Rain visibility issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Hmm, I actually thought the factory wiper blades that came on my 2018 were actually pretty good. I ran them for about six, seven months before I replaced them with the bosch icons. But then again too, my truck is a top-tier Limited so I don’t know if that had anything to do with it and if the lesser trimmed trucks came with the same wiper blades or not.
My factory blades were awesome, but then one summer they literally fell apart lol, turn so brittle I was like wtf happend to them ...so I ended getting the Bosch Icons and I love them!!

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be. my Rebel come with tiny pieces of crap.
Hmm. Strange. Mine looked amazingly similar to the trico force wiper blades that you can buy at O’Reillys.

Attachments

• 9CA095FF-1699-4258-9243-4C77C07371B3.jpeg
    9CA095FF-1699-4258-9243-4C77C07371B3.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 6

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hmm. Strange. Mine looked amazingly similar to the trico force wiper blades that you can buy at O’Reillys.

Those look better than what I had. I don't have pic, I changed them couple days after I got the Truck.
Put Bosch icons.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
can't even remember. too old :)
I hear ya. Being that my 2018 is a limited and being that it’s the only 4th Gen I’ve ever owned, I just kind of assumed that the wiper blades my truck came with were the same on all the trucks brand new.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Pretty much any of those wax as you dry products work pretty good that I’ve tried but as far as which one of those that I like the best would be a tossup between the Meguires you can get pretty much anywhere and the Chemical Guys or Adams Polish.
Thanks Cornelleous.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My factory blades were awesome, but then one summer they literally fell apart lol, turn so brittle I was like wtf happend to them ...so I ended getting the Bosch Icons and I love them!!
Same here, factory blades came apart at 5 1/2 years living in north jersey. Worked well right until then. Replaced with rainx silicone blades. Work well, no complaints. Not sure why I didn’t replace with stock wipers.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Some people love rain x and im not knocking it when it comes to repelling rain, but it has it's issues and I have seen so many people who before I even start to detail their vehicles they mention their number one concern and most of the times it's the windshields, inside and out.

I will then ask them what have they applied to both the interior and exterior of the windshields and 90% of the time it is rain x .... I then take a look and there is this thick film on the outside so the only thing it can be is the rain x especially when the thing they all have in common is using rain x ...

It's probably due to improper application, but after I detail their vehicles, apply a ceramic coating on their windows, they are amazed at the difference. You just can't go wrong with ceramic coating especially on the windshields ...
I've never tried using a ceramic coating.
OK, so I'm willing to try something different.
Specifically what product should I use that I can buy locally at Walmart or Autozone?

Highway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Specifically what product should I use that I can buy locally at Walmart or Autozone?
Interested also, would we need a ceramics window coating or ceramics wax for the paint? Now i have been using zaino detail spray on my glass.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Some people love rain x and im not knocking it when it comes to repelling rain, but it has it's issues and I have seen so many people who before I even start to detail their vehicles they mention their number one concern and most of the times it's the windshields, inside and out.

I will then ask them what have they applied to both the interior and exterior of the windshields and 90% of the time it is rain x .... I then take a look and there is this thick film on the outside so the only thing it can be is the rain x especially when the thing they all have in common is using rain x ...

It's probably due to improper application, but after I detail their vehicles, apply a ceramic coating on their windows, they are amazed at the difference. You just can't go wrong with ceramic coating especially on the windshields ...
Could be some application errors. I have been using RainX for many, many years. I re-apply every time I wash one of our vehicles, just to be on the safe side. Never had any ill effects or buildup. It ALWAYS works awesome in the rain. I disable my auto wipers, because they are just generally not needed when driving in the rain.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
Bought mine new as well dealt with the same problem. It was the GARBAGE wiper blades on the truck. Not only that they fell apart by the second year. (plus the truck is kept under a roof) WHATEVER you do , do NOT buy the cheapest brand the place is selling. I bought the cheapies at Walmart and they were actually worse. Went and got a better set and the view is much better. "I can see clearly now the rain is gone. I can see all obstacles in my way. "

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Walmart or Autozone won't have true ceramic coatings .... order it from amazon here is a list that you can get that will work fine ..

Avalon King Armor Shield - from their website
Gtechniq - from amazon
CARPRO CQUARTS - from amazon

I use Avalon King's Armor Shield the most and it works really good ...

Forestry_Ridge

Wildland firefighter/EMT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Claybar the whole window, don't use a razor blade, these new windows will scratch very easily with razor blades ...then buy some ceramic coating and coat the window .... don't use rainx or any waxes ... also don't use angel hair 0000 steel wool, it's good stuff but not on new windows.
I second this, I’ve got a 2022 forest service ram i am assigned to currently and we had some issues with it over the summer. Captain tried the razor blade trick and it just put some nice little scratches in it.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I second this, I’ve got a 2022 forest service ram i am assigned to currently and we had some issues with it over the summer. Captain tried the razor blade trick and it just put some nice little scratches in it.
Don't get me wrong, a razor blade can really clean up the windows, but if someone doesn't know at what angle to do it they can really ruin their windows especially the windshield ....

I would just use the claybar method, wipe down really good and apply a ceramic coating ...

Ceramic coatings also help during the winter, ice won't stick to it

Forestry_Ridge

Wildland firefighter/EMT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Don't get me wrong, a razor blade can really clean up the windows, but if someone doesn't know at what angle to do it they can really ruin their windows especially the windshield ....

I would just use the claybar method, wipe down really good and apply a ceramic coating ...

Ceramic coatings also help during the winter, ice won't stick to it
Yeah. One of the maintenance guys ended up using s clay at and doing something else. Haven’t had an issue since. Im going to miss the old girl when she gets sent to a new ranger station in a week or two

Ironhead3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
I am certainly not trying to argue with anyone at all, but I am 60 years old, and have been cleaning/detailing vehicles, from simple wash jobs to full 4 stage wet sanding/buffing, cars to tractor trailers, for over 45 years - 15 of those years as my only occupation either at car dealerships or my own business, and over 30 years of doing it evenings/weekends - and I have a couple comments about what people said about RAIN-X:
I must be lucky when it comes to RAIN-X windshield washer fluid because I have always used it, and I never had a washer pump plug up on a vehicle. The people that don't agree with this statement are going to say that it will if used long enough. The company I work for now bought two Ford F150's from me - a 2011 and a 2014, both trucks I had bought new, kept for 2 or 2-1/2 years, putting 20-25,000 kms (12-15,000 miles) on each. The company still has them in daily use, with 275,000 kms on the 2011, and 235,000 kms on the 2014. The 2014 I drive as a company truck, and use pink RAIN-X in it all summer every year.........no pump plugging yet???
As far as using RAIN-X repellant on the windshield, again the 2014 has had it applied regularly since new (windshield has been changed once in 232,000 kms due to a rock breaking it) and I don't see a problem with long term use???
I WILL NOT DRIVE WITHOUT IT!!!!!!! I live in Atlantic Canada, where we see summer temps from 40 C (104F) to -40C (-40F) in the winter, and everything from severe rain due to hurricane remnants, to heavy snow, to freezing rain, etc., etc.
As far as I am concerned, RAIN-X is the best thing to make driving in rain, snow, the spray off vehicles on the highway easier and safer than anything I have tried. People will probably laugh when they read this, but I could, and would if someone wants to wager LOL take the wipers arms off my 2019 RAM and drive in any weather other than summer bugs.

Bad Tiki

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L
The best thing I have used was called Aquapel , had the dealer do it, fairly cheap ($30)and last quite long (6-8months).
This works so well unless huge downpour I don’t even need the wipers. And with wipers there is no white/film smear after it passes . Also big plus ice and snow don’t stick to the glass. Even that armor like freezing rain just comes right off.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
The best thing I have used was called Aquapel , had the dealer do it, fairly cheap ($30)and last quite long (6-8months).
This works so well unless huge downpour I don’t even need the wipers. And with wipers there is no white/film smear after it passes . Also big plus ice and snow don’t stick to the glass. Even that armor like freezing rain just comes right off.
I actually like Aquapel better than RainX ... last longer, it lasted almost 10 months on my old toyota corolla a few years back ...

bankshot

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
I have used it in my bike wind shield and on my truck shield. I would rather remove the windshield and wear a pair of goggles. It’s great as long as it doesn’t rain.