Ram 1500 acceleration issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meisterm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Model 1500
Engine
5.7L Hemi wth MDS
Newbie to the forum. Hopefully someone can help me out. I have a 2014 Ram 1500 with 5.7L Hemi and MDFS. I have two issues with my truck that have me stumped. On a recent 1000 mile trip I noticed that my gas mileage was poorer than usual. In addition, when the engine is cold, the RPMs flutter about 50-100 RPMs when driving at a steady speed with steady accelerator. After the vehicel warms up, after 10 miuniutes or so, the problem goes away. The RPMs go up and down in an instant; back to the original 1500 RPMs. This repeats about every 3 or 4 seconds until the truck is warm.
The second issue is with acceleration. When accelerating from low RPMs, and especially between low gears I often get a hesitation or shudder while accelerating. I doesn't seem to be as pronounced in the higher gears and it doesn't seem to occur when I floor it with higher RPMs. It also seems to be more evident when going up hills.
I drove it back another 1000 miles but the problem still persistes. Luckily with highway driving it doesn't manifest itself very much.
I changed the plugs and checked the PCV valve and cleaned the throttle body but nto the engie if it's not the problem.o noticeable difference. I plan to change out the IAT sensor and possibly the throttle body with throttle position sensor next. Could it possibly be the VVT? I hear horror stories about the lifters and camshaft but I don't want to even consider that and put that work in if it's not the problem. By the way, I don't hear any loud or abnormal knocking from the engine. Thanks in advance.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How many miles on the truck ?

OP
OP
M

meisterm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Model 1500
Engine
5.7L Hemi wth MDS
In addition I have changed out the MAP sensor and went to manual gear mode to eliminate MDS and no change in behavior.

OP
OP
M

meisterm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Model 1500
Engine
5.7L Hemi wth MDS
No codes thrown. Also changed out the IAT sensor with no change.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
8 speed transmission? I have seen some people who own the older 8 speed trucks have some issues with torque converter lockup. Yours seems to have some symptoms of that but not all. These transmissions can lock the converter pretty low, like 3rd gear I think. Ever had the transmission fluid checked or changed?

OP
OP
M

meisterm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Model 1500
Engine
5.7L Hemi wth MDS
I do indeed have the 8 speed. I changed the fluid about 8-9 months ago. Hopefully I filled it correctly.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
RPM fluctuations, I would suggest you check your intake bolts to see if they are tight.

What you are describing is a pulsing that could indicate a leak. Intake bolts have known to loosen over time.

Don't go gorilla as the torque specs are very low like 96 to 108 INCH lbs.and you are tighten into plastic

PT-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Newbie to the forum. Hopefully someone can help me out. I have a 2014 Ram 1500 with 5.7L Hemi and MDFS. I have two issues with my truck that have me stumped. On a recent 1000 mile trip I noticed that my gas mileage was poorer than usual. In addition, when the engine is cold, the RPMs flutter about 50-100 RPMs when driving at a steady speed with steady accelerator. After the vehicel warms up, after 10 miuniutes or so, the problem goes away. The RPMs go up and down in an instant; back to the original 1500 RPMs. This repeats about every 3 or 4 seconds until the truck is warm.
The second issue is with acceleration. When accelerating from low RPMs, and especially between low gears I often get a hesitation or shudder while accelerating. I doesn't seem to be as pronounced in the higher gears and it doesn't seem to occur when I floor it with higher RPMs. It also seems to be more evident when going up hills.
I drove it back another 1000 miles but the problem still persistes. Luckily with highway driving it doesn't manifest itself very much.
I changed the plugs and checked the PCV valve and cleaned the throttle body but nto the engie if it's not the problem.o noticeable difference. I plan to change out the IAT sensor and possibly the throttle body with throttle position sensor next. Could it possibly be the VVT? I hear horror stories about the lifters and camshaft but I don't want to even consider that and put that work in if it's not the problem. By the way, I don't hear any loud or abnormal knocking from the engine. Thanks in advance.
WOW, I also have a 2014 Ram with the 8-speed tranny and 5.7 Hemi. I have the EXACT same issues. I noticed the 'blip' in RMPs a few months ago, and just this past weekend, I noticed the 'shudder' when accelerating up a hill. My truck has 112k miles.
Have you had any luck resolving this issue? I have to think these 2 issues are related and it seems like it is something 'electrical'.
My first attempt is to change the MAP sensor, which I hope to do soon.
PLEASE HELP!!!

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
In addition I have changed out the MAP sensor and went to manual gear mode to eliminate MDS and no change in behavior.

No codes thrown. Also changed out the IAT sensor with no change.
Hopefully you bit the bullet and used OE sensors. Our Rams are quite picky when it comes to sensors.

Also, please keep us posted, especially if you do get a fix on your issue. It will help others down the road. So many people post about an issue and then, crickets.

PT-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After researching other forums, it sounds like we may both be experiencing early tranny issues. Sounds like others have had success using Lubegard Shudder Fixx.

RamHemi14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
WOW, I also have a 2014 Ram with the 8-speed tranny and 5.7 Hemi. I have the EXACT same issues. I noticed the 'blip' in RMPs a few months ago, and just this past weekend, I noticed the 'shudder' when accelerating up a hill. My truck has 112k miles.
Have you had any luck resolving this issue? I have to think these 2 issues are related and it seems like it is something 'electrical'.
My first attempt is to change the MAP sensor, which I hope to do soon.
PLEASE HELP!!!

Not what you're going to want to hear but I had these same issues with the shudder and stuff. Dealership said my trans was bad (8speed) and I ended up replacing it. It was about 1 year ago. I was just over 100k miles on the truck. I believe I paid a little over $5k. 2014 Ram

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4 Crew White/Chrome
After researching other forums, it sounds like we may both be experiencing early tranny issues. Sounds like others have had success using Lubegard Shudder Fixx.
This sounds like just a torque converter and/or fluid problem, not necessarily a bad transmission. Any additional info since your last post?