RAM 1500 2017 brake squealing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruggy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hi, I bought the truck new July 2017 and now at 28,000km. Whenever I stop, it squeals either pressing hard and/or soft. Both fronts seem to be generating the noise and possibly the back. Had to get help from passengers to listen where they are coming from. Anyhow, I took all the brake pads out and clean them as they were filthy. The pads were smooth and thick. No obvious dent or abnormally. I applied the brake silicon gel appropriately at the mechanic area so not on the pads. The discs are smooth and shiny with no rush and no dent. After few days, the noise is back. Wondering if other user experiencing with the same issue? Anything I can do to check before taking to the dealership?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Most likely your braking too light for too long when coming to a stop. You should be continually increasing pressure as you stop. A couple of good hard stops and the squealing will most likely go away.
As it was explained to me by someone that runs brake dynos all day, it's not so much the pressure applied that wears brakes out it's how long they're in contact with the rotor. This guy does more brake jobs in a month than a brake shop does all year, testing brake set ups for the automotive industry.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hi, I bought the truck new July 2017 and now at 28,000km. Whenever I stop, it squeals either pressing hard and/or soft. Both fronts seem to be generating the noise and possibly the back. Had to get help from passengers to listen where they are coming from. Anyhow, I took all the brake pads out and clean them as they were filthy. The pads were smooth and thick. No obvious dent or abnormally. I applied the brake silicon gel appropriately at the mechanic area so not on the pads. The discs are smooth and shiny with no rush and no dent. After few days, the noise is back. Wondering if other user experiencing with the same issue? Anything I can do to check before taking to the dealership?

Hi @Ruggy - I apologize that you are experiencing this concern with your truck! If you do work with your dealer, please know that you can reach out to our Canadian Customer Care team for further support. You may submit your info at https://forms.chryslercanada.ca/contact/en/contactCCI.php?brand=dodge or call 1-800-361-3700.

Mark
RamCares

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You went to the trouble to take off the brake pads and clean them? That's old school right there. Next time you take the pads off, try putting wagner oex back in it's place. Low dusting or ceramic pads should help.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you put any lube in the back of the pads where they contact the ears of the caliper/caliper piston? There's a good chance that's where the noise is coming from.

Also what did you use for lube? I have had excellent luck with this Permatex lube.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018PSASU/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_JEO1EbH99RTG1

I just changed my brakes a month ago and after 3 years in New England there was still quite a bit of the Pernatex still on there. Nothing was seized either.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My ‘17 1500 does it periodically as well. So does my ‘16 Power Wagon. I thought it was just a Ram thing, no?