radio sounds like crap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigbluecrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
so I just recently purchased a 2020 ram 2500 HD midnight edition Big Horn with the 8.4 radio by the way it’s not the Alpine or the Harman Cardin I traded in my 2011 and I have to say my basic 2011 ram had a better sounding stereo than the one that is in my 2020 as I’m listening to music and I like to listen to my music loud the volume goes in and out not completely but it’s almost like somebody is turning the knob back-and-forth I’ve taken it to the dealer they claim there’s nothing wrong there is a TSB about sound issues for the noise canceling but they claim it’s only for the 1500s and has nothing to do with the 2500s very frustrating that an almost $60,000 vehicle has a horrible sounding radio and even when it’s turned all the way up it’s not very loud whatsoever is there anybody out there experienced this issue or can tell me what to do to fix it again happy with the truck overall but the stereo system has me very upset

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
You try disabling the speed sensitive volume control to see if that helps? I have the basic system that comes in the tradesman and it sounds pretty darn good. But definitely a subjective thing.

OP
OP
bigbluecrew

bigbluecrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That was the first thing I did the day I bought it. Like I said I had an 11 with the old school green screen #s and it sounded WAY better and louder.

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have the tradesman and am severely disappointed with the sound quality. I'm a mid level audiophile but my 3 year old Prius kicks ass in stereo sound quality over the 2019 ram.

I find usb helps over other inputs but I'll be saving for a mild overhaul in the future.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have the tradesman and am severely disappointed with the sound quality. I'm a mid level audiophile but my 3 year old Prius kicks ass in stereo sound quality over the 2019 ram.

I find usb helps over other inputs but I'll be saving for a mild overhaul in the future.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
RamCares

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
so I just recently purchased a 2020 ram 2500 HD midnight edition Big Horn with the 8.4 radio by the way it’s not the Alpine or the Harman Cardin I traded in my 2011 and I have to say my basic 2011 ram had a better sounding stereo than the one that is in my 2020 as I’m listening to music and I like to listen to my music loud the volume goes in and out not completely but it’s almost like somebody is turning the knob back-and-forth I’ve taken it to the dealer they claim there’s nothing wrong there is a TSB about sound issues for the noise canceling but they claim it’s only for the 1500s and has nothing to do with the 2500s very frustrating that an almost $60,000 vehicle has a horrible sounding radio and even when it’s turned all the way up it’s not very loud whatsoever is there anybody out there experienced this issue or can tell me what to do to fix it again happy with the truck overall but the stereo system has me very upset

We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
RamCares

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
RamCares

Really appreciate the response. I figured there wouldn't be much they would or could do. Just figured I came from aftermarket parts in my last truck and different standards in my Toyota daily driver. Do you recommend an action?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Really appreciate the response. I figured there wouldn't be much they would or could do. Just figured I came from aftermarket parts in my last truck and different standards in my Toyota daily driver. Do you recommend an action?

I would recommend getting your radio properly diagnosed by a dealership.

Alison
RamCares

OP
OP
bigbluecrew

bigbluecrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
well the selling dealer didn’t want anything to do with diagnosing the radio their claim was they couldn’t diagnose anything on the radio over 20 on the volume so I ended up taking it to another dealer had a manager listen to it and said it’s absolutely not right at this point they are ordering a new radio but nobody including the technician is holding there breath that they are going to fix it.From what they were talking about the thinking is it has something to do with those stupid microphones that are up inside the headliner and if that’s the case that means I bought a $56,000 pick up truck that has the sound system of a 77 pinto I’m really hoping that the new radio fixes it

John KIOhio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well the selling dealer didn’t want anything to do with diagnosing the radio their claim was they couldn’t diagnose anything on the radio over 20 on the volume so I ended up taking it to another dealer had a manager listen to it and said it’s absolutely not right at this point they are ordering a new radio but nobody including the technician is holding there breath that they are going to fix it.From what they were talking about the thinking is it has something to do with those stupid microphones that are up inside the headliner and if that’s the case that means I bought a $56,000 pick up truck that has the sound system of a 77 pinto I’m really hoping that the new radio fixes it
I had a 2014 3500 Crew Cab equipped with that "same" radio. I put new speakers in the rear doors and made all the difference in the world. It is easy to do, door panels come off easy. My 16 had the 9 speaker Alpine and I ordered this truck with it. I love it.

OP
OP
bigbluecrew

bigbluecrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I appreciate the comments on the after market speakers but my whole thing is that why should I have to put different speakers in a brand new truck to get the radio sound good. Again not bragging but to spend $56,000 on a brand new truck and then have to spend any money whatsoever to upgrade the sound system is insanity to me.

John KIOhio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I appreciate the comments on the after market speakers but my whole thing is that why should I have to put different speakers in a brand new truck to get the radio sound good. Again not bragging but to spend $56,000 on a brand new truck and then have to spend any money whatsoever to upgrade the sound system is insanity to me.
I get your point! I was just letting you know what I had to do to be happy with the radio. Just a thought.

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We had the Alpine System with Subwoofer in our 2011 Ram Bighorn 4x4 and that system absolutely, 100%, without a doubt, SUCKED TO THE MAX!............The factory U-Connect system we have now in our 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn 4x4, blows that worthless Alputz system out of the water!

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
that means I bought a $56,000 pick up truck that has the sound system of a 77 pinto I’m really hoping that the new radio fixes it

As soon as I saw the Pinto comment I damn near spit out my cigar!....LOL.......PLEASE keep us informed on the situation and its outcome, for others may be experiencing the same issue.

OP
OP
bigbluecrew

bigbluecrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just fyi i did a fade check front to back made no difference so i’m not sure how new rear speakers would change the issue