Radiator question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SamTheDitchDoctor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 1990
Engine
6.7 Cummins / Allison & 5.9 / NV4500
I've got a 90 first gen diesel that started its life as a shortened military airport tug. 5.9 diesel.

My radiator has been horribly neglected. Corrosion from hell. The truck is overheating and half the radiator is cold. It's got the brass tanked vertical 2 core radiator with the intake and return both on the passenger side. I've looked at dozens of new radiators and most have the intake on the driver's side. I've found one that's got the intake and return where they are supposed to be for mine. I'm debating about taking it out and taking it to a radiator shop and having it decapped and Rodded out. Not sure if I should do this or just replace it with a nice aluminum one but again can't find anything with the intake and return on the passenger side together.

Anyone else run in to this?

Worth fixing instead of replacing?

I replaced the thermostat today and filled with flush / descaling and distilled water but I think this thing is too far gone even for that. Tons of corrosion in the cores. And that's just what I can see. As I was saying the fill gets so hot you can't touch it but you can move your hand down a few inches and it's cold as ice. I'd say water is moving through about 1/10th of the radiator.

Suggestions? Also anyone else have this same side setup?

Thanks

Link to the only radiator I found that looks like the right one...

Spectra Premium CU1079 Complete Radiator https://a.co/d/i6aHzCm

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Just have a radiator shop re-core the radiator you have.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Take it to a Radiator / Air Conditioning Shop

Leave the truck at home if you can

Ask the Radiator shop what they would do with it

They could remove the tanks, boil everything in chemicals
use Air or Water Pressure for a quick check
Then if it seems solid, they can Rod the Tubes out
Then put it back in the chemical tank & run water & air through it to check for leaks.
If it is Ok or repairable they seal the leaks, recheck it & paint it

Or, they just replace the Core & put the tanks back on it

Even if they deem it unrepairable, they can order a brand new Radiator for less then an Auto Parts Store can sell it for

OP
OP
SamTheDitchDoctor

SamTheDitchDoctor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 1990
Engine
Yeah I’m familiar with the rodding / cleaning / replacing the core process, it just seems it’s as expensive as just replacing it these days. I also found it odd they so many radiators that called correct fit we’re wrong. I’ll yank it out tomorrow and take it to a shop and see what they say…

Edit: I own a small business with a ambulance fleet so I get jobber on parts… I prefer to stick with brass or get a nice solid aluminum. I don’t want any nylon cap garbage. I’ve had my fill of those..,

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
They would likely sell you one already done, for about the price. I'd also go with Aluminum.

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
Yeah I’m familiar with the rodding / cleaning / replacing the core process, it just seems it’s as expensive as just replacing it these days. I also found it odd they so many radiators that called correct fit we’re wrong.

Labour and having a heated acid vat on standby cost $$$.

The jobber parts listings for 88-93 dodges are universally flawed... It's rads, belts, hoses, brakes, axle parts - possibly more. Somebody must have dropped the carefully sorted box of microfiches back in the day.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
This is the shop that i use mostly, usually you would see steam rising out of the building

1666986181900.png

OP
OP
SamTheDitchDoctor

SamTheDitchDoctor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 1990
Engine
I talked to a local shop today. When I gave him a good description of what's wrong with it he quoted me $175-225 to rod it out or replace the core and they'd have it done in a day or two.

So I'm going to yank it out and run it up there Monday.

The replacement I found - the only one that was right is just under $300 shipped. So
I'm saving a little bit and supporting local small business which I prefer to do anyway.

Thanks guys. I'll post some before & after pics when I get it back.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
When you are putting everything back together, might want to consider some RMI-25 to help clean all the gunk out of your engine.
if its in teh radiator, doubt that engine is pristine.

OP
OP
SamTheDitchDoctor

SamTheDitchDoctor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 1990
Engine
When you are putting everything back together, might want to consider some RMI-25 to help clean all the gunk out of your engine.
if its in teh radiator, doubt that engine is pristine.
Is it an additive or a flush? I'm running some cleaner / flush & distilled water in it now. The thermostat housing wasn't pretty when I changed the thermostat...

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Not a scientist. my understanding?
Essentially it stablises todays Eco-friendly Coolants so they do not lose the very properties that make them effiecient, propeties which, once lost, turn your radiator and cooling system into a gunky mess of yellowish/Brown Goo.

When I had the raidator fail on my 1996 Grand Caravan, then my 1999 2500, I started researchng why my coolant rsevior and the radiators I tore apart, had so much of this crude on the inside. Lots of options claimed to help reduce it, remove, it, etc. Some where said by end users to be harmful, some were said to be snake oil. this product I coudl not find very much negativeitvty about it.

Started using it and never had another issue but, far more importantly, i never again saw anything in my coolant resevior.
I truly think they reason coolant resviors are mostly hidden, in alot of vehciles is becasue this Ecofriendly crap is junk, they know it so they hide until the warranty expires, then they no longer care.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Is it an additive or a flush? I'm running some cleaner / flush & distilled water in it now. The thermostat housing wasn't pretty when I changed the thermostat...

Additive.

Supposed to prevent teh Eco-friendly coolant from breaking down, losing certain properties and last longer. Also suppossed to prevent that yellowish brown gunk buildup caused by todays coolant.
had 2 radiators fail on me, 1996 Caravan, 199 2500 v-10. started researching why and how to prevent it and came across this product, from sources that I had learned to trust. Kind of like this site.

Started using it and never again saw anything inside my coolant reservoir.
I truly think manufacturers hide the reservoir because they know this ecofriendly coolant causes problems and don't want anyone to see the discoloration & gunk accumulatigo inside the reservoir.

1985 W350

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have done some custom diesel radiators -- one source for parts is Thermal Solutions Mfg, but it gets a little tricky "welding" dissimilar metals -- like putting steel OEM frames on alum radiators. Their catalog (I use "showmethepartsdb") is quite informative with dimensions, inlet/outlet info etc -- often times you can find a similar radiator that will work.