Radio stays on after car is turned off and driver door is opened

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a 17 1500 Limited about week ago and noticed that my radio was/is staying on for about 30 secs after I exit the vehicle and lock the doors. Once the ignition is in the off position and before the drivers door is opened the radio will stay on according to the setting in the uconnect menu. Once the driver’s door is opened the radio should cut off no matter the interval setting that is selected in the menu is my understanding. This is how it’s worked in every vehicle I’ve owned, including one previous dodge with a uconnect radio.

The dealer said that there is a software update but they don’t suggest updating it because it’s been killing radios and the radios are back ordered about 3.5 months. Is this a major issue - no. But it is a very odd and noticeable issue that I’d like to be corrected.

Is anyone else having this issue? Has anyone resolved it? I’ve reset the radio and restored factory defaults but neither had an effect.

View attachment 177465

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just like any computer reboot. Disconnect the battery for a while and see if it doesn't fix it. Every problem I've had adding things to my Ram a reboot seems to solve any problems I've had so far.

OP
OP
ListenOverSpeakin
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll give disconnecting the battery a try when I get it back.

Thanks

OP
OP
ListenOverSpeakin
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This problem just continues to come back. I see others have had this issue in the past but no one posted if they resolved the issue. Is everyone affected just living with this problem?

Last edited:

phantomfixer

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is happening because you have an update to your radio and you have not updated it.This happened to me also_Once I updated everything came back to normal

OP
OP
ListenOverSpeakin
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is happening because you have an update to your radio and you have not updated it.This happened to me also_Once I updated everything came back to normal

I’ll try to check for an update. I haven’t gotten a notification yet. In my Durango I was notified of on my radio.

Thanks for the feedback.

OP
OP
ListenOverSpeakin
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6b786ab40da33dcbb95aefabb8a43ecf.jpg1aafa036b9902c8e9ae04ffb064a663b.jpg

The uconnect website says I have an update available but it appears to be a version that’s older that what I currently have. Pretty sure the head unit will not update to an older version. Guess I’m stuck with this.

It’s such a primitive problem to have with today’s technology. The dealer suggested not doing the update out of fear of bricking an otherwise working radio with no replacement readily available. Just don’t understand how a radio that’s been in production this long still has issues.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
18.09.01 seems like a version that we havent seen before.

The latest OTA was 18.11.07 and now might be 18.43.01 but I dont think Ive ever seen 18.09.01.

OP
OP
ListenOverSpeakin
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
18.09.01 seems like a version that we havent seen before.

The latest OTA was 18.11.07 and now might be 18.43.01 but I dont think Ive ever seen 18.09.01.

How would I go about updating to the latest version of the unconnect website doesn’t make it available to me; other than going to the dealer?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How would I go about updating to the latest version of the unconnect website doesn’t make it available to me; other than going to the dealer?

If you are looking for the 18.x version, AFAIK currently it is Over The Air only. After chatting with a few people, it looks like if you have swapped your head unit to something that didnt come with the truck, you may never get an OTA update.

I have also been told the 18.x update will become available "soon" as a download. Until that happens, a dealer can only tell you to wait for it over the air...Im not sure even the dealer can force the OTA.

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had this same problem on my '16 Rebel, until I did the update. After the update, my SW is 17.43.01, which is the same version it already was, so I have no idea if the update stuck or not, but everything is normal.

OP
OP
ListenOverSpeakin
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are looking for the 18.x version, AFAIK currently it is Over The Air only. After chatting with a few people, it looks like if you have swapped your head unit to something that didnt come with the truck, you may never get an OTA update.

I have also been told the 18.x update will become available "soon" as a download. Until that happens, a dealer can only tell you to wait for it over the air...Im not sure even the dealer can force the OTA.

I haven’t swapped the radio but the truck is used, so it’s possible. Prior use says it was a leased vehicle if I remember. That would lean me to think that the prev owner wouldn’t go out on his own to swap the radio, but perhaps a dealer may have replaced it for whatever reason.

Given the trim level, 17 Limited, the radio should’ve came stock, so no need for an upgrade. But oh well, there’s always something.

Thank you for the feedback

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah probably not swapped. But FWIW on the radio that came with my truck (purchased brand new, listed on build sheet so it was definitely the correct radio), I never once got a prompt for an OTA update but my head unit was never updated to 17.43.01

I then swapped my RA3 (non-nav) for an RA4 (factory nav), and THAT unit was not updated to 17.43.01 either, until I installed it manually (since you can download 17.43.01 from the uconnect site)

Now that 18.x is in the wild and potentially required to keep nav working, Im hoping that 18.x becomes downloadable too since it looks like I will never get it OTA. There is a thread on the forum about this update, because it will affect a lot of people (the list of affected vehicles is very long)

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Had a similar issue once on the uconnect 5.0 radio, and it was the Bluetooth from my phone keeping it on. Try turning Bluetooth off if you have it paired and see if that allows the radio to turn off.

OP
OP
ListenOverSpeakin
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had a similar issue once on the uconnect 5.0 radio, and it was the Bluetooth from my phone keeping it on. Try turning Bluetooth off if you have it paired and see if that allows the radio to turn off.

I’ve read about this solution on another thread but it had no effect for me.

OP
OP
ListenOverSpeakin
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Issue resolved with sw update to version 18.45.01.

Troutman561

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine did the update and has been doing this ever since the update. Never did it prior to that.

Hugh B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same issue, the radio updated 2 days ago, now the radio stays on after I exit the vehicle, I am not a fan of walking away from my truck while the radio is still playing. I stood outside the vehicle listing it take almost a minute for it to turn off after exiting the vehicle, it should turn off when the key is out of the ignition and I open the door like it used to before this damn update.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would try pulling the fuse for the radio for 20 minutes or so.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Our '17 Grand Cherokee Limited recently started doing this. It seems to be a common problem on the Jeeps as well. No one had a definite cure. I initially tried removing the fuses for the radio. This did nothing. Next, I removed both negative battery cables for several minutes. This worked for awhile, but then radio immediately turned off the minute you turned the engine off (even thought the setting is set to 5 or 10 min). I did receive an email about an update awhile back. I'll look into that, but definitely don't want a bricked 8.4" display. The Auto Start/Stop recently stopped working as well -- which we are glad for.