Rain visibility issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Actually the new windshields, side windows and in our trucks rear windows (any window with in 6ft of the driver) since 2018 is a laminated glass. Therefore it is coated inside and out and cannot be shattered like old glass. i.e. the emergency glass breaking tools no longer work it has to be cut thru!

That being the case any thing that could damage the laminate that the truck was exposed too in shipping or manufacture could / would have damages it.

In short be very careful using a razor on these windows as it can and will bite in to the laminate.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm having an issue seeing in the rain and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue? I have a 2021 ram warlock I just bought last spring. 0 mi. Since then driving in the rain is horrible. The window is like a 20 year old window that's pitted. I've tried rain-x, I've tried my old school trick of using buffed on carnauba wax and it's still goes bad after 2 or 3 wipes. I've never had a vehicle with such horrible window visibility. Even my old cheap Nissan cube, Versa, and Integra all with 100,000+ miles on them had a better window than this BRAND NEW Warlock.

Anyone else have this issue?
It sounds like you purchased the vehicle new, but is there a Ram logo in the lower right side (passenger side) of the windshield? If not, it's not a factory windshield.

My ex, before we got married, once complained about a similar problem. I got the Windex out and tried to clean the glass. Something just didn't seem right, so I resorted to an old timers method and used straight vinegar on the glass. Whatever it was came off and resolved the issue.

There may be something on the glass, or the glass is defective.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 78809 miles

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Walmart or Autozone won't have true ceramic coatings .... order it from amazon here is a list that you can get that will work fine ..

Avalon King Armor Shield - from their website
Gtechniq - from amazon
CARPRO CQUARTS - from amazon

I use Avalon King's Armor Shield the most and it works really good ...
THANK YOU!

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just got my Ram back in May so it hasn't been through a Minnesota winter yet. But here is my experience with many other vehicals. We have colder temps here than anyone who isn't in North Dakora, Canada, or Alaska and we get salt + chemical slurry, sand and gereal road crap 3 or 4 months out of the year.

I find the best solution is to keep the glass as clean as possible. There is so much hand sanitizer kicking around the house lately that I've started using it for cleaning and found it works quite well. Note it's active ingredient is just alcohol but since it's a gel, it's easier to squirt on a rag and use. Also doesn't freeze while you work, at least at any temp where I'd be doing this. I dislike waxes and coatings of any kid as they seem to interfere with being really clean.

PS: my biggest visibility problem is that my eyes are 61 years old rather than 30 and I'm told I can't trade them in on a newer model :)

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been using Rain-X washer fluid since the original washer fluid ran empty after I bought the truck new a year and a half ago and I have never had an issue. I've used 2 gallons of it since. In fact I hardly ever need to use the wipers anymore, which by the way they are the original wiper blades that came on the truck new.

Ironhead3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
The best thing I have used was called Aquapel , had the dealer do it, fairly cheap ($30)and last quite long (6-8months).
This works so well unless huge downpour I don’t even need the wipers. And with wipers there is no white/film smear after it passes . Also big plus ice and snow don’t stick to the glass. Even that armor like freezing rain just comes right off.
I never heard tell of this product. Very good information and I will check into this, because RainX doesn't last that long

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Actually the new windshields, side windows and in our trucks rear windows (any window with in 6ft of the driver) since 2018 is a laminated glass. Therefore it is coated inside and out and cannot be shattered like old glass. i.e. the emergency glass breaking tools no longer work it has to be cut thru!

That being the case any thing that could damage the laminate that the truck was exposed too in shipping or manufacture could / would have damages it.

In short be very careful using a razor on these windows as it can and will bite in to the laminate.
But they seem to know it all @TomB 1269 lol ... I have seen so many windshields get scratched up with just a squeegee at times ...

atech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
50+ years ago, we just used a potato. Sugar and starch in potato cause water to bead. The vacuum wiper days when you floored the gas, the wipers would stop. Lol

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't even have my truck ceramic coating so no, I am not promoting ceramic coating ... quick to assume ...

You are telling someone who probably has never used a razor blade on a windshield to use it with a higher risk of scratching it ... the most simple and safest method is to use a claybar kit, clean it up with either 80/20 IPA solution or water vinegar ..

That same bottle of ceramic coating can be used on his wheels, on his headlights, for so many things and it doesn't have to be an expensive brand of ceramic coating lol ..

I don't promote a single product as a detailer, I don't even let customers know what I use especially when it comes to coatings, waxes or cleaners.

But by all means go ahead and disagree lol, I am the one that gets called to polish up a windshield that was scratched up by razor blades and my starting price to polish a windshield is $300 and that's because a lot of people don't want to replace their windshields with non OEM ones, so they have no choice in the minds than to pay to get their windshields polished...

Again, my method and recommendation is the safe one, proven and will last years and the most it will cost you is $20 for a claybar kit and $50-$75 for a bottle of ceramic coating which can be without having to call a detailer or going into a shop ... tops $75 and you don't risk scratching up your window, clogging your pump.

Have a good night kid ...
80/20 IPA solution?

India Pale Ale ?? :) I guess that could work hahahah

Rambo71

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
0000 steel wool and Windex, then Rain-x a few times a year on every window and exterior mirrors. No issues with any brand wiper. Have Bosch now, but I've used Rain-X brand, Tricos, you name it (Change them every year anyway). Proper application of the Rain-x is the key to it's longevity, IMHO.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
Your all WRONG!!!! Here is the answer! Get a motorcycle and make it your daily transportation. They have no wiper blades, even if they have a "windshield". And most riders have the top of the windshield at chin level, so you DO NOT HAVE TO LOOK THROUGH IT. You will get used to seeing in the rain. Drove my second wife nuts, as I did not even turn them on! She used to ask (sarcastically of course) do the wipers work? So I fixed that by taking her out on the bike in the rain for a ride. Now she doesn't mind at all. Only problem I have now, is she like the motorcycle so much she has one of her own, and now does not like being a passenger! SO I LOST MY BACKREST!!!!
Have taken four bikes over 100k each the fifth is approaching 50K. So I know! As a school bus driver I will tell you what I tell my passengers: If you walk between the rain drops you will NEVER get wet. So same goes, just drive between the drops!!!!!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your all WRONG!!!! Here is the answer! Get a motorcycle and make it your daily transportation. They have no wiper blades, even if they have a "windshield". And most riders have the top of the windshield at chin level, so you DO NOT HAVE TO LOOK THROUGH IT. You will get used to seeing in the rain. Drove my second wife nuts, as I did not even turn them on! She used to ask (sarcastically of course) do the wipers work? So I fixed that by taking her out on the bike in the rain for a ride. Now she doesn't mind at all. Only problem I have now, is she like the motorcycle so much she has one of her own, and now does not like being a passenger! SO I LOST MY BACKREST!!!!
Have taken four bikes over 100k each the fifth is approaching 50K. So I know! As a school bus driver I will tell you what I tell my passengers: If you walk between the rain drops you will NEVER get wet. So same goes, just drive between the drops!!!!!
Interesting concept, neva have been able to drive between the raindrops on my ride, LOL.

ADDED: A good set of premium wipers always helps, instead of going the cheap way, your visibility will suffer. Also helps to clean those pieces of glass sometimes and TC of wipers, but most PPL, and I am guilty too, just neglect it.

Attachments

• IMG_1188.JPG
    IMG_1188.JPG
    258.6 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
0000 steel wool and Windex, then Rain-x a few times a year on every window and exterior mirrors. No issues with any brand wiper. Have Bosch now, but I've used Rain-X brand, Tricos, you name it (Change them every year anyway). Proper application of the Rain-x is the key to it's longevity, IMHO.
NO! you can't use 0000 steel wool on these windows!

They are not like the windows before, these windows get scratched up very easily because they have an outer laminate layer !!!!

Amazing seriously, yes 0000 steel wool works amazingly on some windows, but not these. You can only use it on windows that are pure glass, not on laminated windows ...

OP
OP
dbr7

dbr7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Wow someone is replies thank you. I wasn't getting my notifications.

I have used clay bar on my paints for years but I never thought of using it on my windows. I will give that a try. As for the Rain-X I've never really had a clogging issue. Both of my nissan's, which have very tiny hoses, never clogged up, but I will hold off I'm using it.

I will try a clay bar and ceramic coating. I will probably have to just clay bar for now and put ceramic on next year because I'm in upstate New York where it's going to be too cold apply it.

OP
OP
dbr7

dbr7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Interesting concept, neva have been able to drive between the raindrops on my ride, LOL.

ADDED: A good set of premium wipers always helps, instead of going the cheap way, your visibility will suffer. Also helps to clean those pieces of glass sometimes and TC of wipers, but most PPL, and I am guilty too, just neglect it.
Lol!!! I would love to ride my Harley-Davidson Night Train all year round but unfortunately I live in upstate New York where we have cold Winters and lots of road salt. Not going to happen. I was thinking about buying a Can-Am like my cousins in the UK and ride you around but haven't scraped out 15,000 yet just for a winter roadster LOL

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol!!! I would love to ride my Harley-Davidson Night Train all year round but unfortunately I live in upstate New York where we have cold Winters and lots of road salt. Not going to happen. I was thinking about buying a Can-Am like my cousins in the UK and ride you around but haven't scraped out 15,000 yet just for a winter roadster LOL
During the winter, I run my Bike to town at least once a week to heat up and move the oil. But if it gets below 45, not so much. I am big time aware of winters there, was stationed at Plattsburgh back in the day. The wind off of Lake Champlain was brutal.

I really wanted to get a 22/23 new Wing Trike, but at 54K +++, not gonna happen in this century, lol.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Wow someone is replies thank you. I wasn't getting my notifications.

I have used clay bar on my paints for years but I never thought of using it on my windows. I will give that a try. As for the Rain-X I've never really had a clogging issue. Both of my nissan's, which have very tiny hoses, never clogged up, but I will hold off I'm using it.

I will try a clay bar and ceramic coating. I will probably have to just clay bar for now and put ceramic on next year because I'm in upstate New York where it's going to be too cold apply it.
Claybar will really make a difference even if you don't use ceramic coating ... slap the rain-x on there , if it's worked for you in the past go for it again ... then when it starts getting warmer you can do the ceramic coating ...

You can also apply the ceramic coating using a heat gun, do one quarter at a time, keep the heat gun about 12 inches from the windshield and as soon as you see it start flashing, looking like oil spill, rainbow effect, buff it off with a clean micro fiber towel ...

I have applied ceramic coatings in the cold a few times and it's worked fine ...

OP
OP
dbr7

dbr7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I tried clay bar and some ceramic and it came out all right but I think there's something wrong with this windshield. It's just ridiculous I've never had a windshield this horrible. Even my old 10-year to 20-year-old cars where better than this. I'm going to talk to the dealer about getting it replaced I don't warranty.