Jason G Slabaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Usually 4-5 hours but depending on experience, tools and wether it's on a lift or on the ground. At a shop i used to work at, I could do them in a few hours with air tools and a lift ;)

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
A shop quoted my son inlaw $750 on his 04 ram 1500.

Skeeter308

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Just did mine on my 02 1500 4WD 5.9L. Did that while also doing upper and lower control arms.

The R&P was far easier than imagined. Maybe 3.5 total for that. Maybe

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Just did mine on my 02 1500 4WD 5.9L. Did that while also doing upper and lower control arms.

The R&P was far easier than imagined. Maybe 3.5 total for that. Maybe
That's also when I did mine on my old '03. Did not take too long, had it all jacked up and tools out so that saves some time from just doing the R&P alone.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did mine in a hour>>>>>>>>>>>>>only kidding sounds like you busted your rear end on this one but, think of all the money you saved to spend on other things. That should put a smile back on your face.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45