RADIATOR FAN IS LOUD AFTER FAN CLUTCH REPLACEMENT.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
All the time? No. After engagement? Yes.

If your old viscous clutch was worn, it would not be as loud, nor rotating as fast, after engagement.

Fan blade tip speed is what causes fan noise.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OEM or aftermarket fan clutch? I've never seen an aftermarket fan clutch operate as quietly as the stock one, they always roar.

OP
OP
Connie Mack

Connie Mack

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
i called a dodge dealer part depart, an the fan clutch for my truck was $638.00. What? i did have my old clutch replaced but now sounds like a school bus. read somewhere you can spray wd-40 down there an it will loosen up. is that true.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I definitely would not spray any type of oil in it. Like HEMIMANN said, if your old one wasn't working you probably didn't hear it and you noticed your new one because it's probably working right. The hotter the weather the more often you will hear it especially taking off from a dead stop until it catches up or releases with engine RPM's.

Last edited:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Is the radiator fan suppose to be real loud after fan clutch replacement?
It will be loud when you first start out driving but should quiet down after a few minutes unless it's really hot out.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It may be 'louder' because it's actually working ...where your old one may not have been moving enough air ...assuming your old one was slipping. Kind of like the bathroom fan I just changed sounds a lot different that the worn-out one I just replaced (just got used to the old 'slow' fan for the last couple yrs! lol).

OR, if it doesn't quiet down after a while, its possible the new one could be bad out of the box ...and not going into 'freewheel' mode like it should after a few minutes. Like others said, give it a few days and see how it acts.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Typical failure mode for these viscous coupling fan clutches is they roar all the time or most of the time (they stay engaged). If the replacement is roaring/engaged when not needed, the replacement is bad.

That $638 dealer price for the fan clutch assembly is more than twice what the actual cost is. You can mail-order and OEM replacement for about $250 all in. Aftermarkets can be had for under $40.

That's frikkin insane if they charged someone $638, plus ~$150/hr for labor. ~$800 bill for 5min worth of work and a shiddy part.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That's frikkin insane if they charged someone $638, plus ~$150/hr for labor. ~$800 bill for 5min worth of work and a shiddy part.
That's how they pay for that enormous building and beautiful landscaping.

OP
OP
Connie Mack

Connie Mack

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
PoMansRam; that was a Dodge dealer in (Dickenson Texas). i traded a mount for the job using my regular mechanic. . He likes to hunt, an i mount animals, we both were happy. yep, i saw fan clutches for $100, but most of them are from Korea. when you look at the back of the radiator in the 03 diesel, its really tight in there. you also have to replace about 1 gallon antifreeze.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
PoMansRam; that was a Dodge dealer in (Dickenson Texas). i traded a mount for the job using my regular mechanic. . He likes to hunt, an i mount animals, we both were happy. yep, i saw fan clutches for $100, but most of them are from Korea. when you look at the back of the radiator in the 03 diesel, its really tight in there. you also have to replace about 1 gallon antifreeze.

Sorry man! I didn't know this was in regards to a 2003 diesel. That's a different animal indeed.