UPDATE: Radio Upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I posted this on reddit, too, but I didn't know the best place to get some feedback. So, my apologies if you see this twice!

So, I am the proud (and new to the brand) owner of a 2018 Ram 1500. Just bought it last week (too delivery on Wednesday), and I'm loving it so far. My one complaint was the lack of Apple CarPlay functionality. Obviously, not a deal-breaker, because I know I can install something aftermarket, but disappointing nonetheless because I made the erroneous assumption that most 2018+ Rams had it. So I know that's on me. The 5" touchscreen radio (I think the UA1) is serviceable for the time being. I was surprised when I contacted Ram that there is no way to order one through them (with CarPlay) and have the service department install it.

The point of my post was to get some opinions on a replacement. I'm not very knowledgeable in the audio upgrade / aftermarket scene, and I was looking for some feedback. I drive a lot, so having maps/directions display would be great and since I'm an Apple customer I figured CarPlay would scratch that itch (and help with talking calls, etc). What are some good options for a replacement for that size unit? Or would it be better to just leave it as-is (I already do get a good bit of functionality from the Bluetooth connection to my phone) and use my phone when I need a map? Opinions/feedback would be appreciated!

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I posted this on reddit, too, but I didn't know the best place to get some feedback. So, my apologies if you see this twice!

So, I am the proud (and new to the brand) owner of a 2018 Ram 1500. Just bought it last week (too delivery on Wednesday), and I'm loving it so far. My one complaint was the lack of Apple CarPlay functionality. Obviously, not a deal-breaker, because I know I can install something aftermarket, but disappointing nonetheless because I made the erroneous assumption that most 2018+ Rams had it. So I know that's on me. The 5" touchscreen radio (I think the UA1) is serviceable for the time being. I was surprised when I contacted Ram that there is no way to order one through them (with CarPlay) and have the service department install it.

The point of my post was to get some opinions on a replacement. I'm not very knowledgeable in the audio upgrade / aftermarket scene, and I was looking for some feedback. I drive a lot, so having maps/directions display would be great and since I'm an Apple customer I figured CarPlay would scratch that itch (and help with talking calls, etc). What are some good options for a replacement for that size unit? Or would it be better to just leave it as-is (I already do get a good bit of functionality from the Bluetooth connection to my phone) and use my phone when I need a map? Opinions/feedback would be appreciated!
If your truck has the 5" screen your radio is an RA2. You can install the factory 2018 8.4 UAS non nav radio with apple CarPlay or the 8.4 UAQ radio with Nav and apple CarPlay. The apple CarPlay and android auto will work exactly as factory. You can pick up the radios on Ebay and also order them new from allmoparparts.com who is a vendor on this forum. Many of us have done this and it's a straightforward install. You can do the full conversion by purchasing a conversion harness from M2mods who is also a vendor on the forum which is a plug and play install and use the factory 8.4 bezel and heater controls. I recomend you check the posts in the 4th gen DIY section to get caught up to speed if you decide to go factory. If you have any questions I recommend posting them there. This is a picture of my UAQ after install in my 2014 originally equipped with a RA2 radio.20180119_125001.jpegIMG951070.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
sword3274

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
My mistake on the radio. After your post, Ricks, it does look to be a RA2 radio. This is what I'm working with at the present:
IMG_7457.jpg IMG_7458.jpg

Looks like I'm going to need some extra change for this conversion!

OP
OP
sword3274

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Also Ricks (or anyone), where did you purchase a dash plate for the bigger screen, or how did that work?

EDIT: Did I say I wasn't very knowledgable? I think I'm realizing the "8.4 bezel and heater controls" are what I'm referring to. :p

OP
OP
sword3274

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I have another question - and again, sorry for sounding obtuse - how does navigation work on the RA4? Meaning, how does it get the data? Is this a UConnect thing (which, if I understand, needs a subscription), some internal magic, or does it function another way? Carplay will obviously give me the navigation, but looking at Ricks picture above, this looks to be a function of the onboard navigation. When installed, does the navigation just "work?"

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
nav is a feature you pay a crap ton of money for- like $800 to turn it on in your truck

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have another question - and again, sorry for sounding obtuse - how does navigation work on the RA4? Meaning, how does it get the data? Is this a UConnect thing (which, if I understand, needs a subscription), some internal magic, or does it function another way? Carplay will obviously give me the navigation, but looking at Ricks picture above, this looks to be a function of the onboard navigation. When installed, does the navigation just "work?"
On the UAQ Nav radio there is no $800 activation fee or any other fee for the Nav to work. The UAQ radio has the Nav and Maps loaded from the factory. You can also navigate with apple CarPlay,Google Maps,Waze or android auto with the UAQ so you have tons of options.. The UAS radios do not have Nav loaded from the factory and they are not capable of having the Nav feature loaded but you can run apple CarPlay maps Google maps,Waze or android auto for navigation. If you have the factory navigation on the UAQ radio there's NO Uconnect fee for any features you will use. The navigation is loaded in your radio. There are also other advantages with the UAQ radio such as Travelink and Real Time Traffic ect so its just a matter of preference which one you decide you want. There is a lot of misinformation on a lot of these things from people that don't understand how it all works that's why I recommend you actually go into the 4th gen DIY section read there and ask any questions you might have because all of those threads are monitored by us that have done this and we're more than willing to answer any questions you may have. As I stated earlier if you decide to go with either of these factory systems they install is simple And it will look and perform exactly as factory. There is no Uconnect fee there is no special programming to your radio to make it work.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the UAQ Nav radio there is no $800 activation fee or any other fee for the Nav to work. The UAQ radio has the Nav and Maps loaded from the factory. You can also navigate with apple CarPlay,Google Maps,Waze or android auto with the UAQ so you have tons of options.. The UAS radios do not have Nav loaded from the factory and they are not capable of having the Nav feature loaded but you can run apple CarPlay maps Google maps,Waze or android auto for navigation. If you have the factory navigation on the UAQ radio there's NO Uconnect fee for any features you will use. The navigation is loaded in your radio. There are also other advantages with the UAQ radio such as Travelink and Real Time Traffic ect so its just a matter of preference which one you decide you want. There is a lot of misinformation on a lot of these things from people that don't understand how it all works that's why I recommend you actually go into the 4th gen DIY section read there and ask any questions you might have because all of those threads are monitored by us that have done this and we're more than willing to answer any questions you may have. As I stated earlier if you decide to go with either of these factory systems they install is simple And it will look and perform exactly as factory. There is no Uconnect fee there is no special programming to your radio to make it work.

Also sorry forgot to mention you referred to the the RA4 radio which is the radio from the 2013 to 2017 trucks. These radios are not Apple car play compatible the 2018 radio is going to be the UAS or the UAQ and you will have Apple car play with those radios in your 2018 truck.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also Ricks (or anyone), where did you purchase a dash plate for the bigger screen, or how did that work?

EDIT: Did I say I wasn't very knowledgable? I think I'm realizing the "8.4 bezel and heater controls" are what I'm referring to. :p
You can but them on Ebay or from wrecking yards. There are two versions the Auto Temp Control ATC and the Manual Temp Control MTC. You want the MTC from a 13 to 18 Ram. You will need to purchase the conversion harness from M2mods and purchase the heater control module and then and basically it's plug and play from there. This is a part where it's important for you to do your research so you know what you're buying. I see people buy the incorrect parts all the time because they rush. Unfortunately I have taptalk and it won't let me forward the link to M2mods for you or the thread on doing the UAS/UAQ upgrade. Go into the. Vendor section find M2mods go into their site and go from there. They are great guys and members. They started making harnesses to help out those in need. Their quality is superb and looks and performs as good as factory.

OP
OP
sword3274

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
You can but them on Ebay or from wrecking yards. There are two versions the Auto Temp Control ATC and the Manual Temp Control MTC. You want the MTC from a 13 to 18 Ram. You will need to purchase the conversion harness from M2mods and purchase the heater control module and then and basically it's plug and play from there. This is a part where it's important for you to do your research so you know what you're buying. I see people buy the incorrect parts all the time because they rush. Unfortunately I have taptalk and it won't let me forward the link to M2mods for you or the thread on doing the UAS/UAQ upgrade. Go into the. Vendor section find M2mods go into their site and go from there. They are great guys and members. They started making harnesses to help out those in need. Their quality is superb and looks and performs as good as factory.

So, if I get this complete kit will I still need the conversion harness?

https://www.infotainment.com/collec...4c-nav-uaq-retrofit-kit?variant=5340140372004

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No way in hell I would pay that. Better off buying an aftermarket radio.
Did you read the reply to the incorrect post? It does not cost $800 dollars to activate the Nav on an RA4. The RA4 is activated from the factory and so is the UAQ. You can buy the whole radio for around $500 to $550.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Did you read the reply to the incorrect post? It does not cost $800 dollars to activate the Nav on an RA4. The RA4 is activated from the factory and so is the UAQ. You can buy the whole radio for around $500 to $550.

I didn't know that was an option. Why would the dealer charge $800 to activate it then? wiat-- I know this. Because they can. :(

OP
OP
sword3274

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6

Are you talking about the RA4 or the UAQ for $500-550? Because I can't find that UAQ anywhere under $800 (on Ebay).

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, if I get this complete kit will I still need the conversion harness?

https://www.infotainment.com/collec...4c-nav-uaq-retrofit-kit?variant=5340140372004
I don't recommend buying the kit from Infotainment. You can do it cheaper if you source the parts yourself and there's absolutely no difference in the product they sell to the products you can buy on your own. The conversion harness they sell was invented here. Contact M2mods to order your harness buy your heater control module,8.4 MTC bezel and your radio and you are set. There is no custom programming to make the radio work with your truck. Basically if you buy new radio and installed in your truck you do not need an unlock code. If you buy a used radio and installed it in your truck you will need to get the unlock code which is available several places online to enter a 4 digit code when you put in your truck and then the radio will be locked to your truck. The Travelink will not work when you install the UAQ in your truck until you activate the correct code. If you decide to go with the UAQ we can turn that code on for you with the alpha tool. I dont think Infotainment even as addresses that issue.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you talking about the RA4 or the UAQ for $500-550? Because I can't find that UAQ anywhere under $800 (on Ebay).
The RA4 2013 to 2017 Ram is Nav activated and runs around $500 to $550 and is not apple CarPlay compatible. The UAQ for 2018 Ram runs around $800 to $950 is NAV activated and is compatible with apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The UAQ really doesn't cost much more than the 2018 Ram UAS non NAV activated radio .

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The RA4 2013 to 2017 Ram is Nav activated and runs around $500 to $550 and is not apple CarPlay compatible. The UAQ for 2018 Ram runs around $800 to $950 is NAV activated and is compatible with apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The UAQ really doesn't cost much more than the 2018 Ram UAS non NAV activated radio .

For a couple hundred more you can get that 8” Alpine in the for sale section that has way better features, Apple Car play, and heating/cooling control.
Not to mention a ton of audio features.
And my favorite...3 sets of rca jacks so you don’t have to mess around with all that crap to add an Amp.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sword3274

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6

Okay, I think it's all coming together. I promise, I'll stop asking questions soon! :)

Sounds like four parts: radio, bezel, heater control module, and harness. Harness comes from M2Mods. Sounds good.

Radio: uaq 8.4" with NAV. I see a lot on Ebay that come from various models. Does that matter? I'm guessing not, as long as it's the radio I want. Where are the best places to order one of these? Ebay has quite a few, but I saw what I think I needed on Schram. Is one place better over another?

Same question for the heater control module - where's the best place to get this?

Is allmoparparts the best place for a bezel? This (https://parts.allmoparparts.com/oem...5PTIwMTgmdD10cmFkZXNtYW4mZT0zLTZsLXY2LWZsZXg=) looks like the right part, and is decently priced, but I'm no expert.

Thanks to everyone who has posted answers and advice.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Here what you need for your 18 ram 1500 with an Ra2...

7 speed conversion harness $145 (M² Mods)

Plus from Mopar/salvage yard/Quirk Parts, etc you will need...

18 HVAC module (@ $120) see below
13-18 8.4 bezel ($80-$180)
18 UAx Radio ($700-$1300)
>> 68331631AH (UAQ w/nav) or 68331635AH (UAS)

When using a 18 UAQ or UAS radio (Android Auto/CarPlay) you will need ...
18 HVAC module (vs 13-17) (@ $120)

* 14-18 ram 1500's have a variable displacement compressor (typ. associated with the 7 speed fan)
>> 14-17's = 68268186Ax HVAC module
>> 18's = 68366552AA HVAC module ( get this one)

& Need to match the HVAC module to the 8.4 radio year.

Directions/details & radio PNs can be found in there 2 threads ...

- DIY: 2013+ RA3/RA4 8.4" Radio Conversion Upgrade

How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM.

PS: I'm about to take my lunch break and can talk by phone if you want in the next 5mins. Just send me your phone# by private message/conversation

M² Mods.

Last edited: