Rain visibility issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbr7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I'm having an issue seeing in the rain and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue? I have a 2021 ram warlock I just bought last spring. 0 mi. Since then driving in the rain is horrible. The window is like a 20 year old window that's pitted. I've tried rain-x, I've tried my old school trick of using buffed on carnauba wax and it's still goes bad after 2 or 3 wipes. I've never had a vehicle with such horrible window visibility. Even my old cheap Nissan cube, Versa, and Integra all with 100,000+ miles on them had a better window than this BRAND NEW Warlock.

Anyone else have this issue?

Last edited:

zrock

Reaction score
Have you tried new wipers? Take razor blade and scrape it across the window and see what you pull up Sounds like you may have over spray or something on the window, i just had to deal with the same thing after some fool painted close to my truck.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Claybar the whole window, don't use a razor blade, these new windows will scratch very easily with razor blades ...then buy some ceramic coating and coat the window .... don't use rainx or any waxes ... also don't use angel hair 0000 steel wool, it's good stuff but not on new windows.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I used RainX on my 18 2500's windshield. Worked awesome, like it has on all of our vehicles for years. I put in on my 22 2500's windshield at it's first wash last week, but I've not driven it in the rain yet.

Clay barring yours, fresh RainX and getting new wipers sounds like a good plan.

Last edited:

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Disregard the above information about not using a razor blade or Rain-X or waxes. That's all faults The new windshields are actually harder not softer They don't scratch easy. One of the best things you can do is run Rain-X washer fluid, a good razor blade scrape then clean windshield really well with Windex or vinegar and water, dry it really well give it a good coating of Rain-X window treatment or as you've done buff in a good wax coating and then most importantly use some rubbing alcohol and clean your wiper blades This isn't needed if you are replacing a wiper blades with new ones but it's good to always clean your wiper blades every so often with alcohol It really extends a life of them.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Hold up there !!!!!!

Original Rain-X will plug the pump in the reservoir

I think there is something in the solution that jells at the pump

A friend of mine had a plexiglas windshield on his motor cycle & he used Rain-X on it, he ended up buying a new windshield.
Since then, many of my friends that ride have had a similar experience.

statement from Rain-X

the OTHER Rain-X
Rain‑X® Plastic Water Repellent provides a superior water beading coating on various plastics including Lexan®, Plexiglas®, Perspex®, Lucite®, Acrylics and Polycarbonate. Watch water bead up and roll away on motorcycle windscreens, goggles, visors and boat windshields for improved visibility!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
^^^ this
I run Bosch ICON wiper blades year round and the windows are clear even in a heavy rainfall on the freeway.
That's the blades I have on my truck, over a year now with them on and they still look like new ..I got them last May and put them on my wife's lexus as well ...

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Disregard the above information about not using a razor blade or Rain-X or waxes. That's all faults The new windshields are actually harder not softer They don't scratch easy. One of the best things you can do is run Rain-X washer fluid, a good razor blade scrape then clean windshield really well with Windex or vinegar and water, dry it really well give it a good coating of Rain-X window treatment or as you've done buff in a good wax coating and then most importantly use some rubbing alcohol and clean your wiper blades This isn't needed if you are replacing a wiper blades with new ones but it's good to always clean your wiper blades every so often with alcohol It really extends a life of them.
I do mobile detailing and the one thing I come across is people who used razor blades on their windshields and they are all scratched ... rain x causes build up especially with road grime over time and that is a fact ...

Rain x in the pump is the worst thing to do, just like @GTyankee said, it plugs up the pumps and the lines ...

But hey what do I know lol ...

Simple, best thing for windows especially the windshield is a good ceramic coating ...

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I do mobile detailing and the one thing I come across is people who used razor blades on their windshields and they are all scratched ... rain x causes build up especially with road grime over time and that is a fact ...

Rain x in the pump is the worst thing to do, just like @GTyankee said, it plugs up the pumps and the lines ...

But hey what do I know lol ...

Simple, best thing for windows especially the windshield is a good ceramic coating ...
Well I'll agree to disagree on that one. I've been running Rain-X pretty much since it came out way way back before they even made Rain-X washer fluid. I have never had a single issue with a washer fluid pump from Rain-X. Somebody would have to be literally holding a razor blade vertical to scratch a glass especially on newer vehicles with the more resistant windshield. Holding the blade out about a 10 to 15° angle and scraping the glass like you're supposed to yields absolutely perfect results and zero scratching. Again with the Rain-X there is definitely no buildup on the windshield whatsoever as a matter of fact if you apply Rain-X and don't use Rain-X windshield washer fluid regular washer fluid will completely remove rain-X in about 5 to 6 months use if you supplement it with washer fluid you'll get well over a year before you need to reapply the windshield treatment. Same goes for aquapelle treatment. Buffing in a good wax works also personally I don't find it works as well as the windshield treatments. And yes ceramic coating does work also but usually way more expensive and will still need to be reapplied down the road adding to that expense again versus a $6 bottle of Rain-X windshield treatment that lasts about 15 applications.

It never fails that the guys that are dead set against Rain-X and Rain-X washer fluid are almost always car detailer guys that are promoting ceramic coatings. It's funny 10 years ago before ceramic coatings took off Rain-X and aquapelle were heavily promoted by detail guys especially aquafel as it was a tad bit more expensive so it could be sold at a higher premium.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Well I'll agree to disagree on that one. I've been running Rain-X pretty much since it came out way way back before they even made Rain-X washer fluid. I have never had a single issue with a washer fluid pump from Rain-X. Somebody would have to be literally holding a razor blade vertical to scratch a glass especially on newer vehicles with the more resistant windshield. Holding the blade out about a 10 to 15° angle and scraping the glass like you're supposed to yields absolutely perfect results and zero scratching. Again with the Rain-X there is definitely no buildup on the windshield whatsoever as a matter of fact if you apply Rain-X and don't use Rain-X windshield washer fluid regular washer fluid will completely remove rain-X in about 5 to 6 months use if you supplement it with washer fluid you'll get well over a year before you need to reapply the windshield treatment. Same goes for aquapelle treatment. Buffing in a good wax works also personally I don't find it works as well as the windshield treatments. And yes ceramic coating does work also but usually way more expensive and will still need to be reapplied down the road adding to that expense again versus a $6 bottle of Rain-X windshield treatment that lasts about 15 applications.

It never fails that the guys that are dead set against Rain-X and Rain-X washer fluid are almost always car detailer guys that are promoting ceramic coatings. It's funny 10 years ago before ceramic coatings took off Rain-X and aquapelle were heavily promoted by detail guys especially aquafel as it was a tad bit more expensive so it could be sold at a higher premium.
I don't even have my truck ceramic coating so no, I am not promoting ceramic coating ... quick to assume ...

You are telling someone who probably has never used a razor blade on a windshield to use it with a higher risk of scratching it ... the most simple and safest method is to use a claybar kit, clean it up with either 80/20 IPA solution or water vinegar ..

That same bottle of ceramic coating can be used on his wheels, on his headlights, for so many things and it doesn't have to be an expensive brand of ceramic coating lol ..

I don't promote a single product as a detailer, I don't even let customers know what I use especially when it comes to coatings, waxes or cleaners.

But by all means go ahead and disagree lol, I am the one that gets called to polish up a windshield that was scratched up by razor blades and my starting price to polish a windshield is $300 and that's because a lot of people don't want to replace their windshields with non OEM ones, so they have no choice in the minds than to pay to get their windshields polished...

Again, my method and recommendation is the safe one, proven and will last years and the most it will cost you is $20 for a claybar kit and $50-$75 for a bottle of ceramic coating which can be without having to call a detailer or going into a shop ... tops $75 and you don't risk scratching up your window, clogging your pump.

Have a good night kid ...

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m still using the same factory installed windshield but I guess I don’t have that problem because every time I wash my pickup, I use that wax as you dry and a lot of times I don’t even have to use my windshield wipers when it rains.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I’m still using the same factory installed windshield but I guess I don’t have that problem because every time I wash my pickup, I use that wax as you dry and a lot of times I don’t even have to use my windshield wipers when it rains.
Which wax is that. ? Thanks

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Which wax is that. ? Thanks
Pretty much any of those wax as you dry products work pretty good that I’ve tried but as far as which one of those that I like the best would be a tossup between the Meguires you can get pretty much anywhere and the Chemical Guys or Adams Polish.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That was one of the issues when I got my Truck. The wipers on this thing are just garbage.
Many companies usually don't put great wipers, but I expected a little better on a Truck.

Buy better ones as few people mentioned above. I also added ceramic coating (did the whole truck, but just doing windows doesn't take long)
I used Adams, I also have Meguires. Adams has one for "glass/windows" or the general one. I have both. $20-$30 for bottle or something like that shipped free.
Better than rainx in my view.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That was one of the issues when I got my Truck. The wipers on this thing are just garbage.
Many companies usually don't put great wipers, but I expected a little better on a Truck.

Buy better ones as few people mentioned above. I also added ceramic coating (did the whole truck, but just doing windows doesn't take long)
I used Adams, I also have Meguires. Adams has one for "glass/windows" or the general one. I have both. $20-$30 for bottle or something like that shipped free.
Better than rainx in my view.
Hmm, I actually thought the factory wiper blades that came on my 2018 were actually pretty good. I ran them for about six, seven months before I replaced them with the bosch icons. But then again too, my truck is a top-tier Limited so I don’t know if that had anything to do with it and if the lesser trimmed trucks came with the same wiper blades or not.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hmm, I actually thought the factory wiper blades that came on my 2018 were actually pretty good. I ran them for about six, seven months before I replaced them with the bosch icons. But then again too, my truck is a top-tier Limited so I don’t know if that had anything to do with it and if the lesser trimmed trucks came with the same wiper blades or not.
Could be. my Rebel come with tiny pieces of crap.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I have been using Rain X for years and still do. There have been months at a time that I never used my wipers. I find if I apply once every 3 months or so it beads right off in a good rain.
Some people love rain x and im not knocking it when it comes to repelling rain, but it has it's issues and I have seen so many people who before I even start to detail their vehicles they mention their number one concern and most of the times it's the windshields, inside and out.

I will then ask them what have they applied to both the interior and exterior of the windshields and 90% of the time it is rain x .... I then take a look and there is this thick film on the outside so the only thing it can be is the rain x especially when the thing they all have in common is using rain x ...

It's probably due to improper application, but after I detail their vehicles, apply a ceramic coating on their windows, they are amazed at the difference. You just can't go wrong with ceramic coating especially on the windshields ...